A fishing weekend with the lady

1move

Reaction score
On Wednesday it was the wife’s birthday, we both love fishing and last year we got into fly fishing. We absolutely love it and it is something that we will enjoy for a long time. For the birthday I got her a custom made net called the "The Purple Heart". She loved it and wanted to go fishing on the long weekend. We headed out early on Friday to a place south of us in the Rocky Mountains and spent the whole day wading and fishing. We did not get lucky and did not catch a fish but it was a blast just spending time together and having fun. We drove back and she fell asleep as I got lost in my thoughts and got pulled over for speeding :eek: Well it sucked got a nice fine and went on my way, put the car into cruise control for the speed limit and lost myself again in the day that we just had and as I was coming down a huge hill another police officer. Ended up getting another fine as I was "speeding" go figure with my luck. Even though all this happened I did not let it ruin the day we had together and I was as happy as can be.

Next morning we got up a bit late and I asked what her plans were for the day as her family was coming from out of town late in the evening and she said lets go fishing! :eek::wavetowel I was packed ready to go in 15 minutes and we headed off for another round in the same area. The drive was a lot longer as now I paid attention to the speed and didn’t drift off in my thoughts and made sure we didn’t go faster than the post speed. (Learned my lesson on that one) Got to the river and started fishing as the family was supposed to come at about 9pm. We did not take our cellphones with us and didn’t have any way to tell time other than the sun. Again we did not catch any fish we learned a lot figured out what was hatching and used those flies. Walked along the higher banks to spot fish but saw nothing! Fished a few pockets of deep water and still nothing. We had a ton of fun and just wanted to keep going! When we got back to the car and checked the time it was about 7:30pm and we are about 2 hours out still with the drive back.

All in all we tested our equipment and learned a few new things and I am happy with that. The fish will come but we just need to work more on our technique. We tested our new sunglasses and boy what a difference they make. I have a pair of Costa Del Mar's 580 Glass and they are amazing and if you are on the fence to buy these, go for it as you will not be disappointed. I am very happy that we got out there even on colder days and just connected with nature. We saw three people on the river in those two days and it was a very peaceful and fun filled weekend.

1move

Reaction score
Yeah it was a ton of fun, we hit the river today as well for a few hours after work, as it was +22 degrees C

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You two deserved to have a good day after all of that. it's much better to have a mate that likes fishing than one that would not!

Good for you both,

Ard

1move

Reaction score
Ard and Dan thanks for the response.

Dan the net does use a little bit of the purpleheart wood in the hoop and also uses curly maple. It does look like it is a different color in the photos. Maybe due to flash? I think there are about 4-5 different woods used overall. It is a very nice net and its all hand made. I think it was the most thoughtful gift I could come up with.

rasputinj

Reaction score
Ard and Dan thanks for the response.

Dan the net does use a little bit of the purpleheart wood in the hoop and also uses curly maple. It does look like it is a different color in the photos. Maybe due to flash? I think there are about 4-5 different woods used overall. It is a very nice net and its all hand made. I think it was the most thoughtful gift I could come up with.
Did you get the Purple Heart net from Greg at Sierra Nets? He had a beautiful net he called Purple Heart for sale. He just built me a net recently, his stuff is beautiful and well built.

1move

Reaction score
Did you get the Purple Heart net from Greg at Sierra Nets? He had a beautiful net he called Purple Heart for sale. He just built me a net recently, his stuff is beautiful and well built.
Yes sir I sure did. Thanks to your post http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/314041-breaking-new-net.html I found him and ended up buying from him! What a great guy and the service was phenomenal! He shipped it to Canada for me and it came up here overnight :surprise: Stuff never comes in Overnight and the cost to ship it was only $35! I was amazed, and honestly the service was awesome I did not mind spending the money at all and will be buying another one for myself from Greg.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
1move: Congrats on a couple really nice days on the water even though the fishing was SLOW! I loved that net you bought your wife, what a great present!

Larry

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Dan the net does use a little bit of the purpleheart wood in the hoop and also uses curly maple. It does look like it is a different color in the photos. Maybe due to flash?
Yah, I don't know why it is so hard to get true colors to come out in a photo. I have to mnkey with the editor just to get close. That's a beautiful net. If she appreciates it as much as I like it you scored big points with it. :thumbup:

JP, I am not sure what it is. I googled purple heart to get a photo, and it was in the species index of a hardwoods site. It looks like the back side of a strumstick or dulcimer type instrument. If you look at the big end it's off the table about as far as a bridge would hold it up. Just guessing.

rasputinj

Reaction score
Yes sir I sure did. Thanks to your post http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/314041-breaking-new-net.html I found him and ended up buying from him! What a great guy and the service was phenomenal! He shipped it to Canada for me and it came up here overnight :surprise: Stuff never comes in Overnight and the cost to ship it was only $35! I was amazed, and honestly the service was awesome I did not mind spending the money at all and will be buying another one for myself from Greg.
Your Purple Heart net is beautiful, I looked at it for months before I ordered my net. His work is amazing, I am trying to get out to fish with him.

Nice that you and your lady got out on the water.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
JP, I am not sure what it is. I googled purple heart to get a photo, and it was in the species index of a hardwoods site. It looks like the back side of a strumstick or dulcimer type instrument. If you look at the big end it's off the table about as far as a bridge would hold it up. Just guessing
....?That's....weird:Daccording to the shape... guessed it was a coffin for....batman:faint::D

cowger10

Reaction score
Sounds like a great day even though the fishing was slow. I am still trying to get my wife on the water, I think that she would love it.

1move

Reaction score
Your Purple Heart net is beautiful, I looked at it for months before I ordered my net. His work is amazing, I am trying to get out to fish with him.

Nice that you and your lady got out on the water.
Thank you, he does amazing work. Eventually I will have to make a trip down to your guys' neck of the woods and maybe we can all head out fishing.

Sounds like a great day even though the fishing was slow. I am still trying to get my wife on the water, I think that she would love it.
It is a lot of fun and a lot easier to spend money on fly fishing gear without explanation :)

Here is a photo of us towards the end of that day.