Closing Threads?

tbblom

Reaction score
I think it is because our little world of fly fishing is smaller than we think. I made a negative post about a brand of gear. But, it turns out the company wants to do the right thing. It is probably tough being an 'up and coming' brand, and in the end I don't think they deserved the internet bashing that I had doled out.

Some of the bigger name brands need some competition to keep prices down on the market. If the smaller company wants to 'do right' by their customers, then I don't want to drag them down with negative press and commentary. I mentioned to Ard that I wouldn't mind having the thread closed, no need to keep the negativity up after the issue has been resolved.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Unless there is something really 'wrong' with the thread (fill in the blanks) all will die a "natural death" if there's no further postings. About the only way you'll find same is via the search function.

That's one of the interesting comparisons between this and the UK 'Mother Board.' Removed posts, and threads are not all that unusual.

Here? I'm hard pressed to even think of one. A 'Cultural' difference in our view of what's appropriate on the Internet? Bottom line is Ard, Larry, et., al. 'run a clean shop' and every one knows it.
:shades:

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Clean shop....its why I like this board.

I can be squeaky clean while giving my report on a companies product and/or service.

Manage a post or two, manage the poster...but the thread is closed after a month?

Seems like a cave, I have a very honest opinion about the company as I am sure many do.

I still love this place.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Closing a thread has been well managed in my opinion and the reasons for closing are predictable. Any post that beats too hard on a business or stirs emotions to the point of members leaving the site should be closed. Sure we all think its rotten when they close one of our posts, but the action is usually fair and appears to be unbiased.

Dave

Reactions: Ard

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I agree Dave, but we manage issues in our life every day while stopping short of taking my ball and going home.

I still respect the decision but it is hard not to be concerned in this day and age of running from responsibility.

Now, I am going to try and catch a fish today as it has been a longgg winter and to much work and not enough pay so I have been cranky I guess.

It works both ways...praise and/or dissent. Do we close the threads that are more on the side of praise?

I am just a bit amiss by so much pc. But as we all know, all we are is wine sipping elitist flailers. :icon_wink

Cheers to the forum!

fredaevans

Reaction score
Closing a thread has been well managed in my opinion and the reasons for closing are predictable. Any post that beats too hard on a business or stirs emotions to the point of members leaving the site should be closed. Sure we all think its rotten when they close one of our posts, but the action is usually fair and appears to be unbiased.

Dave
+1 here. No idea what thread this ramble is going on about (don't really even care) but if, as noted above the thread was ongoing for a month ........

:rolleyes:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
On a whole threads run forever unless they are either straying from the topic way too much or becoming really negative for some reason.

I think that one reason this forum has gained a reputation for being positive & friendly is that we have always had moderators who were active. By active I mean reading the threads not just the title line.

On some internet forums you almost never see a post from the moderators and often as you look through a thread things may be going sideways. We try not to over manage but there is a thin line between managing and over managing things. Many threads that you find closed are the result of someone reporting that thread. When that happens there is always a chance of them being closed.

Hope that kinda explains a little,

Ard

fredaevans

Reaction score
Here-here you Ard, so hear you. (No bad pun intended.)

The thing that makes this Fora so unusual is the 'Mod's' actually post up with their 'real names.' And they contribute to the ongoing posited/asked 'question(s).'

I may be slightly wrong here (over stated) but I've read postings from Folks that cover about 10 International time zones. Yes, I do have to pay attention to that clock for business reasons.

A posting's from someone in Russia to Jakarta, and every place in between. The 'why' is pretty obvious, and I'll leave it at that.

"We few, we Band of Brothers."
:army:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe a little levity will help when a topic gets closed, I was thinking something like this before actually closing the thread.