How can I get a job in this industry?

streamwalker

Reaction score
Well first off I'm 19 and just starting out my " real world life " I'm going to school to become a diesel mechanic but know I don't want to do it long term and I know I want to be in the out door side of things. I was just wondering for those of you who are guides or own fly fishing stores or who work in the outdoor/fishing world how did you do it! I'm basically just wanting to know what the best way to start moving in the right direction to some day get a dream job. I can pretty much sacrifice moving to anywhere as I'm not tied down where I currently live. Dose anyone have any tips at all? Thanks!

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I never worked as a guide, but I worked in the fly fishing industry for six years.

There are two types of guides. One is an independent operator. The other works for a licensed outfitter. The independent operator has a business license, insurance bond, and guiding license. He is responsible for all of his overhead. The employee type is hired by a licensed outfitter. The outfitter takes care of the business overhead. In some states, the employee type guide will have to obtain a special guiding license to work for outfitters.

The shop that I worked at was not an outfitter. It contracted licensed guides.

One thing that I learned from the independent guides is that they have to know how to run their own businesses. You don't necessarily need a degree, but a few basic business classes under your belt will help. I have seen a few guides fail because of poor basic business practices like record keeping.

There are guide schools available. I have had mixed reviews on them.

Here's a reality check. Don't plan on getting rich in the industry. Guiding is more of a labor of love. Most successful guides who I know work part time in the industry and have full time paying jobs.

Dennis

gt05254

Reaction score
I don't know a lot of guides, but two of the most successful I know are women. One has a Master's of Fine Arts from Yale, the other has degrees from the school of hard knocks. Both have one thing in common: dedication to the job at hand. They appear to make a living wage, and have delightful attitudes towards life and their jobs. If you have some of those expectations and attitudes, I hope you'll find a place.
Gary

streamwalker

Reaction score
Thanks guys I don't want to be a guide right off because of my lack of experience but I just want a job that can maybe lead me toward being a guide one day. I just want to be able to teach others about fly fishing or just be in the out door field. I've always had an extreme passion for outdoors and fishing and if I could make a living then I would love to. I don't plan on getting rich or making tons of money. I can do that being a diesel mechanic. But I would be happier if I made enough to get by and enjoy what I do everyday of my life.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Find and fall in love with a specific river, get to know the folks in the local shops and eventually become a "Shop Rat" for a couple years while you expand your knowledge of the river....if it's meant to be you'll get your chance.

As Mosca mentioned, don't plan on getting rich by Guiding. It may be very beneficial to learn all you can about diesel mechanics and fall back on that during the off season.

Recently I was with a group of Guides and a couple of accomplished fellas in our sport, the subject came up(as it always does) "How do I get my name out there and make a living at this"? One of the well known fellas told the person that asked the question; Guiding alone is a very rough road anymore because everyone wants to be a Guide, according to his explanation you need something that sets you apart from everyone else, whether that be a book, photography, artwork, a new type of fly, designing fly rods, making fly reels, etc, etc. The point he was trying to make was that now days you gotta think outside the box to get your name out there.

Find your own niche and good luck.:)

trout champ

Reaction score
What part of the industry do you want to break into? Do you want to be a guide? Or a sales rep for a big company like Sage or Simms? How about the conservation side and becoming a Fisheries Biologist or a Game Warden? Lots of options with lots of different routes...

Randy

streamwalker

Reaction score
Trout champ really all options sound appealing to me even a sales rep! But game warden is kind of out of the question for a few things I don't wanna mention lol..but really just want to be in the industry some how. I want to be around what I love to do and make a living doing it.

wt bash

Reaction score
All I can say is be careful when trying to mix work and pleasure. Some can do it and live awesome lives but it its tough. Everything in life has to be balanced too much of one can taint the other. Know your personal limits and always have a solid plan B.

sandfly

Reaction score
After years of working PT in shops and guiding i fianally opened my own small shop since retiring. It's tough. I used to fish 7 days a week now I am lucky if i can get out 1 day a week, between shop and house. lots of work if it isn't selling its paper work. And I only specialize in hard to get things. And forget guiding to many out there now. get in the fisheries or forestry at least there is a future there.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
First, I'm glad that you have ambition and a dream. Too many 19 year olds out there disillusioned and distraught.

My input applies to my path in the design field, but I think it applies to anything:

Degrees were helpful. Turned out everyone had one of those. But what got me farther were connections, positivity and humility.

You're young and ambitious—you might be a threat. If you can avoid them, stay away from those that see you that way. You'll know them when you see them. Respect knowledge and you'll find it flowing right to you.

A positive attitude will get you through everything. We've all flubbed a cast or lost a fish...looking on the bright side helps us get to the next fish (or job).

I joined a few design clubs when I graduated. I made a lot of friends in college in locations that had jobs. The web was in its infancy (1991) and not everyone had cell phones. It was important to remember names, numbers, and faces. If you can remember something about each of them it went even further. These days it's much easier.

I manage to keep closer ties to a group of 15 (colleagues, mentors, students) via email, blogs, and facebook. Freelance work that I turn down I pass to this group as well as job offers—everyone tends to reciprocate.

My portfolio and personality landed me my jobs, but it was my connections that got me the opportunities. I've been designing professionally for 17 years. In that time I've worked at 5 companies and never had to really look for a job—all connections. When I was surprisingly laid off in 2002, it was my first boss from 1996 that lead me to my next job. It was a freelance job from 2008 that lead me to my current job which I started in 2010. I left my last job after 8 years because this one offered me the same pay and the ability to work from home—lots of flexibility. I'd like it to be my last, but I still keep up my network.

So, join a fishing club, stay active on forums, go to shows, work at a shop, join or help out at TU/Project Healing Waters/Casting for Recovery, etc. Get yourself a contact card (Name, email, twitter, fb, web site, number, linked in). You can get 250 for $10 here Vistaprint - Business Cards - Full Color Printing - Digital Printing Company | Vistaprint
Nurture social media. It helps but remember the human touch goes further (a WRITTEN thank you card or letter, face to face meeting, etc).

If you decide to guide, for heaven sakes hire someone to run your marketing/advertising/social media. Word of mouth can only get you so far ;-)

As most have noted already, being successful in the fly-fishing industry takes being friendly, honest and knowledgeable.

Consider building relationships your FIRST job. ;-)

GOOD LUCK!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I worked in a state trout hatchery for a season. I did it for the experience rather than the money, but the full timers had decent paying state jobs that they seemed to love.

FrankB2

Reaction score
What Shotgunfly said! There is nothing better than having a well-connected friend. I've beena photographer since high school, and began painting when I was in my early 20's. It wasn't until I made friends with the president of the board of directors at the Ocean City Arts Center (O.C., New Jersey) that I was actually able to make money painting full-time. You might not think a tourist town like Ocean City would be a haven for artists, but there were 175 working artists affiliated with the OC Arts Center during the 1990's. The local hotels and restaurants were always calling for murals and paintings, and after the prez and I became very good friends, those calls were sent to me first. Friendship wasn't the only thing behind getting those jobs, as many/most of the other artists had an "I'll get back to you in two weeks" attitude. I was there in 30 minutes or less. :D Needless to say, I had a lot of enemies between 1994 and 2000......

streamwalker

Reaction score
First, I'm glad that you have ambition and a dream. Too many 19 year olds out there disillusioned and distraught.

My input applies to my path in the design field, but I think it applies to anything:

Degrees were helpful. Turned out everyone had one of those. But what got me farther were connections, positivity and humility.

You're young and ambitious—you might be a threat. If you can avoid them, stay away from those that see you that way. You'll know them when you see them. Respect knowledge and you'll find it flowing right to you.

A positive attitude will get you through everything. We've all flubbed a cast or lost a fish...looking on the bright side helps us get to the next fish (or job).

I joined a few design clubs when I graduated. I made a lot of friends in college in locations that had jobs. The web was in its infancy (1991) and not everyone had cell phones. It was important to remember names, numbers, and faces. If you can remember something about each of them it went even further. These days it's much easier.

I manage to keep closer ties to a group of 15 (colleagues, mentors, students) via email, blogs, and facebook. Freelance work that I turn down I pass to this group as well as job offers—everyone tends to reciprocate.

My portfolio and personality landed me my jobs, but it was my connections that got me the opportunities. I've been designing professionally for 17 years. In that time I've worked at 5 companies and never had to really look for a job—all connections. When I was surprisingly laid off in 2002, it was my first boss from 1996 that lead me to my next job. It was a freelance job from 2008 that lead me to my current job which I started in 2010. I left my last job after 8 years because this one offered me the same pay and the ability to work from home—lots of flexibility. I'd like it to be my last, but I still keep up my network.

So, join a fishing club, stay active on forums, go to shows, work at a shop, join or help out at TU/Project Healing Waters/Casting for Recovery, etc. Get yourself a contact card (Name, email, twitter, fb, web site, number, linked in). You can get 250 for $10 here Vistaprint - Business Cards - Full Color Printing - Digital Printing Company | Vistaprint
Nurture social media. It helps but remember the human touch goes further (a WRITTEN thank you card or letter, face to face meeting, etc).

If you decide to guide, for heaven sakes hire someone to run your marketing/advertising/social media. Word of mouth can only get you so far ;-)

As most have noted already, being successful in the fly-fishing industry takes being friendly, honest and knowledgeable.

Consider building relationships your FIRST job. ;-)

GOOD LUCK!
thanks shotgun for the kind words and the great advice. i come from a family owned business know what its like to work for everything we own. i also know and having a personal connection with our customers is a big thing and a main reason why we are still open today. i reckon i will keep doing what im doing and push along. i know one day when the time is right i will get my break and someone will be looking for a guy like me to fill a spot in their company. in the mean time i will keep learning everything i can and keep meeting and talking to people in the industry. thanks again for all of guys pointers.