New here... Need some help!

bpeterson

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum here. A little bit about me.... My name is Blake Peterson and I'm 18 years old. There is nothing I'd rather do than hunt and fish and don't like being inside so I'm in the outdoors a lot! I was introduced to deer hunting and red fishing when I was young by my father and took on archery and waterfowling over the years.
I've been red fishing since I was little along with speckled trout, largemouth bass, and sacalait

I became interested in fly fishing last year and purchased a cheap rod and reel combo from bass pro with absolutely no knowledge on the matter.

On to my question... I am looking to purchase a new rod and reel and am in need of some advice.
What line weight and rod length would be best for largemouth bass, redfish, and speckled trout? If there is nothing for all three, bass is the most important since that's what I'm after 80% of the time.
Also, any reel, line, etc. recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

brucerducer

Reaction score
Welcome B. Peterson

#6 weight is about midrange for everything from Bass to Trout.

9' is generally a good length.

nick k

Reaction score
My main bass rod is also a 6wt and I find it perfect. Something to think about though will be the redfish. I don't have any personal experience with them, but from what I've seen in pictures, those bad boys get pretty big, and like to hang out in heavy vegetation. You may want a heavier rod specifically for the reds, but the speckled trout will warrant a smaller rod than your 6.

Basically, I think the 6wt would be a good compromise for bass and speckled trout, but reds might throw a wrench in the plan.

Can anyone with redfish experience lend a hand here?

williamhj

Reaction score
Welcome! For the bass I'd say 7 or 8wt. Nice for throwing big bugs and fishing big fish :) I really can't speak to the other species but I'm sure others will keep chiming in. You can always get something smaller for your next rod. You know there's going to be another one :) I don't think you need to spend much to get a good, useable rod.

fichy

Reaction score
A 9' 8 wt. is pretty standard on the Gulf for reds, specks, and flounder. If you fish bass in cypress roots and pads- it'll work there , too. WF/F line is probably the best all-around if you aren't fishing deep water. An 8 will easily chuck poppers and worm flies for bass- pretty standard for southern largemouth. Too heavy for the sacalait, though. Good luck!

Charlie

nick k

Reaction score
I think your best bet may be an 8wt for larger bass and reds, and a 4wt for trout, crappie, and small bass.

bpeterson

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone! We have some good sized bass around...

I'm thinking about an 8 weight for bass and reds. We don't go after trout much but when we do I'll just use what I currently have.

Gonna have to do some research on rods, reels, line, etc. now!

nick k

Reaction score
Damn those are some chunky monkeys. Don't think you'll have any problems bending an 8wt with one of those on the line.

nick k

Reaction score
Allen Fly Fishing (Allen Fly Fishing) is a forum sponsor and I can tell you that they have the best customer service you will find of any company in any industry.

Their products are also top quality for a price that makes their competitors look like billionaire thieves.

I buy everything I can from Allen after experiencing their gear and service first hand. Take a look at their gear.

random user

Reaction score
Don't go over the top with your first (or second) fly rod. There are a lot of other expenses involved with getting started: waders, boots, line leaders et al ad nausium.

There are a lot of decent to good quality rods out there of under $200. A good line, excellent form and a decent rod will catch you more fish than a million dollar rod the wrong line and casting "S"'s.

Try to find someone locally, even hit up a local guide service. Most people are willing the share what they know for the most part, sans a few secrets they take to the grave.

Learn to tie you own leaders. It's not hard, and the practice with blood knots will come in handy. Just learning you will go through leaders almost as fast as you loose flies. A $60 Maxima leader kit is good for a whole lot of leaders and suddenly becomes very inexpensive when you start adding up all those $4-$6
you end up picking up a little too regularly.

nick k

Reaction score
I think leaders aren't as important for some species as others. If you are going for reds and bass mostly, a simple untapered piece of mono will do. For bass, I use 20lb mono for leader and 12lb for tippet. No need to deal with furled, tapered, or complex leaders. If you are going for trout a lot, then leaders become more important. I would stay away from concentrating on leaders to much until you know what difference they really make.

theboz

Reaction score
Blake those are some gorgeous largemouths! Welcome to the addiction. Since you like fishing Redfish as well as big Bass consider getting a 9wt as an all around rod. TFO BVK is an ideal rod for both species and a pleasure to fish with. If you add a Cabelas RLS reel and an SA line you can have a good rig in the $300 range. I love to see young guys getting into fly fishing so o wish you the best. I just returned from a trip with my son and we used our 9wts for Redfish and small Tarpon in the salt and Largemouths and Peacock Bass in the canals and they worked great! Keep us posted on your progress.

bpeterson

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys! I'm looking at the Alpha III and the XA 8wt rod. Looking at fly lines now. Any thing I should know before purchasing backing? Are there any I should look for?

bpeterson

Reaction score
I think Albright should be included in the discussion. I would never buy their gear at regular price but during their 80% off sales, they are a real value.

:: Albright Fly Fish | Fly Rods | Fly Reels | Spin and Casting Rods | Reels | Rods
Is there a reason they are so cheap?

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

And does anyone have some info on Albright rods?
I really like the looks of them and there website makes them out to be great... But I can't seem to find much info on them.
I took a look at their Facebook page and it seems like they are 80% off every other month. Are these marked up extremely and discounted to what they should be?
If these really are how they are made up to be I'll be getting one, I've just never seen a company offer 80% off their products so often which kind of concerns me

itchmesir

Reaction score
I have recently been able to cast my Albright GPX 7/8 9'6" rod... I was not going into this situation with high hopes... I had been regretting the decision to buy it ever since I had gotten it... For numerous reasons... In the end though... I am not displeased with this rod... would I pay their "msrp"?... NEVER... Their sale price is about where their quality lies(is as good if not better than other rods in the sub $100 range)... The rod did not feel overly heavy when matched with an Okuma Integrity 7/8 and the Rio Mainstream 24' 300gr Sink Tip cast very well on this rod... I also felt a 9'6" rod would feel a lot longer and I barely noticed the difference

bpeterson

Reaction score
I ended up purchasing an Allen Alpha III and an Allen 8wt XA rod last night. I did some research on the Albright rods and didn't really like much if what I read. While they might be good rods for the sale price, I don't like how they are trying to fool people with their crazy "msrp's"