Smith Optics vs Costa Del Mar

axle27

Reaction score
Anyone have any opinions between Smith Optics and Costa Del Mar's? I lean toward the Costas because you can get actual glass in lieu of plastic. The price is....something that holds me back some.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Before you decide on your next purchase of sunglasses, take the time to listen to the Itinerent Angler's podcast titled "Sunglass 101 with Costa Sunglass VP of Product Development. It was produced on Feb 4, 2013, so scroll down to the second episode in the list:
The Itinerant Angler

One thing I learned from listening to the podcast is that glass len's cause the sunglasses to be heavier, but if you tend to be hard on them, then glass is the way to go as it will resist scratches much better than the plastic. On the other hand, if the additional weight is an issue than go with plastic, but they will require a little more TLC. Costa has a propriatary approach to making polarized sunglasses which is also very interesting and that is what drives up the cost......my next pair will be the Costa 580's.

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
There is no comparison to Costa Del Mar 580 glass lenses, period...

Glass may be heavier, but Costa's glass lenses are half the weight of other companies glass lenses, at least they feel that way on my face...

axle27

Reaction score
My brother in law has a set of Costa Del Mar with the 580s. The clarity with those is a full notch above the Oakley's that I have with aftermarket polarization.

Like everything else in my life, I have to be very careful with laying out cash for something. I don't know if I can justify the cost, but I'm always considering stuff.

kwb

Reaction score
It's definitely a costly investment considering they are sunglasses, but I have bought both my pairs on eBay brand new for less than retail so that saved me some coin and one pair is over 5 years old now, still look new.

Obviously what you do makes no difference to me, but if you take care of them, you will have them for a long long time.

wishiniwerfishin

Reaction score
Costa's... No question. The 580 glass is super clear and designed for fishermen. Even the poly lenses are better than any other I have had. Smith should stick to what they know best... ski goggles. They're Lenses are no better than any other cheap polarized glasses for fishing, but I will admit they do look good.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Costa's are great but Smith Action Optics fishing glasses are hi-tech glass as well. Glass is not only scratch resistant but there is far less distortion than with even high quality CR39 type plastic lenses...polycarbonate is barely optical material but is the lightest. Chose between the Smith and Costa product based on frame style and tint...they are both first rate and worth every penny.

kwb

Reaction score
Costa's are great but Smith Action Optics fishing glasses are hi-tech glass as well. Glass is not only scratch resistant but there is far less distortion than with even high quality CR39 type plastic lenses...polycarbonate is barely optical material but is the lightest. Chose between the Smith and Costa product based on frame style and tint...they are both first rate and worth every penny.
Smith's weigh quite a bit more and clarity isn't even close...

You should try them side by side sometime...

I agree they likely are the two best, but man the Smith's feel heavy on your face in comparison to the Costa's and I personally see much better with the Costa's that may be different for others though as I am sure everyone's eyes are a bit different.

itchmesir

Reaction score
If you want overall quality control... Action Optics aka Smith Optics... Makes all their glass lenses in their own labs... Costa only makes their own frames and outsources the lenses from a separate company... Also I don't think Costa offers PolarChromic Polarization which means the level of tint on the lenses changes depending on the current conditions... I've own a couple pairs of Smiths(non-glass) and their polycarbonate is pretty dang scratch resistant... I'd imagine their glass is even better

kwb

Reaction score
If you want overall quality control... Action Optics aka Smith Optics... Makes all their glass lenses in their own labs... Costa only makes their own frames and outsources the lenses from a separate company... Also I don't think Costa offers PolyChromic Polarization which means the level of tint on the lenses changes depending on the current conditions... I've own a couple pairs of Smiths(non-glass) and their polycarbonate is pretty dang scratch resistant... I'd imagine their glass is even better

The polychromic lenses are what I own, I still see better in all light levels with my 580G lenses by Costa...

You ever tried them side by side? Just curious...

That could be a great idea for one of these fly shops next "shootouts" sunglasses...

boomslang

Reaction score
Costa 580 in copper and go fishing.........smiths are okay...but, does not come close to costas - both in price and quality....

awkwardsportsman

Reaction score
Costas for sure. I worked at a sporting goods retailer for quite some time, and I took just about everypair of sunglasses outside for a test on colors and clarity. For me the Costas were the best, but everyones' eyes are different. Ask the retailer if you can step outside with them and take a look at natural colors. Revo also makes a very high quality set, but they are not aimed for the fisherman in mind. If you want to save some cash don't hesitate on the glass 400 Costas either. I've got a set and they are wonderful to look through. The 580 is a tad better, but it is not a night and day difference.

shimloom

Reaction score
I have two pair of the Costa glasses, 1 pair of the 580 and one 400. Both are awesome. The 580's are just awesome. The warranty is one thing you need to look at with Costa, not cheap, at least they were a couple of years ago. My buddy has a pair of Smiths, and they are nice, but he likes my 580's better.

Craig

silver creek

Reaction score
I have 2 pr of Maui Jim's glass lens sunglasses in copper and rose, and Costa 400 glass copper lenses. They are about the same. I'm looking to pick up a pair of Costa 580 glass to see if it is superior.

mrfzx

Reaction score
Axle, I do not know how close to a Cabela's store you are, but if you can get to one, check out the bargain cave. I have bought 5 pair there (3 for gifts) and I didn't pay more than $100 for any of them....all had the 580 glass.

I have severe problems with my vision( corneal disease). Right now I am wearing reading glasses in addition to my surgically fitted hard contact lenses, and I am still squinting. My Opthamologist told me that sunglasses were a necessity, and he ordered me to buy Costa's....and he doesn't sell them! Good enough for me!

axle27

Reaction score
That's the ones my brother-in-law have.

Another problem is that I'm real particular about the sunglasses I buy. Right now, I use Oakley Half jacket XJ's, which I love. The clarity is good, but nothing like the Costa's, tho. But, half the cost of the Costas. Now, I've tried on several models of the Costa's and the Brine is the one. I think that a good all around lens is the copper, but I'm not sure.

I don't know if there's anyplace that I can try on the Smith's.

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
I have the Man O War 580s and also grabbed the Corbina 580s recently, both in blue mirror because I use them the most while fishing the salt. I plan on picking up the Corbinas in Green Mirror or other light color in the near future for fishing shaded streams. Even with cloudy skies and tree cover, the blue mirror does better than you would expect.

Don't think I will ever buy another brand.

cowger10

Reaction score
I got a pair of 580's the end of this last summer and I can say that I will not be buying anything else. I don't think you can beat the clarity of the lenses. Also I am hard on glasses and they have held up with what I have put them through.

cw76

Reaction score
I've had both and prefer the Costa's for sure, just received some old swordfishes back from the company with Nice new lenses. After a few fatalities over the side of boats, in rivers(or left on a bar after too many Cuba libre's) I don't go anywhere with my shades on without croakies XL's. Best 8 bucks I've spent in a while.

Last edited:

kwb

Reaction score
Just an FYI...

The Green Mirror 580G Costa lens is a copper lens with a green mirror finish, by far my favorite.

The Blue Mirror are a little bit darker tint than my green mirror lenses are, I find the green to be the perfect model for my eyes...

If I mainly fished fresh water, I would go with green mirror...