Fly Fishing Batchelor Party

jmhall87

Reaction score
Hi I'm from the Houston area in TX so I'm looking for a place not too far away we can fly to Denver pretty cheap from here. That being said I don't get up there very often so I don't know where to go after we get there. The information on the National Forest websites is somwhat limited we'd like to camp out, but there may be some hooping and hollering at night so it'd be nice to be kinda remote so as not to disturb others. There will be anywhere from 5 to 10 of us if that needs to be considered too. I've been to Beavers Bend many times, I'd really like to see some high peaks. I appreciate any help with us from people more familiar to the area.

christianfishn

Reaction score
If you could check out flights to Bozeman Montana! You could hit the Big Hole, the Madison and many others. You could even go into the National forest and camp and wont disturb a soul if your looking for seclusion. Just a thought, I dont know any about Denver, I've only been in the airport.

noreaster

Reaction score
Not sure but found this

Denver Fishing-Fly Fishing Denver Information-Denver fly fishing Guides

I really like the idea of gathering info from a local source. Perhaps you could e-mail the fly shop for some intel. Promise to drop by for some gear and flies
and get what you need from the horses mouth. I have had much better success getting good info once you are at your destination. Good luck.

jmhall87

Reaction score
Yeah it'll be about 400 pp to fly to Bozeman which will make most of my cheap friends back out

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
If you flew into Denver and rented a van you could go into Rocky Mtn National Park up by Estes, CO. There are lots of streams and mtn lakes to explore. What time of year are you talking about? The reason I ask is that Trail Ridge Rd that goes west out of Estes Park and up and over the park doesn't normally open until Memorial Day due to the snow removal. If you and your friends aren't into high mtn back packing, one option would to to drive over the top of the park and on the west side there are a number of campgrounds and the headwaters of the Colorado River is there for exploring without having to do some heavy climbing in the mtns.

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
This post cracks me up...

This Sunday, my buddy is flying into Southwest Michigan from Denver and we are throwing him a bachelor party at my place, fishing during the days Sunday and Monday and doing whatever Sunday night for the party...

That sounds like an even better deal, flying into Denver and going out in the Mountains to camp, but he is from here originally and most his Friends including myself, still live in Michigan so made more sense to have it here...

There are lots of places North of Denver to do what you want to do at...

Good luck!

jmhall87

Reaction score
Thanks mcnerney I've been there as a kid it sure is create up there. So if I just get there I should be able to find what I want? I just like a plan when I travel 1000 miles lol? It'll probably may

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
If you happen to visit RMNP here is some information you might want to read: Fishing - Rocky Mountain National Park

Just below Estes Park is the Big Thompson river, lots of public access along the hwy, but it can get busy especially on weekends. Another thought would be to hit the Poudre River just above Ft Collins. Hwy 14 runs along the river for the entire length and there were numerous campgrounds. I haven't been there since the big fire which took out some of those campgrounds, but I have heard that the fishing is still pretty good. Another idea would be to fish the Colorado River west of Granby on hwy 40 toward Hot Sulpher Springs to Parshall. There are a number of public access points and some allow camping. To get there you would take I-70 west out of Denver, then turn off on hwy 40 between Idaho Springs and Georgetown and follow that toward Hot Sulpher Springs and you will see the public access signs. The hot springs would be a good stop to soak in the warm pools after a long day of fishing.

illinibone

Reaction score
Will you be bringing your own camping gear? If not, look at renting a small cabin or condo, then you wouldnt have to worry as much about noise.

One of my favorite places to camp is the area around Bertroud Pass beneath Georgetown, CO. There are dozens of pull offs all along the road, free to park and camp. You are also far enough away from nearly everyone you can be as rowdy as you want. We regularly hear people shooting guns when we camp there.

Rocky Mountain National Park is another good idea. The park passes are $20 but are good for 7 days and its per vehicle so you would be set there. Check out Beaver Brook on the River condos, they are right on the Thompson River in Estes Park. Their 3 bedroom condos run about $250 a night but split 6 or 8 ways it would be very cost effective. Plus, being right on the Thompson you could walk off the back porch and start fishing. Estes Park also is a very cool place to hang out at night, there are a few cool hometown bars there.

illinibone

Reaction score
Ya pretty much. Not to mention countless number of small lakes and ponds.

Google Earth is a great tool to finding fishing spots in RMNP else stop by the visitors center right before the park entrance and ask around.

Another good option is to stop by the local fly shop, Kirk's, buy a few flies from them and pick their brains on their favorite fishing spots. Now that I say that it reminds me they currently have a deal for guided fly fishing tours on Denver Daily Deals. I actually just purchased 9 of them and thats what my present to my groomsmen, ushers, etc are the day before our wedding in Estes Park in June.

Heres the link...
Denver Daily Deals: $79 for 4-Hour Guided Fly Fishing Trip from Kirk's Fly Shop ($165 value) 52% off!

williamhj

Reaction score
We did this very thing for my brother when he got married. He and some of his friends were living in Denver, but I hadn't moved here yet. We rented a house in Fairplay that had room for most of us to stay but also had land where other friends could camp. We fished the Blue near Breckenridge and Silverthorne, the Dream Stream below Spinney, and then also the Arkansas north of Buena Vista. There are a number of fly shops in the Breckenridge, Frisco, Silverthorne, and Dillon area that have guide services and also that rent gear in case any of the guys don't want to bring them in.

That said, I'm sure there are tons of similar homes for rent near Estes as well as other spots in Colorado so you probably can't go wrong :)

dean_mt

Reaction score
If you could check out flights to Bozeman Montana! You could hit the Big Hole, the Madison and many others. You could even go into the National forest and camp and wont disturb a soul if your looking for seclusion. Just a thought, I dont know any about Denver, I've only been in the airport.
You are not going to be camping in seclusion anywhere on the Big Hole, Madison, Gallatin, etc. That doesn't exist on those big rivers. The Gallatin has the most national forest campground, but in the summer you won't be alone. And any camp parties will be heard by everyone for 1/2 mile in the woods.