Wading staffs ?

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
IS there a good quality wading staff out there one can buy without selling the farm to get it ? At 57 years old, I feel it's necessary now to have one , before I break something wading without one.

Michael

bruce m

Reaction score
I use a hickory stick with a hole drilled through the top to attach a lanyard. I don't like the folding type and use the wading staff as a walking stick while hiking, another passion of mine.
Edited to ad, I wouldn't walk in the water around me without one anymore, when younger I could do it but in recent years its been just to tough to move through any depth over my knees without one. It's just a piece of safety equipment I won't do with out anymore and when you do use it I'm sure you'll feel the same.

osok

Reaction score
When I need to buy another I will get flolding one from Bass Pro or Cabela's. I purchased an Orvis for over $100 that's not any better than sold at these stores. I wasn't wise enough to purchase in advance and got caught on the San Juan wading around like a drunken sailor. Had to go straight to fly shop and buy what was available.

Don't understand why I can't stand up and walk like I did as 30 yo. Must be different kind of moss on the rocks than 30 years ago.lol

randyflycaster

Reaction score
A good wading stick is a lot cheaper than taking a tumble and hurting yourself.

I like the Fishpond wading staff. It's very light.

Good advice about getting a ski pole. A lot of ski shops have single poles they're trying to get rid of.

The important thing: The wading staff should be as high as your arm pit.

Randy

lightline

Reaction score
I use a wooden broom handle with a hole in the top for a lanyard. Also, inexpensive walking sticks, like mentioned, work well. I prefer the wood as opposed to the metal like the folding staffs or ski poles. I don't think the sound of them on the river bottom is as "noisy" to the fish as the metal poles. Plus, they float.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Good advice about getting a ski pole. A lot of ski shops have single poles they're trying to get rid of.
The important thing: The wading staff should be as high as your arm pit.
I have a Folstaf and it's only waist high. That's fine most of the time because it normally stays in the holster and is only deployed when I need a little assistance.

When I need a staff "full time", I take a ski pole.
It's going to be pike spawning season around here soon and that means wading in deep, murky, swampy areas.
I probe ahead with the ski pole every step ...scary stuff :faint:

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I use a wooden broom handle with a hole in the top for a lanyard. Also, inexpensive walking sticks, like mentioned, work well. I prefer the wood as opposed to the metal like the folding staffs or ski poles. I don't think the sound of them on the river bottom is as "noisy" to the fish as the metal poles. Plus, they float.
LL makes a good point about the metal pole 'noise factor.' In small streams this can/could be a real issue. But I'd like to address the 'the float' issue. If the whole thing floats this is NOT a good thing. You want that tip to stay on the bottom via wrapping the end with sheet lead or (if the upper handle is big enough) drill an appropriate sized hole and dump in a half pound of lead shot. Good squirt of Gorilla Glue on top of that to hold them in place.

End game is you want that tip planted on the bottom 100% of the time. That way, when you have to do a quick grab for the handle you're not also forced to drive the thing down through moving water to gain your balance. When you're stumbling, time is not on your side.

Nothing new to the above, the wading stick I use was made in the UK by the "Stickman." It was that 'pound of lead' at the end that immediately got me to pull out my cheque book. Well credit card.

One last personal observation if I may, you want a wading staff that far LONGER than you'd suspect. Standing on a flat surface handle should come up to at least chest high. (Context: I'm 5'11.5" and my 'stick is 58" long.) Reason for this is as you plant the thing in front of you its off at an angle making it effectively 'shorter.'

Just my .02.

fae

comeonavs

Reaction score
I was going to get the Simms wading staff but it is expensive and quite honestly I am afraid if I strap one more thing that says Simms on me people will start cracking jokes. I look like the poster boy for Simms.

Might have to check out bass pro

Does Abel make a staff to match my nippers ? ( sorry guys had to do it, couldn't resist )

mikel

Reaction score
I was given a collapsible staff (Cabelas) and use it always....I like having a walking stick on the way to the water, even...

After having my staff for a few months, I was able to help my best friend fashion one from a ski pole and it works just fine.

