Searching for a stolen Winston IM6 9' 6wt

xkgeorgex

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
sorry to be introducing myself in this manner. I recently had a Winston IM6 9' 6wt stolen from my vehicle in SLC. Unfortunately I didn't discover the ebay auction until after the item had ended. Ebay doesn't let you contact winning bidders so I'm just trying to put the word out. My name is on the rod and I have photos of the rod showing the serial # so I can prove its mine. It was given to me by my father 15 or 16 years ago and has great sentimental value. At any rate if anybody can help point me in the right direction I would be most appreciative.
Thank you, thank you, thank you
Kyle

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

here's the auction with the item

Winston IM6 9' 3pc 2 3 4 oz 6 Vintage Fly Rod Very RARE Good Condition | eBay

ted4887

Reaction score
Did you attempt contacting eBay to get the sellers information, or try having the police department do it?

Welcome to the forum.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
First you contact e-bay to get the sellers city. Explain they sold your stolen rod. They should at least give you that. Then contact the police in that city. If they don't, give the information to your police department. They can get the warrents needed to get the sellers and buyers info. Selling stolen property is a crime in itself. I am pretty sure you will get it back.

Do not contact the seller. All you will do is make him vanish.

xkgeorgex

Reaction score
Going through the pita of police reports and trying to deal with ebay. Understandably ebay buyers aren't super psyched on random emails from people claiming the item they just bought was taken from someone else. Kind of my own fault for keeping my stuff in the trunk of my car, but seriously who steals somebody's stinky, nasty waders and fishing stuff?

caseywise

Reaction score
Going through the pita of police reports and trying to deal with ebay. Understandably ebay buyers aren't super psyched on random emails from people claiming the item they just bought was taken from someone else. Kind of my own fault for keeping my stuff in the trunk of my car, but seriously who steals somebody's stinky, nasty waders and fishing stuff?

as crappy and unbelievable as it is, it happened to me in 1998.
custom diamondback 5 wt./ross cimmaron, and my hand built lammi 9' 7 wt./ross gunnison. both with 444 lines.
stolen out of my buddies trunk in a parking garage in anchorage, ak:mad:

casey

stuie675

Reaction score
I am going to make rod cases that look like giant piles of dog poo like the little joke ones you can get, I mean who is going to want to steal a giant pile of dog poo?

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:welcomean sorry your rod was stolen...already got good advice...if you can't get infos on the seller...why don't you buy a little item from him...you may get his address...then go to the police.Two can play at the game:icon_evil

lightline

Reaction score
Kyle, I hope you get it back. For the rest of us, could you please tell us what part of SLC this happened in, and whether it was broken into or unlocked? Also, you said stolen from your "trunk". To me, that means an invisible compartment in the back of a car (I'm old, from when big cars had trunks!) Anyway, was it visible, and did they break in?

I only ask so that we may learn. I commonly have a rod tube or two in the back seat of my 4-dr. pickup. I try to keep them hidden underneath my dog mats, but sometimes they're visible or in the front seat with reels and fly boxes.

Sometimes I'm complacent about concealing things in the truck from scumbags. Your story makes me think twice.

petee

Reaction score
I like JP's advice. :thumbsup:

It's getting pretty bad when you need to install a fire prroof gun safe in the trunk of a car to keep scum from stealing your gear. I think the scum target cars at fishing locations banking on the fishermen being from out of town.

Pete

I'll supply the rope if you have the tree.

plecain

Reaction score
I'd contact the ebay seller through ebay (Contact Seller) and explain what happened.

If he doesn't want to hear about it, I'd start leaving negative feedback for him on ebay - probably daily. That may get his attention.

I hate stories like this. I suppose this means I better stop leaving rods and reels in the open bed of my truck:mad:.

On a lighter note, there's a photography writer who recommends carrying lenses and camera bodies in diaper bags. People rarely steal those. You could even write 'Clean' on one bag, and 'Dirty' on the other.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Where is SLK? Sorry about your rod, these small cowards are lurking everywhere. Had a Hardy Cascapedia taken by one of those gutless wonders...Still hurts.

Dave

fichy

Reaction score
Here's a thought- Since the seller knew that it was a rare rod and made a point to show the serial numbers clearly, he may have got it from another party and thought it legitimate. I'd be hesitant to screw the seller until all the details are known. As bad as it's been, I'm glad you've tracked it this far. Looks good to get it back. I'd be interested to know what part of the country you're from- not that common to see trunks popped open.

Charlie