Losing the indicator

jor fly

Reaction score
OK,

Well, Hardyreels thread on streamers got me thinking, and I'm ready to try nymphing without an indicator. Do any of you more experienced nymph/wet fly fishermen (and women) out there have any tips for someone doing this for the first time?

silver creek

Reaction score
My friend and I fish the Madison River every year. In 2008, I started euronymphing. I followed my friend who was indicator nymphiing. I pulled these two fish out of the same run he had fished 15 minutes earlier.

Discussed previously on this BB here:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...zech-style-nymphing-what-your-experience.html

Podcasts:

European Fly Fishing Techniques | Jeff Currier | Fly Fishing

European Nymphing | Aaron Jasper | Fly Fishing

The Evolution of Nymphing | Aaron Jasper | Fly Fishing

Or you can buy the book Dynamic Nymphing by George Daniel.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Try to fish on sight,if you can locate a fish present your nymph and watch the fish moves(or a flash in the water)...if you fish a pool watch your tippet ,it sinks at a regular speed unless a fish catches the nymph. Fish streams or rivers which are not too deep...Find someone used to nymphing techniques and fish with him.Practise a lot and don't be discouraged at the beginning...;)

silver creek

Reaction score
Try to fish on sight,if you can locate a fish present your nymph and watch the fish moves(or a flash in the water)...if you fish a pool watch your tippet ,it sinks at a regular speed unless a fish catches the nymph. Fish streams or rivers which are not too deep...Find someone used to nymphing techniques and fish with him.Practise a lot and don't be discouraged at the beginning...;)
There are two main methods. The tight line leading the fly Polish/Czech method for nymphing a rod length away and the French and Spanish method that uses long leaders and sighters.

The tight line method is known in the USA as the called the rolled nymph method. You feel the take.

In the longer cast method you raise the rod to keep connected to the fly as the fly comes back toward you. There is a "sighter" of brightly colored mono in the leader that you watch and the take is seen by a hesitation or jump in the sighter.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
In a few minutes I'm off to mentor students of our club's beginners fly fishing class. Somewhere during the day we're supposed to demonstrate different technics of trout fishing with streamers, drys, wets and nymphs.
I'd just as soon fish a dry fly all day (like I did yesterday :thmbup:), but that's not the point.
But fishing a nymph under an indicator is just not my thing and not something that enjoy teaching at all. :eek:
I suppose that I should check to see that I even have some before heading out.

chechem

Reaction score
In a few minutes I'm off to mentor students of our club's beginners fly fishing class. Somewhere during the day we're supposed to demonstrate different technics of trout fishing with streamers, drys, wets and nymphs.
I'd just as soon fish a dry fly all day (like I did yesterday :thmbup:), but that's not the point.
But fishing a nymph under an indicator is just not my thing and not something that enjoy teaching at all. :eek:
I suppose that I should check to see that I even have some before heading out.
I've never liked using an indicator for nymphs. Maybe it's because I heard someone say, "It's like fishing with a float." It is.
Maybe you could demonstrate nymphing to your class, then add the quote and show techniques without it. To me, fishing without an indicator is a maturity in nymphing. My eyes are getting old, so it takes concentration to nymph fish -- but it should!
Thanks for the discussion.

jor fly

Reaction score
OK,

Having looked into the czech nymphing and some of the other techniques mentioned, I have a slight problem: There are precious few places in central KY where I live that have the type of water that people typically czech nymph in. Most of the water I deal with is usually pocket water mixed with slow flowing pools. There's not usually a lot of fast water. Now then, I know I could employ some of the other techniques such as spanish or french, but that is something I would need to find a mentor for or take a class. I do actually have luck with indicators, but I feel like I am passing fish over. I'll continue to do research and even try some good old fashioned high sticking until I can get together the materials and/or a class needed for some of the euro nymphing techniques.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I was watching my friend Gary fishing a deep slot yesterday. He had a short bright red furled leader on with about 4-5' of tippet.
You could see every hit that he got and there was quite a few.
:worthy: