Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Deciding on a 4wt reel

Quote Originally Posted by okuma View Post
    Battenkill Reel -- Orvis UK. Found this on another post. Might be of interest if you want a click/pawl.
    I checked this link out. I like the looks of this reel and the price is reasonable. I noticed that the details state "imported". Live chat with Orvis has not responded to my question. I have one of the older Battenkill reels, manufactured in England and love it. A little heavy for my 4 & 5wt short rods, but still a good reel for the money. I intend to keep an eye out for this reel as it becomes available here or online from Orvis. I could make a place for it next to my Lamson reels. I was saving that spot for an Abel but I think I can make room for both.

2. Default Re: Deciding on a 4wt reel

Don't know if your only considering new reels. You might enjoy pursuing a used reel as I do! You don't need to go the e-bay root.There are may sites that sell quality used reels and rods. A good bargain is an old Pfluger 1492 and with an extra spool you can find one in excellent condition for around $50. I've owned and fished a 1494 for about 40 years and on 3 different rods. Never had an issue with it. For $100 you can find Lamson and Orvis reels. The reel I use on a 4 wt. is an Orvis CFO. Also have fished it for about 40 years. Good stuff lasts, some is inexpensive some is not. Hope you find something you enjoy for years.

Last edited by jcw355; 03-08-2015 at 01:42 PM.
    Okiemountaineer

Thanks for all the input.

Will add my 2cents. The Allen is very nice reel. I would also put the Hardy CC Ultralites. Very light and the 4wt is under $200.00.
    Craig

Cortland Retro.
    ...some men go to church and think of fishing while other men go fishing and feel closer to God

I have two (8 1/2' & 9') St Croix Imperial (new version) 4wt rods. The reel I use is an Orvis BBSII with a wf4f line. And it is a great set up. However, I just purchased an Allen Trout 2 for my 5wt and am really impressed with the quality. Given Allen's current credit promotion, I would not hesitate to purchase the AST.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12