Branson MO Fly Fishing June

jborn

Reaction score
We are having a family reunion in Branson MO the second week of June 2013. The grandsons and son-in-laws are interested in fly fishing and I would appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks

jlb

T

turbineblade

Wherever you go, keep an eye out for Jesus!

(Lived in Springfield, MO for 6 years; very, very familiar with Branson)

I think Taneycomo is pretty close, and some monster browns have been taken out of there.

stuie675

Reaction score
North Fork is probably two or three hours away.

Also sorry you have to go to Branson. I always drive around that town when I go down south hahahaha

stlskyline

Reaction score
I would checkout Lilleys Resort. Its on Lake Taneycomo with marina, units with kitchenettes and boat rentals available. It has a pool and it's close to the upper trophy area for wading opportunities when they are not running water from the dam. Traffic gets thick on the strip. Last year traffic was thick and crawling and people were soliciting for Jesus...Handing out cans of Pepsi along the road to crawling cars...saying "Pepsi's for Jesus; Jesus love you" Pack plenty of zebra Midges, egg patterns, squirrel tails, scuds and woolies. A good site is Ozarkanglers.com and scroll for upper Lake Taneycomo.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
I would checkout Lilleys Resort. Its on Lake Taneycomo with marina, units with kitchenettes and boat rentals available. It has a pool and it's close to the upper trophy area for wading opportunities when they are not running water from the dam. Traffic gets thick on the strip. Last year traffic was thick and crawling and people were soliciting for Jesus...Handing out cans of Pepsi along the road to crawling cars...saying "Pepsi's for Jesus; Jesus love you" Pack plenty of zebra Midges, egg patterns, squirrel tails, scuds and woolies. A good site is Ozarkanglers.com and scroll for upper Lake Taneycomo.
x2. Lilley's reputation is excellent. Fly advice is spot on for the place. I'd also add sowbugs and sculpin.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
These guys pretty much have it covered.

BUT...if you can afford the time to, go to Roaring River state park, its about an hour west of branson, its VERY worth the drive, if not for the history alone. It was built in 1934 as part of the CCR program and was one of the first trout hatcheries in the US. The park is awesome, the spring is beatiful and and fishing isnt half bad either.

colin272

Reaction score
I have had a lot of luck fishing Taneycomo up in the trophy zone. If u are willing to travel a little distance Bennett spring state park is about two hours east on 44 in Lebanon MO. It is stocked trout also if you go to Bennett stop at Weavers tackle shop and buy the tri color glo balls. No one down in branson makes them so they usually do good on Taneycomo.

tomerrys

Reaction score
As a local that fly fishes ...
Best place to get best advice on fly fishing and a family friendly location in Branson is Lilley's Landing. Phil Lilley runs OzarksAngler.com and is quite the fisherman.
Roaring River is excellent...about an hour southwest of Branson...it is a state park so check the regs on what you can and can't use plus at times it can be crowded.
North Fork is a national trout fishing river east of Branson about 2-2 1/2 hours...amazing fishing but make sure you read the rules on what type of lure is allowed. Very clear river and we float it at least once a year and try our hand at fly fishing from the canoe but for best fishing get a location that you can wade out into.
One other spot that is about 2 hours east of Branson is Rockbridge - Rainbow Trout and Trap Fishing Lodge - great place to fish and fly fishing is fun here, plus they've got a wonderful restaurant. It's worth an overnight stay but you need to call ahead for reservations as they sell out a lot.
Just an FYI - caught my biggest trout - a brown - ever on Taneycomo just below the dam - an 8lb - and it was wonderful.
Hope ya'll have a wonderful vacation!:icon_lol:
Cindy