Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Losing the indicator

OK,

Well, Hardyreels thread on streamers got me thinking, and I'm ready to try nymphing without an indicator. Do any of you more experienced nymph/wet fly fishermen (and women) out there have any tips for someone doing this for the first time?

2. Likes brucerducer liked this post

Default Re: Losing the indicator

My friend and I fish the Madison River every year. In 2008, I started euronymphing. I followed my friend who was indicator nymphiing. I pulled these two fish out of the same run he had fished 15 minutes earlier.

Discussed previously on this BB here:

Czech style nymphing.. What is your experience?

Podcasts:

European Fly Fishing Techniques | Jeff Currier | Fly Fishing

European Nymphing | Aaron Jasper | Fly Fishing

The Evolution of Nymphing | Aaron Jasper | Fly Fishing

Or you can buy the book Dynamic Nymphing by George Daniel.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

Try to fish on sight,if you can locate a fish present your nymph and watch the fish moves(or a flash in the water)...if you fish a pool watch your tippet ,it sinks at a regular speed unless a fish catches the nymph. Fish streams or rivers which are not too deep...Find someone used to nymphing techniques and fish with him.Practise a lot and don't be discouraged at the beginning...

5. Likes Ard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
    Try to fish on sight,if you can locate a fish present your nymph and watch the fish moves(or a flash in the water)...if you fish a pool watch your tippet ,it sinks at a regular speed unless a fish catches the nymph. Fish streams or rivers which are not too deep...Find someone used to nymphing techniques and fish with him.Practise a lot and don't be discouraged at the beginning...
    There are two main methods. The tight line leading the fly Polish/Czech method for nymphing a rod length away and the French and Spanish method that uses long leaders and sighters.

The tight line method is known in the USA as the called the rolled nymph method. You feel the take.

In the longer cast method you raise the rod to keep connected to the fly as the fly comes back toward you. There is a "sighter" of brightly colored mono in the leader that you watch and the take is seen by a hesitation or jump in the sighter.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

7. Likes jpbfly, brucerducer liked this post
    Blog Entries

Think I use a third one....

Thanks for the tips guys!

There was a time that I could see where the tip of the line met the butt of the leader...and that was before there were indicators and I was a lot younger with better eyesight...

Here are some alternatives to what is generally used:

Siman Fly-Fishing Shop, Czech Nymph Products, Czech Nymph Masterclass.

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

11. Likes brucerducer liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by jor fly View Post
    OK,

Do any of you more experienced nymph/wet fly fishermen (and women) out there have any tips for someone doing this for the first time?
    This thread is a bit dated, but there should a couple nuggets yet to be gleaned

Nymph fishing without indicators
    "Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

13. Likes brucerducer liked this post

In a few minutes I'm off to mentor students of our club's beginners fly fishing class. Somewhere during the day we're supposed to demonstrate different technics of trout fishing with streamers, drys, wets and nymphs.
    I'd just as soon fish a dry fly all day (like I did yesterday ), but that's not the point.
    But fishing a nymph under an indicator is just not my thing and not something that enjoy teaching at all.
    I suppose that I should check to see that I even have some before heading out.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    In a few minutes I'm off to mentor students of our club's beginners fly fishing class. Somewhere during the day we're supposed to demonstrate different technics of trout fishing with streamers, drys, wets and nymphs.
    I'd just as soon fish a dry fly all day (like I did yesterday ), but that's not the point.
    But fishing a nymph under an indicator is just not my thing and not something that enjoy teaching at all.
    I suppose that I should check to see that I even have some before heading out.
    I've never liked using an indicator for nymphs. Maybe it's because I heard someone say, "It's like fishing with a float." It is.
    Maybe you could demonstrate nymphing to your class, then add the quote and show techniques without it. To me, fishing without an indicator is a maturity in nymphing. My eyes are getting old, so it takes concentration to nymph fish -- but it should!
    Thanks for the discussion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast