New Rod

cjl22

Reaction score
Hey, I've been fly fishing for a couple of years now and unfortunately the starter rod, reel combo kit I have been using just recently broke, the tip snapped off and it is cheaper to buy then repair. Now I'm in the market for a new rod, and I was looking for suggestions. I'm a college kid so the Sage and the Helios rods are far out of my price range, so I'm wondering what are some good rods at a reasonable price.

mikel

Reaction score
where do you fish
what do you fish for
what size flies do you toss
what wt rod did you have
how much money do you have for rod/reel/line
can you spell echo, redington and tfo?

cjl22

Reaction score
Usually I do a bunch of little stream fishing, tossing out size 8's at the biggest but usually 12-20 is my range. I fish mostly in PA when I'm home and central mass when at school. I was looking for something in the 4 wt. and i was looking to keep this whole thing under $200

ditz

Reaction score
Take a look at the Cabelas rods and the TFO signature series. If the streams have a canopy of trees you should also consider a short rod. I use a 6' 2wt TFO rod in the small streams I fish.

mikel

Reaction score
Usually I do a bunch of little stream fishing, tossing out size 8's at the biggest but usually 12-20 is my range. I fish mostly in PA when I'm home and central mass when at school. I was looking for something in the 4 wt. and i was looking to keep this whole thing under $200
do you think you want a standard 9 footer, or something shorter for the streams you frequent?

dpreller

Reaction score
sounds like the 71/2 foot four weight imperial would be right up hour alley, atleast worth a look.

noreaster

Reaction score
sounds like the 71/2 foot four weight imperial would be right up hour alley, atleast worth a look.
I have that exact length and weight. Love it. Got Dad the 8'6" 5 wt. for Christmas. Look forward to getting him out for his impressions and seeing how the larger longer model performs.

The Allen deal wouldn't be bad either. I have the 6'6" Allen Myth. Just cast it in the backyard. It did really well getting the line out with some double hauling. Cast as if a longer rod.

itchmesir

Reaction score
If you can't find a close out Redington CT.. I'd spring for the Imperial like others have mentioned... such an amazing rod...

May even wanna consider the 8'6" 3wt CT... I can cast double nymph rigs... #6 streamers wrapped with .030 lead... such a great rod... casts effortlessly