Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Repairing worn toe in neoprene

Default Repairing worn toe in neoprene

I am starting to wear little holes in the toes of my waders. It is being caused from my big toe rubbing inside my boots. I have some cheap coleman seam sealer, but don't think it is really doing the trick. Would something like aquaseal work better? Don't want to fork over a few hundred bucks for new waders.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Repairing worn toe in neoprene

Aquaseal is bar none the best stuff I've used to repair waders. Keep in mind, less is more with Aquaseal. If you can do a good coat, let it dry then another one or two that would be best.

Are you dealing with holes on the inside or outside of the neoprene bootie? Also, is it on the top of the foot or bottom? The reason I ask is that while Aquaseal does a great job sealing holes, once cured it does have a little grip to it. It's not tacky, but it grips soft materials like socks or clothing.

Which make/model of waders do you own? I know that Orvis and Simms both do repairs. If you don't want to take the chances of botching a repair (which I've done) and have them done professionally, both companies do an excellent job at reasonable prices.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

3. Likes kayo liked this post
    Blog Entries

I repaired a similar problem using a piece of nylon fabric cut into a little strip and pre fit. Then I covered the area with Aqua Seal and once it tacked up I put the little patch over it. I used the fabric because I had repaired booties before and knew that too much aqua seal makes the bootie hard to get into the wading boot.

What brand wader? Simms will replace the feet in theirs..............

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

i own the orvis pro guide waders. It is in the top of the foot, right where the top of your big toe would contact the boot. I will contact Orvis and see if they can help me out.

Aqua seal, just pour it on. Works great.

It surprises me that so few people know enough to wear socks over their stocking foot waders.
    It not eliminates this sort of problem but also softens the pain of any pebbles that might sneak in.
    Any old socks will do as long as you don't mind them getting all stretched out and filthy.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by SdDryFly View Post
    I am starting to wear little holes in the toes of my waders. It is being caused from my big toe rubbing inside my boots. I have some cheap coleman seam sealer, but don't think it is really doing the trick. Would something like aquaseal work better? Don't want to fork over a few hundred bucks for new waders.
    Yes, aquaseal is better than seam seal, but if the neoprene is getting compressed to the point where it leaks, aquaseal may not be effective enough either. I had that problem with another brand a few years ago, and while aquaseal improved the situation, even after several repeat applications I was still getting a wet sock inside the bootie before the end of the day. I believe Orvis's repair shop will replace the whole bootie for a reasonable charge, though. It's worth asking.

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Somebody else on here posted a link to a company that makes dry suits and waders. Not the one above. Very reasonable prices on neoprene waders at that. Whoever that was, may post a link here again. I hope they do. Not only because I think that would be a good source for a bootie replacement, but for the waders.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Wink A far cheaper alternative.

Sigh ..... as usual I'm the 'contraiarn' here. I find AS to be a very expensive product of 'questionable value' (what you pay for what you actually get).

Just get a tube of 'Shoe Goop,' cheap as chips, water proof, stays flexible, yada-yada-yada. As noted above, if the repair is on the inside of the bootie a cloth cover is a very good idea.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

11. Likes Guest1 liked this post