Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  28
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gear Purchase Confessions

Default Re: Gear Purchase Confessions

My stock answer to this dilemma: buy her a new toy first, then buy yours. It's worked for me with skis and fishing gear. Every time...hope it continues .

Blog Entries

Of all the things you can hope for throughout your life, being understood by your wife, friends and etc is probably one that would be a good thing. I have had a charmed life of sorts and when I met Nancy she knew I was a salmon fisherman. Our first date was a trip for tide water salmon.

She took this picture that day.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

just go to the closet, and count the number of pocketbooks/purses/shoes (I CANNOT count that high), sweaters with just the slightest change in color (they all look red to me), etc., etc., and then look at her and go "whut's the problem?". I also get home before the wife does most days, and then throw the new toy in the truck for a later day. LOL. We have seperate accts as well, with the bills divided between us.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

4. Likes shotgunfly liked this post

I'm a lucky man, because whenever I buy a new piece of fly gear (which seems to be frequently these days) she just smiles and shakes her head. She's always entertained by my feeble excuses--"Honey, this was a $700 rod that was on sale for $500! It's a deal!"

Plus which I have the ultimate all-purpose rationalization to justify buying pretty much anything you want: it's not like you're going to be lying on your deathbed thinking "man, I shouldn't have bought that fly rod." Warning: frequent use of this rationalization can be hazardous to your bank account.

Scott

6. Likes shotgunfly, runningfish liked this post

My wife and I have a familiar routine:

Her: The UPS guy just showed up with a strange-shaped package addressed to you.

Me: Sweetie, you know I have enemies. Carefully carry that back to my den and then slowly back away.

Her: If it's dangerous, I should probably throw it in the ravine and call the police.

Me: No, no, tossing it into the ravine could set it off.

Her: I love you.

Me: I love you too

8. Likes shotgunfly, diamond rush liked this post

Give and you shall receive.

My wife is a budding long distance runner. First marathon this year.

I encourage her to run races. I drive or arrange flights, take photos, run water bottles. Pamper her there, during and back. I drop the occasional gift certificate to her favorite sports stores and flowers.

She encourages me to buy whatever I want and fish whenever I want.

We mutually have no interest in doing the other's favorite hobby. But we're committed to supporting each other.

It also helps that I make pretty good money in freelance and can blow that any way I like. Part of which is of course on her ;-)
    "...all snobbery is defensive..and as important as fishing seems, the most important thing about it is, it's just fishing."

-- John Gierach

Art: http://www.gravenfish.com

My TU:
    http://massanuttentu.com

10. Likes plecain, duker liked this post

This is so totally a guy thing. Being in the tackle biz for 20 years and into shotguns and such I have come up with so many ways to "bring" things home and have so much stuff she has no clue what's new, old or holding for a guy.

I use to keep the old vacum bags with dust so I could use it to put on stuff to make look like I had it for years. I use to coach guys on how to sneak stuff into the house. Since I own my own business (non-tackle) I have stuff sent to my shop.

Craig
    "Never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by duker View Post
    I'm a lucky man, because whenever I buy a new piece of fly gear (which seems to be frequently these days) she just smiles and shakes her head. She's always entertained by my feeble excuses--"Honey, this was a $700 rod that was on sale for $500! It's a deal!"

Plus which I have the ultimate all-purpose rationalization to justify buying pretty much anything you want: it's not like you're going to be lying on your deathbed thinking "man, I shouldn't have bought that fly rod." Warning: frequent use of this rationalization can be hazardous to your bank account.

Scott
    My best line is "I got it on Ebay for 60% off!!!" I never ever ever ever mentioned a $ amount to my wife. It cost me a new Samsung Galaxy S5 or S4 the last time she found out I bought a Zenith 8wt.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

13. Likes shimloom liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12