Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: Wolly Buggers?

  1. Default Re: Wolly Buggers?

    Quote Originally Posted by drc View Post
    Buggers are perhaps the most versatile fly ever made.
    I agree 100%. Buggers will take virtually any species of game fish, fresh water or salt. By altering the type of hackle, shape, size, weight and color, they can represent more forage species than any fly ever designed. Worms, baitfish, crustaceans, insects, you name it. The woolly bugger is the one style of fly I absolutely can't do without. And to top it all off, they're an inexpensive and easy tie.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Wolly Buggers?

    Lets not forget the bow river variation on the bugger. I tied up some of these this past winter and caught my first trout of the year on an olive body/red marabou bow river bugger...IN JANUARY! water was freezing but so worth it!)

  3. Default Re: Wolly Buggers?

    Quote Originally Posted by jor fly View Post
    Lets not forget the bow river variation on the bugger. I tied up some of these this past winter and caught my first trout of the year on an olive body/red marabou bow river bugger...IN JANUARY! water was freezing but so worth it!)

    Well.....what's the "bow river variation"?


    I mean, normally I practice a Vulcan Mind Meld, but since the Aliens abducted me,
    my mental factulties are slightly...diminished. ER....let's see here..... olive body, red marabou?
    Well that's "Christmassy" ain't it?

    .
    Welcome to the world of Fly Crying

  4. Likes Ard liked this post
  5. #34

    Default Re: Wolly Buggers?

    They will catch anything that swims.

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Wolly Buggers?

    Quote Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
    Well.....what's the "bow river variation"?


    I mean, normally I practice a Vulcan Mind Meld, but since the Aliens abducted me,
    my mental factulties are slightly...diminished. ER....let's see here..... olive body, red marabou?
    Well that's "Christmassy" ain't it?

    .
    Imagine a bugger body with a deer hair head like a muddler. Moves alot of water when its stripped, and can almost be fished like a popper if you tie it without weight. I prefer to weight it and fish it shallow with fast strip/pause actions.

  7. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,848
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Wolly Buggers?

    Just a bugger story.

    A few years back, I tied up a bunch of tarpon flies for a friend who was headed to the Campeche region of Mexico. Just for fun, I tied up a tan Woolly Buggers on size 2/0 Trey Combes saltwater hook. When my friend got back from the trip, he told me that the bugger did better on the juvenile tarpon than any of his specialty tarpon flies. He was so bummed that it got so beat up, that it was no longer fishable.

    Dennis

  8. Likes Ard liked this post
  9. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Manning, S. C. (formerly MD)
    Posts
    3,005

    Default Re: Wolly Buggers?

    Gavin, if you want to know more about buggers, pick up a copy of the book "Woolly Wisdom" by Gary Soucie. It's a pattern book chock full of flies, all based on the Woolly Worm/Bugger. Excellent resource for patterns regardless of fish species you might be chasing.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

  10. Likes brucerducer liked this post
  11. #38

    Default Re: Wolly Buggers?

    Quote Originally Posted by chechem View Post
    Woah, white? Or do you mean black and white, olive and white, etc?
    Never tried a solid-white bugger, but I've seen them. Anybody tried them for trout?
    I have had quite a bit of success fishing a white bugger. swing em, strip em down stream, or dead drift em, it works. I have fished in places where the discharge pipes in hatcheries let out. yes i will admit this is 'cheating' if you will, but when the fish aren't taking anything this always works. ill dead drift a solid white bugger, even with bit of red flash, to imitate fish flesh that has gotten caught up in the pipes. this is similar to the famed shad kill in the white river system where the shad get sucked up into the dam and get chopped up and the fish feed on their flesh. this is obviously unnatural and it is avoided by some people but it catches fish.

    this can also of course imitate a bait fish. solid white works ok, but i really like a bugger with white marabou and white hackle with black chenille.
    I caught this one on swung bugger. he moved 8 feet down the stream for the fly!



  12. Likes Ard liked this post
  13. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    northern Mississippi
    Posts
    1,083

    Default Re: Wolly Buggers?

    Quote Originally Posted by drc View Post
    I have had quite a bit of success fishing a white bugger. swing em, strip em down stream, or dead drift em, it works. I have fished in places where the discharge pipes in hatcheries let out. yes i will admit this is 'cheating' if you will, but when the fish aren't taking anything this always works. ill dead drift a solid white bugger, even with bit of red flash, to imitate fish flesh that has gotten caught up in the pipes. this is similar to the famed shad kill in the white river system where the shad get sucked up into the dam and get chopped up and the fish feed on their flesh. this is obviously unnatural and it is avoided by some people but it catches fish.

    this can also of course imitate a bait fish. solid white works ok, but i really like a bugger with white marabou and white hackle with black chenille.
    I caught this one on swung bugger. he moved 8 feet down the stream for the fly!
    Nice fish. Nice pic too.
    I could see that working. Certainly a Y2K works at outfalls like that.
    Thanks. I was wondering what a white wooly might imitate!

  14. #40

    Default Re: Wolly Buggers?

    a lite brite white zonker or white bugger is a really good fly around here. good imitation of a chub or shiner.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How do you hackle your buggers?
    By jor fly in forum Flies
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-30-2012, 01:55 PM
  2. Tying Buggers
    By stimulator2 in forum General Fly Tying Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 08:34 AM
  3. Melted glue Wolly
    By tob1 in forum Share Patterns
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 03:23 PM
  4. Box 4 Buggers
    By Tracker12 in forum Flies
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-06-2009, 02:57 PM
  5. Wooly buggers
    By chuck145 in forum Flies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2005, 11:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •