Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  47
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenkara Forum?

Default Re: Tenkara Forum?

Quote Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post

And then there are the Tenkara nets... Them things are so silly looking... Looks more like something one would chase butterflies with...
    I have to admit, the net is quite puzzling.

"Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

2. Default Re: Tenkara Forum?

Quote Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
    Jackster makes a pretty good point here though regarding marketing... "dappling" is the ancient (North American) art of tying a leader directly to a cane pole and fishing a fly on mountain streams. Not sexy enough though to generate any marketable interest, but "Tenkara"... now there's a word that you can hitch a wagon to.

Nymphing is very similar. Always had a bit of a black mark amongst the purists... but repackage the exact same technique and call it Czech Style Nymphing... well now, NOW you've got mythical Polish trout slaying stories, DVD's, classes, etc.

Marketing.

I can see with the DVD's and Classes why you call it marketing. I see both Tenkara AND Czech Nymphing as two styles that have been around for ever and FINALLY brought to the USA. So I see it more as new knowledge.
    I have two friends that fish the USA team. Their instructor was Czech, so they were taught this style of fishing very heavy nymphs. They brought the knowledge back to the US and wanted to share it.
    Anyway you color it, it is Fly Fishing and more and more people are sharing this new found style. Nothing wrong with sharing what we find.

3. Likes williamhj, fyshstykr, yonder, shimloom liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    I can see with the DVD's and Classes why you call it marketing. I see both Tenkara AND Czech Nymphing as two styles that have been around for ever and FINALLY brought to the USA. So I see it more as new knowledge.
    I have two friends that fish the USA team. Their instructor was Czech, so they were taught this style of fishing very heavy nymphs. They brought the knowledge back to the US and wanted to share it.
    Anyway you color it, it is Fly Fishing and more and more people are sharing this new found style. Nothing wrong with sharing what we find.
    Joni, Joni, Joni... first renamed telescoping fishing poles and now dredging trot lines through runs? Where have we gone wrong?

Well put Joni.

Stenacron, I believe dappling gets the fly to the fish using the wind to carry the line. This can be done with a tenkara rod, or a stick with a line, but I've also done it with my 9' 5wt and a light dry or nymph and that didn't suddenly mean my fly rod was defined as a dappling rod. As with a fly rod, a tenkara rod is cast, I was surprised how similar the cast was.

Bringing up marketing and net styles and questioning the value of tenkara is beside the point of the thread. There are aesthetics in regular fly fishing that I find rather goofy but don't care if others invest in them (I don't have a tenkara net anyway) and there's plenty of marketing in fly fishing. I think the real question is whether or not tenkara can be considered a form of fly fishing. Threads I've seen that try to define fly fishing tend not to come to a solid conclusion on the matter. This description of a clinic through the international federation of fly fishers defines it as a 'traditional Japanese fly fishing method' and stating that you don't see a difference between it and high stick nymphing both indicate that it can be categorized as fly fishing and imply that it's not outside the scope of this forum.

I would enjoy having a place here to talk about it with others. I do go to tenkara focused forums, but I like this forum and see my tenkara rod as one of my fly rods. My concern is that every thread will be hijacked with negative comments and challenges unrelated to the thread topic. I don't care that much when people want to discuss something on here that I'm not interested in and don't know where the hostility and negativity comes from when tenkara is mentioned.
    - William

6. Likes shimloom, yonder liked this post

When I was 7-10 years old, my mother used to buy rods that were made of bamboo sections. When fitted together, they were fairly long. The kit included a line that attached to a wire loop at the tip top, and there were hooks and a couple of bobbers. I think the whole kit cost around $1.99. When I see Tenkara, I'm reminded of those bamboo rod kits, but also reminded of my parents not knowing which end of a fishing rod to hold. At least they were bamboo. Friends don't let friends fish with telescoping poles.

*The last sentence was a joke, and not intended to harm anyone's feeling toward primitive methods of catching fish.

8. Likes theboz liked this post

All I want to know is if I use my old Lew Childress bamboo pole with no guides or reel and attach a line and fly am I Tenkara fishing or do I have to spend the money on an "official" Tenkara rod? This would answer my question as to whether it's Tenkara or just cane pole fishing! Just curious but definitely not serious!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

10. Likes FrankB2 liked this post

It's safe to say
    - William

12. Default Re: Tenkara Forum?

I saw the video of Joan casting a Tenkara. If I remember it right, she loved it. Again, add a worm or bait, it is bait fishing add fly line and a fly isn't that fly fishing...where do guides HAVE to be present. Hi sticking has guides, but you don't need them.
    What about Mooching? Looks like fly fishing right down to the guides, but is it?
    Seriously. You buy that 7 piece rod so you can back pack a foot long, BUT this one folds into it's self and it is taboo.....why?
    I build furled leaders, I like that there is a forum for that, I ride Bikes, go camping, glad there is a site for that. Something that you can share common interests, that is all. You don't like it, don't read it, pretty simple. I like the idea, now I am done.

The bottom line here is that tenkara has a slew of forums already that should satify the needs of those who wish to fish that way or learn to fish that way.
    This is not just a good forum but a great forum just the way it is. Do we need more controversy? Doesn't discussing Abel nippers and Sag cosmetics already push the envelope of civility here?
    Let's say Tenkara is as close to fly fishing as using a casting bubble to throw a fly with spinning gear. Is that next? They're both 'fly fishing' in the broadest sense of the term. It's simple really, any form of fishing that has to force themselves upon an otherwise dedicated community is just bound to cause trouble.
    They have their own entire forums with nary a word in the topic titles about fly fishing so how close is the connection really?
    I just wonder about their motives for inundating boards like this and if adding outliers like casting bubbles and tenkara is in this and other fly fishing boards best interest.

14. Likes theboz liked this post

Although I have never fished using the Tenkara method, I find it very interesting and can see how it would deserve a forum here. It's a method that's been used for a few hundred years in Japan and just getting a good foothold here. I think it'll be around for a while because there are certainly places where the techniques employed are advantageous over other methods.

Have you seen all the useless 'dead' forums we have on the main page?
    Why can't we get rid of a few of those and give a Tenkara Forum a chance? It just might bring in some new blood to the forum....Isn't that what the forum is about after all? Sharing new methods and idea's....

Just my .02

16. Likes williamhj, yonder, haulingmario liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast