Drag on a fly reel

spinsheet

Reaction score
OK, I am totally new to fly fishing so please forgive this question. I'm a bit confused about how drag works on a fly reel. I know from my spinning reels and baitcasters how it works as the reel will release line even when reeling in depending on how the drag is set. I'm not seeing this with a fly reel though. If you are reeling it in, no matter how the drag is set it will not release line. The only way that I can see the drag working is if you are simply not holding the crank (handle?). The crank and reel are locked in at 1:1 so no matter what that stays the same.

It's almost like my old Ambassadeur 5000C, if you want to give the fish some line you simply crank in reverse. Am I missing something regarding drag on a fly reel?

trout champ

Reaction score
I'll use Sage reels as an example.

Their reel drag knobs are numbered 1-10. Setting 1 is pretty much letting the fish have line at his will. Setting 10 will stop the fish or snap your tippet because the drag stops the reel from spinning, or almost stops it.

There is also a click and pawl style reel. Same principals, but there is not a drag to engage. The reels lightest setting is like free spooling and the tightest setting is still letting line from the reel, no stopping power like a disc drag reel. People use their hand as their drag called palming the reel.

I usually keep my drag setting maybe on 4 or 5 setting and control the line with my trigger finger.

Hope that helps
Randy

stonewolf

Reaction score
there are many designs and set ups i use drag free reels with external spools and palm it (useing the palm of your hand as drag on the spool) but there are many with adjustable drag and sealed drags and i have a white water and an orvis with switches or toggels that either lock the drag to only reel in or set drag on out goin line or free spin. shop around around do some research and visit your local shop you will find what suits you ... also palming not recomended for beginners

i think the 5000c is a free spooling reel if it dosnt turn free it should be taken apart and cleaned

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

spinsheet

Reaction score
My reel is a Grey G2, not sure what style drag that has. From what I hear then the drag only comes into play when I actually release the handle on the reel. If I want to add to the drag I can palm the spool helping to slow it down. But as long as I have a hand on the actual handle the drag will not come into play, unlike a spinning reel or most baitcasters.

This question is coming from someone that has only used a fly rod to jerk bluegill out of the water and that was 20 years ago. I've never 'properly' caught a fish with one.

And yes, my old 5000C is free spinning. The only 'drag' is my letting go of the handle or winding backwards to let the fish run.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I know from my spinning reels and baitcasters how it works as the reel will release line even when reeling in depending on how the drag is set. I'm not seeing this with a fly reel though.
There are fly reels that do it the same way, they are called Anti-reverse reels. If you don't have an anti-reverse reel you need to know when to let loose of the reel handle. In a spinning rod, if you keep reeling while a fish is ripping line off, you end up twisting the heck out of the line, so I assume you know when to stop reeling with a spinning reel. It's the same with a fly rod. When you should stop reeling with a spinning reel is the same time you should let go of the handle.

If you are you are reeling it in, no matter how the drag is set it will not release line. The only way that I can see the drag working is if you are simply not holding the crank (handle?). The crank and reel are locked in at 1:1 so no matter what that stays the same.
Correct. Not much I can add to that, you have it nailed down. Unless like I said, you get and anti-reverse fly reel, then you can hold it and the drag will feed line out without the handle flying around and beating your knuckles.

It's almost like my old Ambassadeur 5000C, if you want to give the fish some line you simply crank in reverse. Am I missing something regarding drag on a fly reel?
You can back reel if you think it's a good idea, but the best thing to do is set the drag right to begin with (I go 1/4-1/3 of the tippet strength on a straight pull, and then when a fish runs, get my reeling hand out of the way. When a fish gets way out keep in mind the drag gets harder, bending the rod more increases the drag on the fish, so you will want to point the rod more at a fish that has you way out of the reel.

Back to that how I set the drag thing. A lot of people just go "Oh, this feels about right" and start fishing. You can do that and get away with a lot of times, but when you get a really big fast fish one of these days, it may bite you in the rear end. Set it right, get you hand out of the way, pay attention to how far away it's getting.

O

okuma

Kinda along with all this, keep in mind, the more a fish runs, the hotter your drag system will become. Thus increasing the drag pressure. Like my friend Dan says, make sure you keep your hand clear of the reel knob on a run. You may also control the line escaping by added pressure of the line against the cork handle with the hand opposite reeling.

spinsheet

Reaction score
This actually clears it up perfectly for me. I really need to get out there and fly fish with someone that knows what they're doing. I think that would save me the effort of about 1000 posts :)

Thanks everyone for the insight.

nick k

Reaction score
The drag is also negligible depending on what you're fishing for, and even how you fish to some extent. Certain fish will rarely make runs great enough to put you on your reel.

I primarily fish for largemouth and my reel does little more than hold my line. I am able to play the fish entirely by holding the line in my left hand and letting out excess stripped line if the fish begins the pull.

Some people like to use the reel regardless of their target species, and take the time to reel in all slack and stripped line before they begin playing a fish.

spinsheet

Reaction score
That was another question that I had! When do you reel in a fish and when do you just pull in the stripped line? I guess it's all a matter of the size of the fish and personal preference?

O

okuma

Spin,
For me personally, it's when I get a hot fish on. You will know. A fish on the reel, will put itself on alot of times. Size of the fish, current, the aggression the fish uses to escape, all become a factor. If you're hand stripping a fish in and it gets "hot" on you, try to control your fly line as the fish is running with it until your near the end of the excess line. Then, wind up on the reel. Make sure you're layering the line evenly by using your index finger to put it on the reel. Line bunched to one side of your reel spool will cause many problems. Honestly, this will all become natural as you grow to the sport.

nick k

Reaction score
That was another question that I had! When do you reel in a fish and when do you just pull in the stripped line? I guess it's all a matter of the size of the fish and personal preference?
What type of fish are you targeting, and how big are they?

spinsheet

Reaction score
Right now I'm going to hit some farm ponds. Bluegill, a Largemouth Bass if I'm lucky (2 - 3# max I would guess). Going to MI to trout fish in the Manistee in June, no ideal what to expect there.

I'll eventually have to get another rod/reel for fishing in the Chesapeake Bay. Perch, Rockfish (what you non Marylanders call Stripers...), and the like.

nick k

Reaction score
I doubt you will ever see the drag engage while you are fishing for bluegill and small largemouth (unless they strike right at the peak of your cast length.

I use a 6wt rod, 20lb mono leader, and 12lb mono tippet for these same situations, because theres a lot of vegetation that I need to yank my bass out of. I pretty much never worry about breaking off. Even if a fish does get on the reel, I never adjust the drag (which is set to very low) and simply hold the line to create drag when I need to).

I think drag is really all about what tipper sizes you are using, how big the fish are, and what tendency they have to run. Bass typically do not run, then tend to hunker down and head for vegetation. Bluegill make nice little runs, but are rarely large enough to warrant a second thought about giving them line (if you are using leaders/tipper designed for bass). Trout require small leaders and tippets and letting them play on the reel and drag may be a good thing. A nice smooth drag will protect a light tipper as it applies even resistance. This being said, some trout just like to splash around a bit and can be effectively fought by holding the line.

Really, its all preference for the large part I think. Sometimes I let fish on the real just for fun. Most times I just hold the line and pull them in, I think it's more fun that way. More fish-fisherman connection.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If it's a small fish it's probably better to just strip it in, but if it's easy to get it on the reel I'd do it any way. A lot of times a big fish will get itself on the reel for you, and if they don't you probably should. As I said in the post before, set your drag right, and that is why you should do it on the reel. It is better than most fisherman.

Breaking a fish off is operator error 100% of the time. Getting cut off by teeth or another object is another story. The reason you want to get a big fish on the reel though, is that you are never going to be as accurate a drag as the drag is. I recently watched a video where some guys broke fish after fish off. They had line out of the reel, fish in fast water and just held the line tightly till it broke the fish off. It was the silliest thing I have seen in a while.If they had just given the fish line, got them on the reel and let the drag do it's job (provided they were not so silly they set that wrong also), they would have landed every one of them provided they didn't shake the hook or something else we have no control over.

If a fish is willing to got the line on the reel for you, let them. A properly set drag is more accurate than you are, especially if you are full of adrenaline with a monster on the line.

One last thing, Okuma made a very good point about layering the line on the reel. If you just reel like crazy without regard for where it's going you can get it all on one side of the spool and jam the reel. It's a bad thing. The way I do it if control the rod and the line with one hand, and reel with the other. The hand on the rod gets the fish end of the line between my thumb and fore finger, and the reel end I control the place it goes on the reel with the crook of the first knuckle of my Karate Pinky. :D

Last edited:

charged

Reaction score
Also keep in mind the drag is biased towards one direction. Even though you have a drag set, you typically do not have to fight the drag while retrieving.

