Southern Oregon

comeonavs

Reaction score
Southern Oregon experts (Fred), what do you think about Jacksonville?
I grew upon Jacksonville from 1973-1996 . Great small little town , Medofrd has obviously grown a lot closer to J'Ville than it used to be. Tons of outdoor activities from fishing to skiing.

Anything in particular you want info on ?

jsquires

Reaction score
Still struggling with finding the right area to buy a small retirement cabin. Kids are just north of Sacramento, so I'm thinking Southern Oregon would be doable. Redding is too hot for my liking.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Jacksonville is pretty small and relatively quiet. It has become yuppy sort of which means real estate is a premium. I don't know what your priorities for a retirement place, but I am going to assume chasing fish is on the list.

Jacksonville will give decent access to Applegate river and lake along with some small streams upriver of the Applegate lake (carberry creek). You will also be in decent range of the rogue river.

Or you could look at the other end of the valley out towards Eagle Point or all the way out to Shady Cove. That will get you probably lower property prices, more golf. You will have access to the rouge river, lost creek lake and a little further out the S Umpqua river and a straight shot over to Bend.

Either side will give you fairly equal access to I-5 , the mall and downtown

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I'll compare Ashland to Jacksonville as both are tourest Mecca's. Major difference is Ashland's three (or more) times larger. Both great places to walk around and poke your nose into the stores, eat, etc. Ashland has the Shakespeare theater(s) and JV has 'Britt.'

As far as a place to live they also have something in common: 'The most expensive housing in all of Southern Oregon.' If looking for housing look further west in the Rush (sp?) area as you get 'Rural' real quick after you leave the City limits.

The Applegate river is quite close, but public access is very limited and tends to pack people into a relatively few 'spots.' Candidly, I don't even bother to make the drive save for mid-week.

"Or you could look at the other end of the valley out towards Eagle Point or all the way out to Shady Cove. That will get you probably lower property prices, more golf. You will have access to the rouge river, lost creek lake and a little further out the S Umpqua river and a straight shot over to Bend.

Either side will give you fairly equal access to I-5 , the mall and downtown"

Fully agree with the above statement. I lived in Ashland for years and purchased a new out of the box home (new subdivision) east of 'Down Town' White City. Even today you can purchase a hell of a good sized home for UNDER $200K. $200K in JV is a good down payment (ditto Ashland).

My home is located one mile east of the intersection of Hwy 62 and 140 (to K Falls). I can be in down town Medford in less than 15 minutes, on the Rogue in about 10, etc.

If you need more info on the area, PM me with your questions.
Fred

jsquires

Reaction score
Just an fyi.. there's no Zachery's once you leave - lol
What's that?
If you're tallking about Zachary's Pizza, I'm not a fan. I like East Coast pizza, thinner crust.
What are the winters like in Bozeman? And what kind of airline connections do you have?
This is getting ridiculous. Can't make up my mind. It's either too hot, too cold, too expensive, too remote.

dhayden

Reaction score
Yes - Zachery's - I guess it's like fishing. Best Pizza (for me) ever

mikel

Reaction score
Do you think Roseburg and surrounding towns are too far north for you? I came very close to a move there a few years back and still would in a heartbeat.

bigshayne

Reaction score
So I grew up in the Rogue Valley and now live in Bend. I really think that the Medford area is pretty awesome. Especially if you have the free time to drive three hours. Yes there is great fishing much closer, but if you draw a 3 hour radius around the valley, you might blow your mind with the amount of opportunities. First is the Rogue and what is arguably the best run of steel head in the lower 48, it also has the half pounders, and the holy water. To the east is Klamath lake and its tributaries - HUGE FISH, spring creeks and still water fishing. To the south you have all the Nor Cal streams - McCloud, Sacremento, etc. To the west, the coast - one of the best serf perch fisheries I have ever heard of is around Brookings and then the lower rogue, the Chetco, etc. To the north you have the Umpqua and the McKenzie, but on the other side of the mountains and push your 3 hour radius a little, you have the Deschutes, all of its tributaries, and the high lakes.

Vans

Reaction score
Jacksonville is pretty nice. It can get touristy(i dont think that is a word. lol) though. It would be a beautiful place to retire to with lots of great fishing not too far away.

fredaevans

Reaction score
So I grew up in the Rogue Valley and now live in Bend. I really think that the Medford area is pretty awesome. Especially if you have the free time to drive three hours. Yes there is great fishing much closer, but if you draw a 3 hour radius around the valley, you might blow your mind with the amount of opportunities. First is the Rogue and what is arguably the best run of steel head in the lower 48, it also has the half pounders, and the holy water. To the east is Klamath lake and its tributaries - HUGE FISH, spring creeks and still water fishing. To the south you have all the Nor Cal streams - McCloud, Sacremento, etc. To the west, the coast - one of the best serf perch fisheries I have ever heard of is around Brookings and then the lower rogue, the Chetco, etc. To the north you have the Umpqua and the McKenzie, but on the other side of the mountains and push your 3 hour radius a little, you have the Deschutes, all of its tributaries, and the high lakes.
Very good over view above. The thing that makes the Rogue Valley such a great place to live is ..... there are damned few people here. Really. Jackson County is the 'population' center of Southern Oregon and we're at a tad over 200,000 people. 30 minutes from down town Medford and you're 'in the sticks' any direction you point your car.

Interestesting bit is this is the fourth 'electronic conversation' I've had in a tad over a week with folks looking to move to the area. If you're retired this is a heck of a great place to be. Any 'out door activity' you can think of is available within an hour of our front door. And I do mean 'any.'

Weather wise we're considered 'high desert' with average rain fall of less than 20 inches. Snow in the Winter, rare on the valley floor but the mountains around us can easily get 250 inches. Summer temps usually in the mid-80's to mid-90's, with a handful of days that will top 100.

Etc.

fae

ontheflyguide

Reaction score
This is a TRUE statement if I have ever seen one. I love the Rogue Valley, I can be on the river in 5-10 minutes. within a hour and a half I can catch trophy trout, bass, lingcod, surf perch. where else can you do that!

fredaevans

Reaction score
Rogue Valley is one of the few places I can think of where you go snow skiing in the morning, put your gear away and be 'jet sking' on a huge lake 20 minutes later. Done with that, 30 minutes later you're casting for steelhead on the Rogue River.

Not kidding about the time frames. (Mt. Ashland, Emigrant Lake, then up I-5 to Tou Velle Park.)