Guide job

desertfly83

Reaction score
Looking for a first year guide job I'm atteneding the sweet water guide school at the beginning of July but in the mean time I'd like to find a job that I can start right after school I have a résumé ready to go any help or ideas on this would be great

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I'm going to quote myself from another thread.

I never worked as a guide, but I worked in the fly fishing industry for six years.

There are two types of guides. One is an independent operator. The other works for a licensed outfitter. The independent operator has a business license, insurance bond, and guiding license. He is responsible for all of his overhead. The employee type is hired by a licensed outfitter. The outfitter takes care of the business overhead. In some states, the employee type guide will have to obtain a special guiding license to work for outfitters.

The shop that I worked at was not an outfitter. It contracted licensed guides.

One thing that I learned from the independent guides is that they have to know how to run their own businesses. You don't necessarily need a degree, but a few basic business classes under your belt will help. I have seen a few guides fail because of poor basic business practices like record keeping.

There are guide schools available. I have had mixed reviews on them.

Here's a reality check. Don't plan on getting rich in the industry. Guiding is more of a labor of love. Most successful guides who I know work part time in the industry and have full time paying jobs.

Dennis
The decision that you need to make is whether you want to be an employee or an independent contractor.

Any other advice? Contact all the fly fishing shops and outfitters in the region.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
If you want to start guiding now as an independent operator, you can get your licenses and insurance bond anytime.

If you want to start working for an outfitter in July, you may want to start networking now.

Dennis

dhayden

Reaction score
You might check which state(s) you're interested in too.. see what it takes to get a guide license if that state requires one

desertfly83

Reaction score
Thanks guys @ Dave I'd like to go to Montana I've got résumé's sent out I'm just Waiting to get a response

coloradocaddis970

Reaction score
Desert,

I work for a fly fishing company here in Colorado. Were always looking for a new guide to put onto the roster. PM me if you would like more information!

Dallas

codypom

Reaction score
While I have never been a guide, I have a very successful business teaching private guitar lessons. It took about a year to get the number of clients I wanted. I have to say that word of mouth has been my biggest asset in terms of recruitment. Get the word out there as much as you can. Use the internet: get a web page, use social media.

Also, scope out what other independent guides are doing to promote themselves and what they offer in terms of services and prices. If you do pay to advertise, make sure your $ will target the exact audience you want. Don't forget to make connections with other guides. Maybe there is someone in your area that is too busy, if you have a good relationship then they might send you some of the clients they don't have time for.

Create your own success and let your potential customers know about it. Get a few clients, give them a great trip and have them give you testimonials. Use those testimonials to help you get more clients. Best of luck to you!

lostinmt

Reaction score
Becoming an Independent in Montana takes a truck and boat, client rods and reels along with a stack of flies and knowing the water.

I would suggest looking for a lodge or guest ranch type job to get started. Then move on from there. They have the equipment, and will help you get some days under your belt. Stash your tips and then buy a boat when you can. It takes a bit to get set up, but once you do its fun for awhile.

ontheflyguide

Reaction score
If you have all of your own gear it just makes sense to go out on your own. The hardest part is picking up clients, but with some leg work, and a humble attitude, its amazing how people will share. Hit up some shops, call some guides and ask to take their overflow (giving them a finders fee of course) Just My 2 Cents...Nate Bailey