What would you do?

trout champ

Reaction score
So I'm kinda pissed maybe, not sure what to think. Let me start off by saying that I am a really good friend of the shop. I buy 95% of my fly fishing stuff at this shop. Rods, waders, reels, lines, fly tying stuff, the whole bit. I guided for them for two seasons. I even go to Bible study with the shop owners. Anyway...

I spent the last two afternoons test casting several 4wt rods at my local, preferred fly shop. Two days ago I wanted to test cast a 490 Sage One. They didn't have one, but had the 486 so I cast it. I mentioned to by fly fishing mentor, we will call him Steve, and shop employee my wanting to compare the 490. He says cool, he'll put it with his pre order stuff and it should be here in a week or two. The shop manager, we'll call him Tim, says no freakin way is that happening because no one is dumb enough to buy a 490 One and he does not want to be stuck with a rod he can't sell if I choose the 486.

Steve orders the rod anyway says don't worry about it. It's a rod that they should be carrying anyway. If I don't buy it he can sell it for sure.

The next day, I see Tim the manager and he jumps all over my ass and asks why I would have Steve order the rod? I told him what Steve says and he calls bull **** and thinks that I won't buy either rod. He continues to keep squawking about it for the next hour as I cast other 4wt rods.

I then see Tim again today and he continues to ride my ass about the 490 Sage One. So I told him that's cool. If this is how a customer who is gonna buy a new premium rod and reel will be treated, I'll probably buy the rod at their only competition in town, and their incredibly heated rivals. Seriously they hate each other worse than when you step on a LEGO.

He says cool. It sucks that they're losing a sale, but he still doesn't think I'll buy a rod anywhere and thinks I just wasted one of their preseason order slots.

What would you do? Am I being a little girl?

Thanks
Randy

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I'd say he WILL sell the ONE. And if he really wanted to, I'm sure Sage would take it back when it arrives for another model. There are lots worse things that can happen to a person than having a ONE arrive at the shop.

As far as between you and he....that's just something only you can know what to do. Go with your instincts I suppose.

sandfly

Reaction score
I would buy it from the other shop then walk in to that one and show steve and thank him for trying to help but explain about the manager and say thats why you went down town .

moucheur2003

Reaction score
What Steve Said. Plus, buy the manager a copy of Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People". Tell him it's an apology gift for putting him through so much trouble.

tbblom

Reaction score
Sounds like the shop owner (Steve) has a little sand in his Va-j-j.
But, I would still buy the rod from them, since Tim was courteous enough to order the rod up. Really the issue is between Tim and Steve. Steve doesn't like to take a risk, and Tim is more willing to. At any rate, the shop is only out the cost of the rod, but still stands to make $300+ on it when and if it sells. Worst case scenario they sell the 490 on closeout at the end of the season, but they still recoup their costs... So really no one should be whining about it. Especially if they want to keep you as a customer.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't lose sight of this: be respectful, courteous, kind, even if you take your business elsewhere.

From what you write, it sounds like you're upset because Tim and Steve put you in the middle of their own dispute. That's certainly cause to be a little irritated because you are a customer who's only buying a fly rod. They should be the ones who know the policies and be on the same page.

Here's my suggestion: See if you can gently engage Tim (and maybe Steve) in another conversation about this but gently point out that you are being placed in the middle of a dispute between his employee and him. Let them both know your dissatisfaction and that you were poorly treated (Use the old "I-feel" statements e.g. "I felt disrespected as a customer when I was lectured for something an employee did and said was OK."

Show them, especially Tim, what you're willing to do. It sounds to me like you are willing to buy a rod one way or the other. Communicate that and your willingness to remain a loyal customer. The real prize in this is not a fly rod, but the opportunity to build/rebuild a relationship that's good for all three of you, and sounds like it has been very good till this point. It can keep being that way. Communicate to them that it ought to be worth an extra fly rod in stock.

Maybe give Tim some time to think about it after you speak with him. Let him process it. If he can;t see it then that other fly shop might be worth a visit.

This is Palm Sunday, so I'm essentially putting in a plug for the cross. You don't have to take it up, but it gives life. Take this up, and you might get a chunk of that life and blessing for yourself, Tim, and Steve. You might end up with a nice fly rod, too.

troutchaser8

Reaction score
I'd go buy from somewhere else! No one who works in a fly shop let alone the manager should call you dumb for wanting to test a rod! Still be respectful to them, eventhough they (or the boss in particular) treated you tht way.

Last edited:

brucerducer

Reaction score
What Steve Said. Plus, buy the manager a copy of Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People". Tell him it's an apology gift for putting him through so much trouble.
Yeah. Ditto on that. Nothing too complicated. The shop owner is having a cow over a small issue.

jaybo41

Reaction score
I'd go to the other shop to see if they have a 490 and cast it. If that's the rod, buy it from the original shop because your mentor Steve put one on order for you. If not, then let Steve know and see if he can make a change to the order.

Since you said you know the owners, I would have a conversation with them about how you were treated in their shop. I'm sure they'd like to know because if this is happening to you, it might have happened to others. Acknowledge that you're a loyal customer (I'm sure they know this) but you're happy to take your business elsewhere. Whether it's the other shop or internet, there are too many choices these days to have to deal with bad customer service.

As far as Tim's behavior: I question how he's in a position to be a manager with such poor customer service skills, let alone thinking that a flagship model in a highly popular configuration won't sell. Add to the fact there's a good chance the order can be changed. Maybe the guy had a bad day? In any event, that's no excuse to take that out on any customer, let alone a loyal one.

plecain

Reaction score
Since you said you know the owners, I would have a conversation with them about how you were treated in their shop.
I agree. Most owners really want to know when a good customer is unhappy.

Not fly equipment, but the same principle - a local restaurant where I buy a couple of hundred meals per year had a problem with the cooks on a particular night of the week. It was so bad, to me, that I stopped buying there on that night.

After a couple of months of avoiding that night of the week, I mentioned the problem to the owner. He asked why I didn't tell him sooner. And, he fixed the problem that week just by telling his cooks what he expected.

williamhj

Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't lose sight of this: be respectful, courteous, kind, even if you take your business elsewhere.

From what you write, it sounds like you're upset because Tim and Steve put you in the middle of their own dispute.
x2. If they have some issue going on, it's a shame they brought you into the middle of it. Always puts me off when that happens to me.

It sounds like you're not only a good customer but a friend so you have to ask yourself it if losing the friendship is worth repaying them for how they've hurt you. If they really are friends I'd say it's better to let it go, extend some of the grace and forgiveness you read about in the bible study with the owner. Or, better yet, ask the guys what's going on between them. If you're friends then they ought to be your focus rather than getting them back for a bad experience. We all mess up sometimes. If the friendship isn't worth it to you then vote with your dollars and buy the rod somewhere else, but don't rub their noses in it. That wouldn't do anyone any good.

Poke 'Em

Reaction score
So I'm kinda pissed maybe, not sure what to think. Let me start off by saying that I am a really good friend of the shop. I buy 95% of my fly fishing stuff at this shop. Rods, waders, reels, lines, fly tying stuff, the whole bit. I guided for them for two seasons. I even go to Bible study with the shop owners. Anyway...

I spent the last two afternoons test casting several 4wt rods at my local, preferred fly shop. Two days ago I wanted to test cast a 490 Sage One. They didn't have one, but had the 486 so I cast it. I mentioned to by fly fishing mentor, we will call him Steve, and shop employee my wanting to compare the 490. He says cool, he'll put it with his pre order stuff and it should be here in a week or two. The shop manager, we'll call him Tim, says no freakin way is that happening because no one is dumb enough to buy a 490 One and he does not want to be stuck with a rod he can't sell if I choose the 486.

Steve orders the rod anyway says don't worry about it. It's a rod that they should be carrying anyway. If I don't buy it he can sell it for sure.

The next day, I see Tim the manager and he jumps all over my ass and asks why I would have Steve order the rod? I told him what Steve says and he calls bull **** and thinks that I won't buy either rod. He continues to keep squawking about it for the next hour as I cast other 4wt rods.

I then see Tim again today and he continues to ride my ass about the 490 Sage One. So I told him that's cool. If this is how a customer who is gonna buy a new premium rod and reel will be treated, I'll probably buy the rod at their only competition in town, and their incredibly heated rivals. Seriously they hate each other worse than when you step on a LEGO.

He says cool. It sucks that they're losing a sale, but he still doesn't think I'll buy a rod anywhere and thinks I just wasted one of their preseason order slots.

Thanks
Randy
Were you being a little girl for the way you acted at the shop? No. Are you being a little girl for whining about it and looking for people to agree with you so you feel better on a public forum...?

nickj

Reaction score
You're in Fountain? Go to the shop at 24 and 21st in the Springs. I live real close to another store up here, it's about a 70 mile drive for me, but that's my go-to store. Always treated courteously and professionally there. It's probably a no-no to mention the store name, but I guess you know the store.

throssing

Reaction score

Thanks
Randy
Why would no one be dumb enough to buy a 9 ft 4 wt One? Is this a bad rod???

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I'd still get which ever one you get from them. Then tell them thanks, and that you understand the reluctance to get a one.

Personally I would be reluctant as well. It's a 4 wt. It's a One. :rolleyes: I'm sure he has a pretty darned good idea of what gets sold and what sets there gathering dust.

Good fly shops are a great thing to have. Even married people don't get along 100% of the time. As I said, I see why he didn't want to get it. I'll bet if it was a bigger weight he would not have minded. Funny part is, knowing Sage, it is a bigger weight. :tongue:

streamwalker

Reaction score
Id order from another shop. That's just me though. My family owns a self owned business and I understand how to treat customers and how I would like to be treated as well.. A rod is just like. Hunting bow..when I was looking for my new hunting bow I shot many of them! Had a shop order one they didn't have in stock and shot it when it got there and I hated it..shop didn't mind a bit this is why you wanna try things out when you are planning to buy something expensive because it may not be what it says on paper. This is also really hard for me because I'm only 19 and most shop owners and managers don't think a 19 year old will lay down $500 on a fishing pole or a hunting bow but they don't realize that some teenagers these days still work there but off. It's hard for me to find a hop that will take me serious just because of my age which is frustrating. Anyways if I were u I would head to another shop..

attila

Reaction score
I'd explain what happened to the guy who ordered the rod and if I liked it I'd buy it. But I wouldn't buy anything else there ever again. And I'd be sure they'd know why.

cletus

Reaction score
A couple of years ago, I was looking at several different Winstons. The shop contacted Winston who shipped out a demo (the shop had the other two in stock). Not sure if Sage does something similar but if so but it might be way to cast the rod without the shop being stuck with a rod they don't want. If you like the rod, the shop can have one drop-shipped directly from Sage.

Conversely, you could ask when the next time the Sage rep will be in the area and have the shop ask him to bring one (the Winston rep actually picked up the rod I tested but did not buy).

Just my two cents. Good luck.

Meatco1

Reaction score
Hello Randy:

While I wouldn't presume to advise you on this problem, I can make you an offer to test out my 904 Sage One.

My ranch is located about 120 miles South of you, and right now, Trinidad is the only thing open.

Or, perhaps we can meet somewhere along the Arkansas, between Cotopaxi, and Salida?

In any case you're certainly welcome to wring out my "One".

Respects,

Richard

Thanks
Randy