Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Leader Straightener

Im new to fly fishing and wanted to know if there is anyway to keep my leader strait without having to buy a leader straightener. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Leader Straightener

Grasp it between your hands and stretch it. I routinely do mine prior to hitting the water. Same for the line. Pull it and you'll feel the stretch, doing the butt and mid section first and then the tippet with a more gentle pull. My line I do in about five foot sections. Nothing worse than a line or leader with a kink or two.
    http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24405&dateline=129884  8088
    Great Fishing
    Der Alt Jaeger
    Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
    Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

3. Likes mcnerney, kglissmeyer1 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Have a look here....two ways to keep your leader staight
    http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...s-share-8.html

Another trick is to string your rod up a bit before use. Tighten the reel a bit and let it sit--that gives you a straight nine ft leader and nine feet of fly line tip at any rate. I used to carry a device made of two leather pads faced with rubber but found just stretching does the trick.
    http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24405&dateline=129884  8088
    Great Fishing
    Der Alt Jaeger
    Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
    Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

Thanks for all of the suggestions. They definitely help.

Here's a lot more reading on this...

Straightening Leaders

Straightening Leaders

Blog Entries

The post's before me all had great suggestions. I have not used a standard Tapered leader in my last 15 years of fishing. I only use Furled leaders for that exact reason. As with many things in life, furled leaders are not for everyone, but for a high percentage of fly fishers that try them, they will use nothing else. If you have any specific questions, please do not hesitate to email me directly at the address below. I check that one much more often the my Private messages.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
    Grasp it between your hands and stretch it. I routinely do mine prior to hitting the water. Same for the line. Pull it and you'll feel the stretch, doing the butt and mid section first and then the tippet with a more gentle pull. My line I do in about five foot sections. Nothing worse than a line or leader with a kink or two.
    DITTO here. Just like tippet knots and leader knots fail because of being pulled too fast without moisture to lube them, leaders can burn and become weak due to the same problem - friction, that is if you use a leader straightener to try to get the kink out. Too often good leaders are pulled hard and fast through some sort of leader straightener and the result is a leader that has been burned by friction and weakened as a result.

Grasp the ends and stretch. Gary Borger taught me years ago to hold that stretch for a count of 10 and then move to the next section - I've been doing it that way ever since.

Kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

Hook into a ten pound brown... just kidding. Those rubbery braclet things are pretty good line straighteners.

Just pull and stretch it or use one of cutthroat leaders furled leaders. I was using a regular leader the last time out and thought I like my furled leaders better.
    Okiemountaineer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast