First Trip For My Son and I

len s

Reaction score
After starting this great adventure,(addiction, disease, syndrome)called fly fishing at my sons request last year we finally got to go trout fishing. My son and I went to the Driftless area of SW Wisconsin. Another member here, Len Harris recommended the Driftless Angler flys hop in Viroqua for a guide, so to prove wisdom sometimes comes with age, I called and hired a guide. I have never done so before, I always do it myself when conventional fishing, but there is a world of difference between reading a map and looking at your graph on the boat and trying to read trout streams, casting, and fly selection. So our guide was Pete Cozad who has fished everywhere. Well Pete is also an exceptional teacher and at my request at the time of booking he spent the most time with my son. I missed a couple right at the beginning on a dry, then after we moved my son got a couple on nymphs . While the numbers are not impressive the experience and education was. The next day on our own w managed to dig a brown out of a deep hole with a Turkey Leech that I tied. Can't wait to get back. Oh and talk about spoiled or lucky,my son was guided to his first trout by a guy who fished all over the world but also had the moment captured by a professional photographer. Before Pete became a full time guide he was a professional photographer. When Pete left me to my own devices, (tangles, tree and rock fish and the like) I gave him my camera and asked him to take a picture if my son caught a fish. When I figure out this whole get the pics off the camera and find them on the computer I will post a couple of pics.

Len

williamhj

Reaction score
Sounds like a great day. Thanks for posting the story. I particularly like how you focused on your son's experience and am glad that you both caught some fish.

len s

Reaction score
Re: First Trip For My Son and I updated with Pics

Here are some pics from the trip

Listening to the guide

First trout on a fly rod. Pic by guide

The following day on our own

A little Brown fell to a Turkey Leech

theboz

Reaction score
Looks like a great trip! Doing it with your son and giving him the edge ONLY WAY TO GO! You will only realize your good move as he gets older. Congrats and many more father son trips to come!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Len: Congrats on a great outting and getting a first trout for your son, that will be a memorable trip that will last forever.

alpobodog

Reaction score
I understand completely. I stumbled into fly fishing summer of 2011 when i hired a guide for a float trip in Colorado for my 11year old son and myself. Summer of 2012 we made 4 trips to the San Juan, had a great time. We are both completely into it. I am out about 10 grand on gear, just bought a new Clackacraft and close to 2 grand on rods, reels waders ect. it is almost an obsession for both of us. Summer of 2013 and we are off to Montana for 2 weeks plus time back on the Juan.