Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  120
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Default Re: Searching for a stolen Winston IM6 9' 6wt

Haha, I wish I did make an actual bet! People are so predictable.

2. Likes Guest1 liked this post

Any new news? Hope you get your rod back!

Instagram page @tblom77

Well the good news is I should have my rod back within a week. The bad news is I'm out the case and temporarily (hopefully) a couple hundred to buy it back. Utah has a pawn shop clause so I was s.o.l for getting anything returned as evidence. My attorney buddy did some research and short of filing a civil suit in CA buying it back was my best option for ever seeing it again. If/when the thief gets picked up thats where any compensation will come from.

We'll see what happens there. I guess the moral of the story is don't leave your **** in the car. I've gotten a decent fly box pieced together again and just got a set of waders in the mail today. Got reacquainted with my 3wt Winston the other day and pulled in some chubby browns on tiny Adams.

I'll keep everybody posted as events unfold, thanks for all the advice and moral support.

Happy you were reunited!
    Hope they catch the theif & restitution is made!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

6. Default Re: Searching for a stolen Winston IM6 9' 6wt

Excellent. I'm glad things are headed in a good direction. That rod has even more MOJO now.

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Hey, did they lock up the thief?

Quote Originally Posted by xkgeorgex View Post
    Utah has a pawn shop clause so I was s.o.l
    Does it protect interstate sales on eBay? I'm guessing not.

9. Likes Guest1 liked this post

Rod showed up on Monday and I got out to the Middle Provo yesterday for a reunion fish throwing little bwo dries.

Felt good to fish it again and it still remembers what to do. I definitely wasn't stoked that my name had been wiped but I will give the guy who worked on it props for seriously cleaning it up and it looks nice. Glenn Brackett is a family friend and the one who gave my dad the rod to give to me. Guess I'll have to go up north for a visit and get my name repainted.
    No word from the SLC PD yet although they told me not to expect to hear anything for probably a month. Given the low cash value my only real option was to go out CA and do small claims court. The buyer must have been ready to be done with the whole thing as he listed the rod on ebay and sort of forced my hand. Thats where I ended up picking it up from. Interesting saga and happy to have my rod back which I consider a small miracle given how unlikely it is that stolen property ever makes its way back to the owner.

11. Likes ted4887 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I have followed this since I found the thread, I was away when this started.

Would you please print again both the Seller and the Buyer / re-seller's eBay user names here so we can all be very sure never to deal with these nefarious characters.

I am not surprised that a professional thief or fence would be selling stolen property on eBay. What seems uncanny is that the buyer has proven himself to be a person of the lowest stature by his behavior as well.

Were I or any other honest fly fisherman to discover ourselves in the position of the 'buyer' I would have made sure you got your rod without paying for it. Period!

Shame on the buyer, the seller is beyond shaming and will need to be arrested in order to get his just dues. Whatever you do, do not let this person get away with this. Stay in touch with whichever officer is on the case, take him coffee when you stop to see him or her. Do whatever it takes to persuade the police to support you and the other victims and to bring the seller to bay.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

+1 on what Ard said.

Also, I can't believe that the buyer knowingly listed a stolen rod on ebay to force your hand/get it over with. That in itself is a serious crime, and makes him almost as bad as the original seller who stole it in the first place. I've always had pleasant transactions on ebay and there are a lot of good, honest sellers there, but I would certainly NOT want to deal with these two.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast