Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deciding on a 4wt reel

Default Deciding on a 4wt reel

Already have a 6 wt outfit and convinced myself I also "need" a 4 wt outfit to enhance my enjoyment when fishing for panfish, smaller (typically < 3 lb) largemouth bass and trout. Just purchased a St. Croix Imperial 4 wt fly rod and would appreciate your guidance on reel selection.

My impressions are:
    a) Since the St. Croix Imperial is a light weight rod, it's important that the reel also be light weight for optimum balance.
    b) In setting up a lightweight fly fishing outfit, money is better spent on the rod and line. Reel is basically a line holder at this line weight (#4).

That said:
    1) Is it fair to say that the most important feature is low weight? If so, is it reasonable to think the reel should weight four ounces or less?
    2) Should I also consider reels with click and pawl drag (assuming it results in a lighter reel) or am I better off with a disc drag to better handle larger than expected fish?
    3) Is it reasonable to assume I can spend less than $100 to for a suitable reel?

Any reel suggestions?

Thanks,

Blog Entries

Default Re: Deciding on a 4wt reel

Just my $.02 but be careful with click/pawl. While you can land quite sizable fish on a click/pawl just be careful that it isn't sloppy. If you get a sloppy click pawl you will get backlash when you strip line.

I believe you can get some reels for $100 or so like a Lamson Konic and they are a fine reel with a good drag.
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

Blog Entries

allens new ats reel series would be a good choice

ATS Reel Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store

plus with their current allen store credit offer, you could get it for 75.00.

Allen Bucks Store Credit - Allen Fly Fishing Store

casey

ARFE

4. Likes comeonavs, shortyb liked this post
    Blog Entries

Duh, how could I forget those...

Allen's are a great reel at a good price and good guys running the show over there. I got the Trout II at the Denver show and my buddy bought the ATS, it felt real nice.
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

Thanks for bringing the Allen store credit to my attention. Definitely increases the appeal of the ATS.

Noticed that both ATS model 1 and 2 can be used for 4 wt. Model 1 is slightly lighter, but will hold less backing. Is there anything I'm missing?

okuma Guest

Battenkill Reel -- Orvis UK. Found this on another post. Might be of interest if you want a click/pawl.

Quote Originally Posted by okuma View Post
    Battenkill Reel -- Orvis UK. Found this on another post. Might be of interest if you want a click/pawl.
    I was at the Bears Den mini-show yesterday and they had some of these in the Orvis booth. They will be rolling them out in the US later this spring or summer. Very nice click and pawl for not a lot of money. The spring tension has a couple of different adjustment settings, depending on your preference for a gentle or stronger check.

Last edited by jcw355; 03-08-2015 at 01:41 PM.
    Okiemountaineer

JCW355, since you have several 4wt Allen reels, would you recommend model 1 or 2 ATS? Model 1 recommended for 3-5 WFF and model 2 recommended for 4-6 WFF.

Thanks

Blog Entries

get the ats I. you don't really need much backing on a 4 weight and the smaller size will suit that rod better.
    on a side note, you may want to consider the ats fly line as well. i'ts great line at a good price

casey

ARFE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast