Wet Streamers

kingofamberley

Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering... What do you guys do with your wet (read used) streamers, like buggers/clousers/deceivers etc, after you remove them from your tippet/leader? Do you put them back in the box with the dry streamers, or use a drying patch, or do you have a separate receptacle for them and plan to dry them later, or something else?
Thanks in advance!
-Kingo

bigjim5589

Reaction score
IMO, it's never a good idea to place a wet fly in a fly box with other flies. That's a good way to get rusty hooks. I usually stick them in my hat, ( debarbed hooks of course) or if fishing from a watercraft I have a foam block I stick them in to dry. A drying patch is a good idea too.

You can quick dry them with silica powder, which is or at least used to be sold for drying dry flies. It's simply a finer form of silica gel desiccants, which is used to keep moisture away from a lot of things. If the fly is too large to fit in the container that the powder comes in, then a larger container would be needed.

I save those small bags of silica gel when I get them & keep several in fly boxes & boxes of hooks to help prevent rusting. :)

shotgunfly

Reaction score
Directly after use I hook em on a foam patch usually on my wading jacket or on the outside of a chest pack. I don't even put them back in the foam on a work bench.

Patch then comes off velcro and sits in garage to air dry. Pluck and fluff and then back into box.

Besides, I like to see what flies I tried throughout the day.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Always the odd one of the lot, I put them back wherever I got them. I use a wool fleece wallet for feather wings and aluminum clip boxes for salmon flies. I've never had a rust problem with large hooks but a damp or wet dry fly box filled with fine wire hooks will cause heartbreak.

Ard

Rip Tide

Reaction score
For my saltwater streamers I have a separate, perforated plastic, Plano type box for the wet ones. Those need to get the salt rinsed out so they need to be separated anyway.

My trout streamers go on my vest patch, and if they're still wet at the end of the day, they they get transferred to the patch Velcro-ed to the dashboard of the truck

sandfly

Reaction score
I lose to many to ever worry about drying. The one i don't lose is given to a friend or hung in van somewhere. You should see the paneling in there at the end of the fishing season....

nick k

Reaction score
I had the same problem until I got a bunch of extra ear piercings. Now I just wear all my flies until they dry out. I wish I could stop forgetting to de-barb them though.....

JoJer

Reaction score
I debarb all my flies at the bench and they kept falling off my drying patch. I found a 3/4" X 1 1/2"X 2" plastic box. I cut holes in the bottom to pass a big safety pin thru then glued a piece of magnet to the bottom. Then I drilled holes thru the box top and sides. It's pinned to the front of my vest.
Now, when I change flys, I put the wet fly in the box, close the lid, then clip the tippet.
And, yes, mea culpa, I generally forget to empty the box til the next trip.

kingofamberley

Reaction score
I found a small Orvis fly wallet that someone gave me a long time ago, with wool in it for sticking flies. It made a perfect "wet streamer receptacle" yesterday.

raindogt

Reaction score
I agree with Eddie O'neill-- they go onto my patch and usually get tied to my tippet on the next outing.

Also, in case there was any doubting D Dan's fishiness; the man actually has a factory fly patch installed to the dash as optional equipment on his vehicles. :bow-down:

ditz

Reaction score
I am a warmwater fisherman so I don't usually fish dries. I carry a tackle bag instead of wearing a vest. Too hot for a vest most of the summer. When I change flies I just drop the wet fly into the tackle bag so it can dry and it allows me to reach down into the bag for a fly box and get some fly hooks stuck in my fingers. It just reminds me that I am fishing.:yikes:

nick k

Reaction score
I am a warmwater fisherman so I don't usually fish dries. I carry a tackle bag instead of wearing a vest. Too hot for a vest most of the summer. When I change flies I just drop the wet fly into the tackle bag so it can dry and it allows me to reach down into the bag for a fly box and get some fly hooks stuck in my fingers. It just reminds me that I am fishing.:yikes:
Well you know the old saying: "If you ain't reaching down into your tackle bag to find a fly box and getting hooks stuck in your fingers in the process, then you ain't fishing."