What would you do?

plecain

Reaction score
I posted something like this in a local forum. Some of the replies were interesting, to say the least.

You're fishing a secluded stream where you rarely see anyone else.
The fishing is just great - lots of fish, good size to them.

Another fisherman who you've never seen before shows up on the bank and says, "How's the fishing?".

What do you say?

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
If it is secluded, chances are he put the effort in to find it as well. Unless he has a creel or bait I would be honest about it.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
In a situation like that it's "I got a couple"

But my stock reply when someone asks "Any luck ?" is "I haven't fallen in yet !"
:eek:

Unless it's someone that looks like they could honestly use the help, that's all they get

raindogt

Reaction score
"don't crowd me and I'll give you a pattern that's working...." I don't care if he wants to share the water-- just not immediately near me.

shimloom

Reaction score
I have had this situation before. I do a quick read on the person. If they are using good equipment or appear to be honest looking, well mannered, I will tell them the fishing is what ever it happens to be. I also ask that they not fish on top of my spot.

Craig

streamwalker

Reaction score
for me it really depends on how i feel about the person. i have meet some good fly fishermen out there on the river and dont mind a bit fishing with them. i have said this many times on this forum that i enjoy getting out their and taking in the whole experience. i can sit in a delayed harvest stream and pull fish out of it for hours straight if i wanted to. but ill catch a few fish then go on and find some more. i have more joy out of hiking way back in BFE and finding an amazing looking hole and pulling just 1 fish out of it then fishing the main waters and pulling 10 out of a single hole. but anyways im in it for the experience and if the guy seems good to get along with then we just trade off holes and both enjoy catching fish and each others company. but like i said 9 times out of 10 im hiking back to parts of streams that no one would wanna go with me.

caseywise

Reaction score
it's either "caught a few" or "just got here" depending on how close the guy wants to get.
i have no problem sharing a run with someone who respects my space.

casey

trout champ

Reaction score
I tell him the truth. Ask him how the day is treating him. Trade a couple secrets and flies. I am a pretty generous fly fisherman and give away lots of flies and secrets if I get a little something in return.

I was taught that a good fisherman knows the good holes in a river, but a great fisherman can fish the whole river.

Randy

L

Liphookedau

It happens to me all the time,however where I mainly fish isn't secluded & is very well Fished.
On the other hand if it was secluded I would probably say " Alright " if it was a Favourite I wouldn't divulge any more than I had to as "The Bush Telegraph" & also over here with The Internet There are A Few Forums where People Like To Tell where,when,etc,etc,& word quickly gets around.
The Next thing there are Tracks & Rubbish everywhere.
Even though I with others From our Club release Fish into our Rivers there are People I'd never tell where I put Them although they have to be put where we recomended & The Fisheries are very strict that The Fish must go into those areas that they were allocated for,if anyone wants to find out they have to contact The Fisheries as they display all The Info on Their website.
Brian.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Hell I'm weird, if I am catching fish ill show the guy what my setup is if he is friendly. I've even given guys flies out of my box if I'm really having a hot day on a fly they don't have.

Someone did this for me once and he actually took the time to show me how to read a run better and spot fish. I guess I am a pay it forward kind of guy.

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
For the record I was joking about the spinning gear comment haha. Someone had made a comment like that on the other forum and I am guessing that is what the OP was talking about when he said that forum got some interesting replies.

pa dave

Reaction score
Question: "How's the fishing?"

Answer: "It sure beats yard work!"

And it does, no matter how good or bad the fishing is. I wouldn't lie to the guy, but I don't always share the whole truth, either. Like others have said, I have no problem fishing close as long as they respect my space. Too many times I've had someone proceed to cast in the exact same area I'm casting into.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I am generally pretty honest about it. I also let them know that standing behind me is a dangerous place to be. I might not tell them how big the fish are I am getting though.

Up here finding another fly fisherman happens just about as often as a complete solar eclipse, and other shore fisherman only slightly more often, so this is mostly speculation. I do get nonfishing gawkers a couple times a Summer.

caseywise

Reaction score
my grandfather was a navy man, wwII veteran, purple heart, boxing champ kinda guy. never took any guff from no one but never gave any that was undeserved.
i remember one early morning on the deep creek river up in ak, when we were fishing a hole for kings and he hooked into a big one. i mean 35 lbs.+!
he fought that salmon tooth and nail for a good while and then, right up the bank came "mr. cabela" (as he would call people in all new gear that had no clue, flailing around with no idea)..
and so mr. cabela thought it might be a good idea to cast over my paps line in the heat of battle , thus snagging onto his line. cabela then decided that it was all my grandfathers fault and then he went full tilt int trying to instigate a fight. after numerous attempts by to untangle and finally snip his line, the guy thought it wise to challenge the wwII vet, gold glove boxer, purple heat winner to a brawl.....
RIP pap.

casey