If the reel is setup correctly, you will still be able to reel line in easily, And the drag will only engage while line is being pulled out. Different types of reels use different methods to allow the drag mechanism to disengage while reeling in, so you don't have to fight the fish and the drag within a retrieve.

At first this sounds like a pain, but after a little while it actually makes fighting the fish that much more engaging, as you each you and the fish need to pick your moments throughout the fight.

Even though the drag may feel relatively light to pull out by hand, the angle of the rod helps to build additional pressure on the fish

[ame="http://youtu.be/afN9i6gEhec"]http://youtu.be/afN9i6gEhec[/ame]

[ame="http://youtu.be/zfbomBqi784"]http://youtu.be/zfbomBqi784[/ame]

Learning to properly fight a fish on a fly rod, can also make you a better fisherman when fighting a fish using other methods. I'll never forget the day I took my sister fishing, and she hooked her first steelhead on a spinning reel. She still got it, but did just about everything wrong, she never once stopped reeling in throughout the entire fight. (She would probably make a good pro bass fisherman ;) .) This fish she caught would have never made it to shore if she was fishing with a fly rod.

Last edited:

spinsheet

Reaction score
I guess I'm confused again :(

You say to get the fish on the reel because the reel's drag is better than I am. But I can't see how my drag will come into play unless I actually let go of the handle and palm the spool. Or is that what you are talking about?

And remember, I have yet to fish with my new fly rod. All I've done is take it out of the box and stare passionately at it (while my wife glares at me). So maybe I'm missing something obvious here that I'll see on first use.

fichy

Reaction score
You'll learn how much the tip of your rod will bend to act as a shock absorber to prevent your tippet breaking. The feel of that bend will tell you to let line slip through your fingers if you are playing the fish by hand, or to release the handle and let the fish run against the tension of the drag. The feel is something you need to learn. It doesn't hurt to rig up your rod, tie on some tippet and then tie it to a weight of several pounds. Start with a loose drag and about 20' of line and leader out , but not completely loose , or the reel can over spool resulting in a bird's nest. Pull on the weight and see at what point the drag lets line out. Increase it until there's a good bend in the rod, but you aren't in danger of breaking it. Walk backwards letting line out against the drag. Place your fingers across the bottom of the spool and add more tension. Get use to what that feels like. You can change tippet sizes and see at what point they break- just don't go heavy or you may put too much stress on the rod. Remember to be s-m-o-o-t-h when you fight a fish, abrupt reactions are what break things and lose fish. Fighting a fish with a flyrod is far more by feel than other more mechanical methods of fishing. That feel truly sets it apart.

Charlie

bear 007

Reaction score
I put everything on my reel, I know most people will disagree but I made myself get into this habit. Its just second nature now, I don't have to think about layering the reel and my line is cleared out of the way with no snags, it's much easier for me to manage. When you do hook that big one you are ready!:)

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I guess I'm confused again :(

You say to get the fish on the reel because the reel's drag is better than I am. But I can't see how my drag will come into play unless I actually let go of the handle and palm the spool. Or is that what you are talking about?
Yes you need to take your hand off the handle. As I said, when you are using a spinning rod, you know when to stop reeling because the drag will allow line to go out. If you don't stop reeling with a spinning rod you twist the heck out of the line. If you don't get your hand off the reel handle on a fly rod 1 of 2 things will happen, 1 you bust off the fish or 2, the fish removes your hand from the handle and it whacks you on the knuckles. And I don't know where you heard the palming thing, but as a beginner, I would just set the drag right and when a fish burns one on you, get your hand clear off the reel and let the drag do it's job.

OK, here is a video where you can see two things. How to get your hand off the reel when a big fish runs on you, and getting a bigger fish on lighter line.

I was trying to bust the 8 lb tippet Walleye record, but there were a lot of big Pike in the area. So what I did was rig a leader with a 30 lb. mono bite tippet but and 8 lb test tippet so the big Pike wouldn't bite me off. I fight it and land it. Watch what I do when the fish runs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJXq7Uc0lTY]Spey Rod for big Pike - YouTube[/ame]