Make sure you have two (2) points of contact with the bottom always. 1 foot and the staff or two feet while repositioning the staff for your next steps. If you pick up the staff and a foot at the same time, you're at risk.

double d

Reaction score
I've done a lot of long distance hiking and I have used my Leki hiking poles while fly fishing. They allow you to adjust them, but they don't fold like fly fishing staffs I see. But, I wouldn't want to wade in deeper water then my knees without some sort of staff.

gfirob

Reaction score
If you compare the thickness of the aluminum in a cheap staff to a Fallstaff you will note a dramatic difference. I bought a used Fallstaff on ebay for that reason. You only need a wading staff when you need one, but then you really, really need it. With my old knees, I don't want to take chances.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I have a well worn folstaff 3/4" wading staff. I can't fish without it. I don't disjoint it or use the holster anymore. I put a magnet on it below the handle and the back of my wading belt so I can store it behind me out of the way when I get set up. The magnets hold even through my gortex jacket. It's just high enough to walk around with it behind me when I play a fish or move a few steps. When I need it I grab the tether to break the magnets loose and bring it around to the front.

I wore through the cork top in a couple years exposing the sharp alum tubing so I machined a delrin replacement top and used a roll pin to secure it. Been like this for about 15 years.

The cork top is weak but the rest of the staff is solid. I wish it were six inches longer.

Noiso

Reaction score
My first thought/question here was; Is "staffs" a word? I thought perhaps the plural of "staff" is staves. After looking it up, both staffs and staves are correct, even though my spell check is flagging the word staves!.
Staffs - definition of Staffs by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

At 46 I have not felt the need to carry a staff but have picked up sturdy sticks and used them now and again. A friend and guru has recommended an inexpensive "big box" telescoping hiking staff and said to make sure and buy the ones with the lever style locks as opposed to the ones with threads. The time is coming soon when I will need to carry one of these things. I keep my eye out at thrift stores. Fingers crossed!

LeoCreek

Reaction score
No-Float Stix

You may want to check out the No-Float Stix wading staff. I was a little sceptical, but after using a friend's, I was very impressed.

Product No-Float Stix; Wading Staff

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. - I was just getting ready to try to order one of these, and it looks like they are probably no longer available. The inventor, Tom Toomey, passed away in 2010.

Last edited:

shimloom

Reaction score
Great thread! I was just thinking about getting one. Was at the fly shop on sunday buying a Zenith rod and Hardy reel line etc... and looked at the Simms wading staff. (Cough) $149.95.

Going to be 56 in April and after last year I was starting to think it may be time for an "aid"! Great advice on the cheaper options of making one or even a ski pole, didn't think about that one. Great ideas guys! Glad I belong to this site!

Craig

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Re: No-Float Stix

You may want to check out the No-Float Stix wading staff. I was a little sceptical, but after using a friend's, I was very impressed.

Product No-Float Stix; Wading Staff

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. - I was just getting ready to try to order one of these, and it looks like they are probably no longer available. The inventor, Tom Toomey, passed away in 2010.
Looks like a great product, save for they're too short. Going back to my 'center of chest' comment somewhere above. Ski poles, etc., are to help you keep your balance. A 'touch and go' if you will.

When you really hit the fan (like deep do-do) you need "long" to get that thing out in front of you to give you three points of balance as you edge your way out of the river.

I may sound 'excessive-compulsive' on this subject but as you really start to have hearing problems you'll follow me. Eye sight/inner ear are two main points of orientation. When one 'goes,' or is going, your brain starts to get very conflicting information. None of it in your favor.

End game of all this is your footing is already a lost cause, that long staff in you hands is .. is what? Your life saver? Or at least keeping you from taking a dunking.

Example: You're wading in three foot of water (not much more than knee high?) with 'x current speed.' You step into a hole only 12 inches deep and you just jumped the water pressure by 25 percent.

You do the maths. (Hint: It's not lineal, it's exponential.;)

fae

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score

I have been using a Folstaff since 1994. I've read many wading staff threads and find pretty much the same responses in general regarding different types of wading aids.

I have a real nice Hickory walking stick that I cut when it was a young tree on our land in Roaring Branch Pennsylvania back in 1982. I know the year because I used a wood burner to mark it with the date. I love that stick; big and strong, you can count on it. However, I would not want to have it dangling from me in a river. I've found that I don't need a staff for every step I take but there are certain conditions when the third leg balance provided by just a shock corded aluminum folding staff is all you need to keep you safe. There are many sold just like the Folstaff for around 29.99 - 39.99 dollars and they are very handy. Folded and out of the way until you actually need them I consider them a wonderful thing. If you require a staff for every step taken then something else may make sense but if like me you just want a staff for safety in unsafe wading conditions the folder may be right for you.

Ard

rusty 54

Reaction score

I've been using one of the cheaper brands pretty religiously. Don't use it for every step, but it is comforting to have along. So far, my worst falls have been on the banks, stepping down into the river. I use it often in those situations.