Strange things we do or don't do

attila

Reaction score
What "rituals" or odd things do you do or don't do while fishing ?
I "don't" steal a meal from a fish by pumping it's stomach to see what it's been feeding on. I'd rather pay attention to my surroundings and figure it out.
I "do" christen a rod by rubbing fish slime from my hands on the cork.
I "do" thank God and Jesus everytime I catch a fish(okay I forget sometimes).
I "don't" break branches off to make it easier to cast to a spot for myself or the next guy/gal.
Okay so what about you ?:eek:

biggie_robs

Reaction score
I talk to the fish while I'm playing him.

It's always a him until I've caught him.

Then it's a her, and I sweet talk her as I let her go.

Probably weird, but I've been doing it since I first saw Jimmy Houston kiss a fish when I was a lil'un.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
Was that 'I dont break branches' ,,,baiting us into an old discussion on the sly ?

I'm standing in a creek,,cold water up to my azz. waving my arms to cast a string on a very. very expensive stick with a fake bug attached to the end of said string,,,only to catch a fish,,,that I will release,,,and repeat this action...and you ask what do we do that is STRANGE ? come'on man,,,lol

Oh,,btw,,I've burnt a ton of natures little sticks up in campfires while sitting in the dark of night, when a perfectly good bed was empty at the house.

No,,I don't think I do anything 'strange' myself,,can't speak for others. ;)

wt bash

Reaction score
I don't talk to fish or to nature but I do spend a hell of a lot of time arguing with myself out loud. I guess that's why I don't complain too much about being crowded anymore! I have got in the habit of spitting on my flies (wets and streamers) before I fish them, either that or the Letort Stomp.

Walter1023

Reaction score
I never even take the "wrap" off the cork handle of a new fly rod until after I have landed my first trout on it. I figure a fisherman doesn't deserve to do that until he properly breaks it in.

sandfly

Reaction score
I have conversations with my black lab....and yes he answers me..............................
if i am fishing with a friend (not many left) and they are out fishing me, I cast across stream and tangle lines then i cut their flys off and continue fishing with out sayin a thing.......when they figure out why they are not getting fish, I blame the dog for doing it !!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
When I was little, my grandfather taught me to always spit on my fly. :rain:
It's only part superstition.
Spitting on the fly also helps to mask odors and helps the fly to sink.

raindogt

Reaction score
I don't forget my flask of Jack when I go out
Fixed that for you..... :D

If i am fishing a heavily wooded area, I make sure to send the first back-cast of the day into some branches-- It's going to happen at some point, this gets the snag out of the way up front and I can fish peacefully the rest.

socorrofly

Reaction score
I try to remember my fishing license and carry it while fishing.

At the end of the day, make sure the fly rod and reel have been put away instead of laying on top of the camper shell unsecured.

Keep the swearing to a minimum.

Always look pleasant and appear to have a clue.

:D

Hombre06

Reaction score
Stuff a couple of beers in my son's vest. He didn't know until I waved him over and pulled them out. Now it's sort of a tradition he lets me get away with.

Always start fishing with a Parachute Adams. This is my Searching Fly and allows me to warm up my casting.

Clear bowels before entering the water. Self explanatory.

Jackster

Reaction score
I don't compete in Euro-rule fly fishing contests. Got nothing to prove to nobody. 0 -100 fish a day... it doesn't matter, it's all good.

I don't call Tenkara fly fishing. It's a product of very smart marketing.

I can't let a kid wave a fly rod around without a clue. A few words and hints can help them out immensley and is reward in itself.

I pee BEFORE putting on my waders.

I give my wife a flight plan so she knows where to send the search party.

I don't betray a trust when given a secret fishing hole.

I take time to just sit and absorb my surroundings.

I thank my lucky stars for all that is available to us.

I check the weather before heading out.

I think there is too much stuff and too little time to mention it all on this thread. ;)

mikel

Reaction score
I always say hello and chat a sec with other fishermen I run into, partly so they know I'm not going to low hole them and to see how they are doing. If they aren't catching and seem the right type I give them a couple of bugs I think are working and wish them well.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I will walk up to a hole that a fisherman is fishing,,speak. Watch,,but I NEVER cast into a taken hole. That is a rule of integrity to me. He was there first,,and if it's a small hole,,not worthy of two fishermen,,,it's HIS. For that day anyways.

noreaster

Reaction score
When I get to a spot I usually will put my bag down have a sit on the bank and watch and be for a few minutes. Make observations of insect life in the air, around or in the water.
I will tie on a new tippet, ponder a fly selection slowly, and get a feel for the water. After I'm quiet and calm I creep slowly in position trying not to stir or make crunchy stumbly steps on the stream bed.

I deliberately try to make a break between how I feel from being in the concrete jungle to being quietly by the stream side. It helps my fishing too. When I'm calm, relaxed, and free from tension I cast better with less snags or hook ups and overall better presentation.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
It's a tradition that's been lost in recent years, but we used to "share" a Rolling Rock with the river on opening day to honor a fishing partner who is no longer with us.