Whose pets love their feathers and fur?

noreaster

Reaction score
We have two standard poodles (hypo, I'm allergic to shedders) Mr. Marley and Tommy, who love feathers and fur. They are constantly reminding me to pick up after myself. They have even attacked little caches of flies; really hoping they never swallowed one.

Anyone else have pets who target their supplies? I have lost some nice grizzly cape, and junglecock, and deer hair, to name a few.

Here are the culprits after a romp in the snow.:)
And yes I use both of their hairs as dubbin':D
Cheers phil

sandfly

Reaction score
got a lab pup who lets me drop stuff on him while he lays under my bench. he picks up feather scraps to eat now and then. won't touch anything else..

wt bash

Reaction score
Lets see with 5 in the house so far I've lost a JC cape, a Claret dyed streamer cape, midge capes, deer hair patch, tons of sheep's fleece, arctic fox, squirrel tails, and I know I'm missing something. Oh yeah a few spools of thread.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
My dog is always interested in fur & hairs, likes to sniff at packages when they arrive too, but hasn't damaged anything. She's a good dog!

I have a sister in law who lives with us. She has a cat. He's still a kitten, but likes to roam around my basement, which is where my tying room is located.

He likes to carry things up stairs. Yesterday, my sister in law brought me a spool of thread that he had snitched. Again, so far nothing damaged, but I'm keeping a close eye on the little bugger! :shades:

comeonavs

Reaction score
This handsome devil had fun with one of my soft hackle partridge clump/cape. Luckily it was only $10.00 and he was fine
This pic was taken while I was tying, he was saying hi dad , what ya doing ?

shotgunfly

Reaction score
No doubt. This handsome devil (and I stress devil) loves the smell of dried bucktails and will (somehow) sneak his paw into the bin and drag one out.

Fortunately he knows the "drop it" command and "git".

Which brings me to a thought. I was thinking of picking up a rabbit fur from the sale bin (probably neon green) and bring it home for him. Has anyone ever done this for their dog? Is this a bad idea?

bigjim5589

Reaction score
My dog has a bunch of chew toys. We're careful about what we get for her. Most are made from natural materials such as raw hide, a few are a very tough plastic material. I worry about what she might ingest.

IMO, if you give the dog a real hide, and promote the chewing, they may not know the difference with any other similar material, so that could create problems with your other tying materials should the dog get the opportunity.

I also wouldn't give a tanned hide to my dog because of the chemicals used in tanning. May not ever be a problem, but I wouldn't want to take the chance.

Last edited:

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Kitty likes to steal tools off my desk as well as syenthic materials, mainly rubber legs. As far as feathers and fur, I have 2 german shorthair pointers.....how do YOU think thats working out for me????! haha

stuie675

Reaction score
I have a seriously spoild Golden Retriever. She leaves my stuff alone. Shes spoiled but she's good. :thmbup:
Dan you and I could be best friends hahaha I lost my Golden a few years ago to a bad liver. Best dogs in the world. Ugh I miss that dog now :(

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Dan you and I could be best friends hahaha I lost my Golden a few years ago to a bad liver. Best dogs in the world. Ugh I miss that dog now :(
I know what you mean. I lost one 4 years ago that was the smartest dog I have ever seen by a lot. I have relatives I am going to miss less than that dog. Mine had cancer. It was his third bout with it. He had surgery that got rid of the first two, but the third one was a tumor that we didn't catch till it was to late. Died on the operating table trying to save him. Still not over it.

He was almost my last dog because he was so smart. I was afraid I would think they were all idiots after him. I'm glad I got this on though.

mudbug

Reaction score
Lost my buddy Jug just a couple months ago to seizures that the vet couldn't figure out.. He was a big fan of this stuff. I lost a grizzly bugger back and a red buck tail to his curiosity.

stuie675

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I lost one 4 years ago that was the smartest dog I have ever seen by a lot. I have relatives I am going to miss less than that dog. Mine had cancer. It was his third bout with it. He had surgery that got rid of the first two, but the third one was a tumor that we didn't catch till it was to late. Died on the operating table trying to save him. Still not over it.

He was almost my last dog because he was so smart. I was afraid I would think they were all idiots after him. I'm glad I got this on though.
Yeah I have looked at dogs, but just cant find one like her. I actually got her from a lady that stole it from her brother because he was beating her. When I first got her she was covered in mud and skinny. After I cleaned her and brushed her it became our thing. She loved being brushed and you could tell it made her feel special and happy. She is definitely not replaceable.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Yah, they are not replaceable. This one is completely different than my last dog Speedy was. He was not aware that he was a dog and felt it was horribly unfair to treat him like he was one. He's the only big dog I ever saw that hated getting dirty. He didn't roll on stinky stuff, absolutely hated mud. Any muddy tracks on my floor were mine. He was fun just to watch because you see his brain working all the time. He invented games, understood everything you said to him. He was the Einstein of dogs.

This one is an actual dog. She will roll in any stinky thing she finds unless she eats it. :eek: She understands a lot of what I say, but most of it probably works like the adults in the Charlie Brown cartoons, "Whaa whaaa wa wa wah." :confused: Don't get me wrong. She's not stupid, she just isn't a genius like Speedy was and I didn't expect her to be. She's a great dog. I spoil the snot out of her. 64 pounds of lap dog. :D

mudbug

Reaction score
64 pounds of lap dog. :D

Mine was closer to 70 pounds and this was his favorite place to sleep.

This picture is from when he was younger and only about 35 or 40 pounds, but he still loved jumping up and sleeping here till the day he passed.

Last edited: