How would you get your Mangrove Muddler deeper?

thechroniclesofmasi

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I am new to the sport, but not new to fishing. I have been catching red fish for ever and know that the strike zone is just above the grass.

So I did my research and found some good patterns for reds however they all pretty much float. I am using a combination of leader material from Hard nylon to Fluro (at least the last two tippets), but nothing will make them go under more.

So my question is: What methods are out there to get my flies between 1-3 feet below the surface?

All of the patterns are between #4 - 2/0.

I know about intermediate sinking lines but that will just make the line sink in such shallow water and the fly will be on the surface still.

Splitshot?

Do I need to grease the leader?

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Thanks

pkins44

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this helps. But if you tie up your own flies and are looking for the same fly to hit different depths I tie some assorted diameters of lead wire just over the base layer of thread. Then I tie the the fly as I normally would. This is the method I use for fishing my home river that runs from 2-5' deep. I hope this helps and I know this is just one method. But there is always more than one way to skin a cat. Hope this helps.

theboz

Reaction score
Muddler depth can easily be regulated by tying your pattern on a heavier hook. Light wire hooks high in the column , stainless steel a little deeper. Sparser patterns deeper yet. Experiment!

L

Liphookedau

I try to keep clear of Lead Shot as a whack from them can damage Rods & they always seem to moove.
As mentioned using Lead Stripping Or Wire in The Bodies works well,Tungsten Beads are OK & can be used with many Different Lines,Sinking Heads etc.
Brian.

bugslinger

Reaction score
If the advice the boz gave you doesn't work try some sheet tungsten under the gold body wrap, the sink rate with a saltwater hook should be fast enough to get to the Reds .

thechroniclesofmasi

Reaction score
All very good suggestions!

Just what I was afraid of. I am not tying flies as of yet do to my time constraints.

I am posting a good sinking redfish pattern question on the saltwater forum if anyone wants to navigate over there and shoot me some suggestions.

Thanks!