Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  92
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 83

Thread: Pet Peeve's.............

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    15,246
    Blog Entries
    111

    Default Re: Pet Peeve's.............

    Quote Originally Posted by chechem View Post
    Monofilament on the bank is a peeve.
    Needs to be a good way to dispose of it; seems to crawl out of a pocket, so I always end up wondering if it was thrown down or dropped by accident.
    It turns up everywhere, you have to wind it up into a tight package and tie it together with its self. If you think of it, place a few wire bread bag ties in a pocket or fly wallet to bind mono with. It will stay in a pocket if it's bound up tight & small.

    If I have any waste when changing a leader I use my nippers and cut it into pieces of about 6". I don't worry about them, they are almost invisible and no animal can get tangled in just a short piece. I pick up big wads of it when I find them and carry them back to the boat and eventually to a proper disposal.

    Ard

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    northern Mississippi
    Posts
    1,062

    Default Re: Pet Peeve's.............

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    It turns up everywhere, you have to wind it up into a tight package and tie it together with its self. If you think of it, place a few wire bread bag ties in a pocket or fly wallet to bind mono with. It will stay in a pocket if it's bound up tight & small.
    If I have any waste when changing a leader I use my nippers and cut it into pieces of about 6". I don't worry about them, they are almost invisible and no animal can get tangled in just a short piece. I pick up big wads of it when I find them and carry them back to the boat and eventually to a proper disposal.
    Ard
    Good suggestion about the twist ties. Guess one irritating characteristic of mono is it doesn't degrade. It just lies there for decades, reminding everyone that humans can be slobs - and that slobs were there fishing ahead of you.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Greene County, Ohio
    Posts
    176

    Default Re: Pet Peeve's.............

    Another good way to store mono you pick up is in a Pringles can.
    A buddy showed me this trick. When fishing all day he buys a small can (the half size tube) of Pringles. He slices an X in the flexible lid after he finishes them.

    Just wad up used fishing line and jam it through the X. The flexible lid will keep the mono and stuff from popping back out the container and the small tube can be stored in a pocket. Just toss the can and buy more Pringles. This tip only seems to work if you buy Pringles like I do.....

    Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
    Doug

  4. Likes chechem, fyshstykr, wyodogdoc, Ard liked this post
  5. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    northern Mississippi
    Posts
    1,062

    Default Re: Pet Peeve's.............

    Quote Originally Posted by popperhopper View Post
    Another good way to store mono you pick up is in a Pringles can.
    A buddy showed me this trick. When fishing all day he buys a small can (the half size tube) of Pringles. He slices an X in the flexible lid after he finishes them.
    Just wad up used fishing line and jam it through the X. The flexible lid will keep the mono and stuff from popping back out the container and the small tube can be stored in a pocket. Just toss the can and buy more Pringles. This tip only seems to work if you buy Pringles like I do.....
    I'll use this. I fish lots in the Caribbean, and Pringles are a favorite snack there. Almost every guide boat has both Pringles and garbage mono; I plan to put them together as you suggested. Thanks.

  6. Likes waterfordcreek, fyshstykr liked this post
  7. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    metro atlanta
    Posts
    231

    Default Re: Pet Peeve's.............

    1) fishing a spot and another fisher comes up right next to you. This goes against fishing etiquette
    2) people who don't wade quietly, like the ones who sound like they are throwing boulders in the water as they wade
    3) developed this one on last trip. Knowing you are fishing in the early morning, your bud sleeps late (not the issue) but wakes to have a scavenger hunt for thier gear cause its scattered everywhere, then wants to rig everything before seeing the situation, then ties a fly cause they can't find the one they want. If its not a last minute decision to fish, get all your stuff together before its time to hit the water
    "The core of mans spirit comes from new experiences" - C.J. McCandless

  8. #56

    Default Re: Pet Peeve's.............

    When my buddies show up late because of too much drinking the night before and thier hung over. I don't get out fishing enough to have time for that ****.

  9. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Brookline, MA
    Posts
    1,241

    Default Re: Pet Peeve's.............

    This isn't specifically a buddy pet peeve (although fishing buddy's have done this to me) so I apologize in advance.

    The thing that bothers me the most is when random people come talk to you while you are fly fishing and they stand to the right of you. If you watch someone fly fishing for more than 2 seconds, you should know that that is NOT the place you want to stand, for either of your conveniences.

  10. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: Pet Peeve's.............

    Quote Originally Posted by nick k View Post
    This isn't specifically a buddy pet peeve (although fishing buddy's have done this to me) so I apologize in advance.

    The thing that bothers me the most is when random people come talk to you while you are fly fishing and they stand to the right of you. If you watch someone fly fishing for more than 2 seconds, you should know that that is NOT the place you want to stand, for either of your conveniences.
    I usually just ask them to come around to my left side so we can keep talking while I fish.

    Cheers,
    Graeme

  11. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Green River, Wyoming
    Posts
    196

    Default Re: Pet Peeve's.............

    I love fishing alone, I love fishing with others, I love talking to new people on the water, I think most fishermen are pretty darn interesting.

    Pet peeve....

    people who are to good to talk to the rest of us simple folk while on the water.

  12. Likes Ard liked this post
  13. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Brookline, MA
    Posts
    1,241

    Default Re: Pet Peeve's.............

    I love talking to other people as well, but it's pretty obvious what side of me you should stand on.

  14. Likes Ard liked this post
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •