Bless me Father, for I have sinned

busbus

Reaction score
I am so embarrassed...I think. :eek:

I have been having some horrific days at work as we are implementing software at work and just NEEDED to go fishing. Like I have said in the past, the only places near my house to fish are some overfished lakes and a couple streams that have mostly some wayward bass and panfish.

It was windy as heck, so I........broke out my spinning gear!! :eek::eek::eek:

I just had to. I am not a good enough caster to fight the wind that was there today and I had to, HAD TO, get some fishing therapy in; otherwise, I was going to have to go to the funny farm.

What kind of penitence do I have to perform??

I am really, really sorry and repentant...I admit, I DID have a good time. I DID catch a nice, little smallmouth. I DID it...and I might do it again. It's a curse, a CURSE, I tell you.

Do I need to be stopped? Will it cause me to backslide? What do I do if I get the urge again??

Oh, and it was also nice to pull out a nice cigar at the same time. Had a heck of a time lighting it but I finally did and life was sweet, SWEET, for about 90 minutes. Didn't think about work until my phone buzzed and told me I had to get ready for another awful meeting at 9:00 PM.

I hope this doesn't cause me to get kicked out of here...I really am sorry guys...but at least I did fess up.

ray

Eddie O'Neill

Reaction score
Ok, so you did admit the sin, so good for you:) The last time I used a spinning rod was "a long time ago":D

Think of it as a release from the perfection of true fishing:D:D

No go pay the penance, one large Whisky, dash of cold water, no ice.:rolleyes:

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
Reaches back and tosses huge stone at the sinner !

(I use spinning gear to catfish with...so I just cast a stone while having my own sins LOL)

Pard,,any kinda fun outdoors is better than no fun outdoors.

Go, and sin ,,little as you can , OK ? :)

shotgunfly

Reaction score
The first step to fixing a problem is recognizing you have a problem. ;)

You came forward. You have been counted.

White board it.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Ok, so you did admit the sin, so good for you:) Whisky, dash of cold water, no ice.:rolleyes:
Dont be so cruel! Have a heart! ;)

Drink it neat.

kingofamberley

Reaction score
I'm not trying to start an argument but I am not above using spinning gear. When you are a warm water angler sometimes you do what you gotta do. Lefty Kreh will back that up. I think what a lot of fly guys don't realize is the amount of skill it takes to really fish with spin gear. Anyone can fish bait, or reel in a crank or spinner, but that is only a small sliver of spin fishing, and if that is all you do then you are selling yourself short and missing a lot of fish. Like fly fishing, presentation is very important with things like jigs, "walk the dog" style topwaters, jerk baits, and soft plastics. One other thing that I get from spin fishing that I hardly get from fly fishing is the "feel". Using a one piece, fast action spinning rod with braided line is pretty much like extending your finger all the way to the bait. Feeling every little "tick" from your jig bouncing off rocks, concentrating for that once certain "tick" that is different. Again not trying to start an argument, just pointing out both styles have merits.
All that said, since I got the fly fishing bug over the fall, its all I've been in to since :D Only time I've gotten out the spin gear lately is when I've taken the lady fishing (she's recently been showing some interest and I'd love to foster that!).
So in other words I too have sinned.

dpreller

Reaction score
dont feel bad i have been known to break out the spinning rod to fish for smallmouth when they are on the bottom and i just cant seem to get them to respond to a fly.usually this is in the hot summer and a 4 inch plastic worm will get them to bite in the afternoon. good news is the last hour or so before dark they usually move to the riffles and shallow pool tail outs and i get after them with the fly rod and popping bugs.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Might I remind everyone, this is a fly fishing forum and to air your dirty laundry here is both unacceptable and in poor taste. You will not wear out my shirt sleave, so go find another shoulder to cry on. This must be stopped before we all come down with a case of guilty consciense...I have seen this happen in the past and it wasn't pretty. A fly fisherman gets to feeling guilty reading stories of his friends bearing there souls and before you know it he is running off to his wife and spilling the beans on what he really paid for those nice rods and reels. Then YOU are looking for a new fishing pardner because your ol bud is on mall shopping duty with wife as a pentence for the next year.

Shut this site down now, lest we loose another member...

Dave

busbus

Reaction score
Might I remind everyone, this is a fly fishing forum and to air your dirty laundry here is both unacceptable and in poor taste. You will not wear out my shirt sleave, so go find another shoulder to cry on. This must be stopped before we all come down with a case of guilty consciense...I have seen this happen in the past and it wasn't pretty. A fly fisherman gets to feeling guilty reading stories of his friends bearing there souls and before you know it he is running off to his wife and spilling the beans on what he really paid for those nice rods and reels. Then YOU are looking for a new fishing pardner because your ol bud is on mall shopping duty with wife as a pentence for the next year.

Shut this site down now, lest we loose another member...

I'm sorry!! I truly am sorry!!!!! :banned:

I thought if I told the truth, I would be redeemed, but all I did was make it worse! Oh, how things can just snowball out of control.

Please, please let my punishment be forty lashes less one with the bamboo rod. Please, that over banishment. I promise I will be better in the future!

Do you have a 12-Step Program to make sure I don't fall off the wagon again? A mantra or the equivalent to "The Man's Prayer" that I can recite?! I will do anything! Please, I beg...:icon_cry::worthy::icon_cry:

For what it's worth, I have NOT told the wife how much my gear cost. She believes all that and the tying material and equipment I have is worth about a third of what it really cost.

(My only fear is that, if I die, she will sell it for what I told her it was worth.)

littledavid123

Reaction score
It will be ok BusBus, the winter has been long and cabin fever can set in with symptoms including delirious proclamtions. I think the fever has broke and everything is going to be ok, however be mindful of a relapse if forced to stay indoors this weekend.

Hopefully we have caught this early before the entire forum was infected, several of our northerly residing members (particulary those sporting moustaches) are very suspectable to the fever this time of the year.

Dave

nick k

Reaction score
I think the only sensible solution is to give your fly gear to the 14th poster on this thread.

Oh hey that's me!

bigfishcatcher

Reaction score
I fish with spinning gear from the float tube when it is windy or the fish are to deep for the fast sinking line. I think that you can't be a good fly fisherman unless you fish with spinning gear on occasion.
P.S. nick k meant the 15th poster.

al_a

Reaction score
Okay, I have to confess, too. In fact, I'm a bi-polar angler. I fish for trout in Montana and for smallmouth in Missouri. I have never fished for trout in Montana with anything but a fly rod. I seldom fish for smallmouth in Missouri with anything but a casting rod or spinning rod. Why? Because that's what I enjoy the most. I don't care about what the purists think. There is nothing like a big trout rising to a dry fly or hammering a streamer. But there is also nothing like a big smallmouth attacking a walk the dog topwater lure, or engulfing a spinnerbait, or even that subtle little tick you feel when you're fishing a hair jig in the winter. I love both kinds of fishing equally, and would not ever forego one or the other.

wannafish

Reaction score
I keep one of those little telescoping rods and an old Johnson closed face reel tucked away in the corner of the barn in case the economy collapses and I'm forced to feed my family off the land. Otherwise I'm as pure as the wind driven snow...except for a little self-righteous pride and snobbery. :D

webrx

Reaction score
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.

while I personally believe god gives us extra credit for time spent fly fishing, the above quote does not specify, So, I don't think there is a penance. I would highly recommend that you lovingly caress and sincerely apologize to your fly rod though or you my find your next fly fishing outing to be non-productive.

d