I saw this on a blog I follow. I PROMISE IT'S WORTH YOUR TIME!!

rockriv

Reaction score
I saw this video on a fly fishing blog that I follow. Its incredible a man at the age of 90 still has such a dream! Click the link and watch the video (takes about 3 mins)...its well worth your time, not only as a fly fisherman, but an American. Help out if you can!

[ame="http://vimeo.com/56064055"]Frank Moore: Mending the Line on Vimeo[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackster

Reaction score
Truly one of The Greatest Generation.
Thanks a whole lot for sharing this.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you see the way that back cast straitened out behind him? Like a pool cue, just the right hesitation then the forward cast. That's how I was taught, old Frank is a real good caster!

My father Tom Stetts was landed on those same beaches also. He fought all the way to the Ardennes Counter Offensive which would come to be known as The Battle of The Bulge. His entire division was decimated by the German armor and infantry as they cut through the American troops.

He and other survivors were absorbed into General G.S. Patton's Third Army as Patton came to the rescue and in my fathers opinion 'To Save The War'. He served with the Third all the way to Berlin and until his death at age 48 of Hodgkin's disease that man would have fought another war for General Patton.

I had just turned thirteen when he died. I look at a fellow Franks age with his history I couldn't help but to think of Tom, Dad. He was so big and strong, it was hard to believe that he died. It took years to accept it.

Thanks for the video, I may send Frank a few quid toward the trip.

Ard

wjc

Reaction score
That was a really well done video. But my hearing isn't that good. I listened to the first two sentences about 5 times and still have no idea what he said. Was he speaking English?

theboz

Reaction score
Frank is a caster! That was great! My Dad served in 43rd at Guadacanal and when he was wounded he spent a year and a half recovering in New Zealand.
His dream was to go back to New Zealand some day and fish the rivers where he had seen the Mauri people feed the big rainbow trout bread and catch one himself. Unfortunately he never lived to see his dream but to honor him I think I'll send Frank a few so he can see his rivers. These men laid it on the line for us and it's a worthy thing to support!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
That was a really well done video. But my hearing isn't that good. I listened to the first two sentences about 5 times and still have no idea what he said. Was he speaking English?
It was English, but like you I am having trouble with my hearing. I am going to try and listen when there is less noise in the morning and see if I can get it. Tried twice tonight and did not understand it either.

The guy is a great caster and in amazing shape for 90.

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

My Dad served in 43rd at Guadacanal and when he was wounded he spent a year and a half recovering in New Zealand.
Mine was in the Marines in the South Pacific. There was an awful lot of those guys that didn't make it back. We should do what we can for the ones that did and remember the ones that didn't.

rockriv

Reaction score
Frank must have been asked a question prior to the cameras starting. His first comment is "Why have I been so blessed?" his second comment is "And so honored too...by the way" his third comment is "Because I really have been."

Glad I could share this with everyone!

nick k

Reaction score
Beautiful video. I just posted this to the Ultralight Fly Fishing Forum as well. I hope you don't mind. I think this one should be seen by everyone, not just fly fishermen.

rockriv

Reaction score
thanks Nick K!! I posted it on a couple other fishing/outdoors forums as well!! Trying to spread the word as much as I can about this dream of his!

itchmesir

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this... My grandpa too was a WWII vet... Without him in my life.. I may have never learned the joys of fishing... Or be the cook that I am today...

wjc

Reaction score
Thanks Rock,

I appreciate it and thought it was something like that as soon as the clip changed.

Most who have been in the roar and lost friends inside, you would never even know about, nor know the human capacity for absoulte selflessness displayed by so many. That is what he was thinking about. For the bessed or the lucky, the "why" is only a step behind.