cork, & why it's so expensive

rubberguy

Reaction score
this might be 1 reason...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/user/aNarkonur#p/a/u/0/bqF3SGFigdY]in Sardegna - YouTube[/ame]

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
But also blame wine drinkers hahahaha
There's more than a bit of truth to that Stu. Even Lebanon bottles 7 MILLION bottles of wine per year. Read that just a couple of days ago and did a 'Say What?' Most of it out of the Bakka Valley of all places.

Cost of wine bottle cork, a good one? About the same as the glass bottle. Tis' why so many are going to 'plastic cork' and screw tops. Actually, the screw top is the best of the bunch for sealing a wine bottle.

noreaster

Reaction score
I watched the video. Its a shame they have to take the bark from all the way around the tree. My understanding is that girdling the tree this way will kill it.

Probably isn't that much enforcement around their. I wonder if they are growing and harvesting it sustainably?

williamhj

Reaction score
No I believe it regenerates just fine, but they watch when and how they harvest it to protect the tree. I think they have to wait till a tree is 20 or so years old before the first harvest and then the second comes 10 or so years after. This continues for the life of the tree, which can be over 150 years I believe.

stuie675

Reaction score
I watched the video. Its a shame they have to take the bark from all the way around the tree. My understanding is that girdling the tree this way will kill it.

Probably isn't that much enforcement around their. I wonder if they are growing and harvesting it sustainably?
Watch the second video it says they get bark from one tree for a very long time, it grows back pretty quickly and the trees out last most humans.

troutnut4

Reaction score
No I believe it regenerates just fine, but they watch when and how they harvest it to protect the tree. I think they have to wait till a tree is 20 or so years old before the first harvest and then the second comes 10 or so years after. This continues for the life of the tree, which can be over 150 years I believe.
William you are correct, the trees regenerate every 9 years and it is the third generation and beyond that produces higher grade cord. It's a shame that they waste that cork on wine bottles and not as much on grips for fly rods.:rolleyes: Some people like the natural look, I like the quality of the cork on the latest Hardy Zenith. I've picked up a couple of rods lately that can't match the quality of my Zenith.

L

Liphookedau

As mentioned Cork is a Widely used Product especially in The Wine Industry,some of The Best Quality Cork I've seen has been on Women's Shoes,Floor Tiles,Gasket Materiais etc.

Some of The Worst Quality has been on Some Rods,some Cork Rings I've bought.
Really when you look at price of Things Today there are still some Places where you can buy Good Quality Cork at reasonable Prices,then again lots of things we buy to do with Fishing is always expensive & mostly we always get Ripped off as us Fishermen are a Soft Touch.
Another example is Flytying Materials,A Spool of Holographic Tinsel cost me $2.45 for about 15 yrds,at Christmas Time a couple of years ago I Bought The Same Stuff made into Decorations & for $2 I have enough to do me a Lifetime...
Brian

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
The last really good cork I bought cost me $3.50/1/2" Ring. The next time I bought from the same place, they tried to get me the best they had and charged me the same amount, but the cork was not nearly as good. That really good batch I mentioned went on my Meiser and used about 13" of it. Figure that one out. :yikes:

popperfly

Reaction score
I just received a quote for cork ring without holes the other day.

The price per piece is $1.95.
100 pieces : $195.00
200 pieces : $390.00

The kicker was this statement "Please let me know if you have any additional questions". Ya!! I have additional question...WHY SO MUCH!

biggie_robs

Reaction score
I just received a quote for cork ring without holes the other day.

The price per piece is $1.95.
100 pieces : $195.00
200 pieces : $390.00

The kicker was this statement "Please let me know if you have any additional questions". Ya!! I have additional question...WHY SO MUCH!
Without knowing for sure, I bet the answer is

BECAUSE OTHER PEOPLE WILL PAY THAT MUCH!

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
William you are correct, the trees regenerate every 9 years and it is the third generation and beyond that produces higher grade cord. It's a shame that they waste that cork on wine bottles and not as much on grips for fly rods.:rolleyes:
Not quite so bad as that, but damned close. Wine corks are stamped out of flat sheets (zero to do with how the video shows same) and the 'left overs' are ground up and turned into a lot of 'other things.' Like the bottoms of Burkinstock sandals. ;)

raindogt

Reaction score
So since I am far from a corker expert, is cork recyclable?
Absolutely! In fact much of the cork on our grips is/ are probably recycled. If I am not mistaken: most of the cork in stuff that you and I use (other than wine corks) is recycled-- floor tiles, gaskets, insulation, soil conditioners, sports equipment, etc.

This leads me to think that the sentiment that it is so expensive simply because people will pay the prices, is an accurate assessment.