Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Advice: High & Muddy Waters

Heading out for my first fishing of the year. Any advice on fishing high/dirty waters this time of year?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Advice: High & Muddy Waters

Fish the edges.

Fish behind rocks.

Use flies with UV flash.

I'm sure others can chimb in.

Dennis

3. Likes yonder liked this post

Good time to probe with a black Wooly Bugger. May need to add a few BB's to get it down.
    "Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

5. Likes jaybo41, yonder liked this post
    Blog Entries

You covered most of my thoughts Dennis

Flies with a large profile and dark colors are a good way to go. I wouldn't leave home without some black buggers or leeches.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

7. Likes bigjim5589 liked this post
    Blog Entries

+1 what the others said....+ fish shallow waters near the banks when the water gets a bit clearer with black nymphs or even black dries

Blog Entries

The others have all given good advice. Besides black for a color, I also like Chartreuse (sp?) for visibility in off colored water and out here in the Rockies stoneflies are a good choice as well as San Juan worms. Good luck and be safe.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    Fish the edges.

Fish behind rocks.

Use flies with UV flash.

I'm sure others can chimb in.

Dennis
    I'm not sure what you mean by "Behind rocks" but if you mean directly behind them that is probably one of the last places a trout will be... right behind a rock is where very turbulent water lies... you can see it during clear water... sand and rocks tumbling behind the rock... this makes a trout have to spend a lot of energy for little reward... you best bet is to look for a rock... and then look down stream to the next rock... likely the trout will be holding in front of a rock downstream from a rock that is splitting the current...

Depending on how high the water is... look for pockets of flooded grass... along the edges... where the water is slower... also the trout stay rather shallow in high muddy water as lower down in the column the water just gets more turbulent... don't be afraid to get right up to that pocket of slow water and high stick your nymph through the pocket for optimal success...

Big flashy flies with tungsten heads will also be your best bet... leave the small stuff at home

I'm in agreement with what the others have said. When I fish high, muddy water, which isn't often, I prefer lures over flies. ( Bass or Striped Bass) There are others who prefer dark colors, and some as Mcnerney has said, that prefer bright colors. Both can be productive, because they're easy to see at short range in muddy water.

Generally, you want something that pushes a lot of water, provides a great deal of vibration, makes a good amount of noise, and has a big profile. All of these help the fish find your offering.

My preference for flies is for black & big, and when possible something that includes rattles, or other materials that may add some noise.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

12. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by "Behind rocks" but if you mean directly behind them that is probably one of the last places a trout will be.
    HUH?
    "Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
    HUH?
    Have you ever looked at the water right behind a rock? It's turbulent.. That's why you'll find holes behind them... from heavy current digging into the sediment behind it... Not trout friendly... and the food goes right around the rock... as the current pushes to the right or left of the rock... a trout will not be directly behind a rock... but rather off to one side or the other of that rock... usually at a distance from that rock... not directly behind it

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

Here you can check this video... start at 6:00... Tom explains it better than I can

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9hg0DoSdt0]How to Read Trout Streams for better Fly Fishing with Orvis' Tom Rosenbauer Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast