Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Greased leader

1. Default Greased leader

I have never "greased" a leader, but I've seen it recommended more often. Essentially, you put floatant paste on the leader to within a few inches of the fly to make sure the leader floats and does not pull the fly under.

I use mono leaders with flouro tippet. I'm fishing for trout with a 3 or 5 wt. rod. Is greasing the leader a good idea? Do you just wipe the floatant off if you want to go to a nymph?

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Default Re: Greased leader

Wase of time, but Floro, by its very nature, SINKS. That aside, just casting will 'dry off' the rest of your leader.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Quote Originally Posted by alligator View Post
    I have never "greased" a leader, but I've seen it recommended more often. Essentially, you put floatant paste on the leader to within a few inches of the fly to make sure the leader floats and does not pull the fly under.
    I use mono leaders with flouro tippet. I'm fishing for trout with a 3 or 5 wt. rod. Is greasing the leader a good idea? Do you just wipe the floatant off if you want to go to a nymph?
    This is actually a tactic you would use with a nymph...specifically a midge pattern that you're trying to suspend at a specific level below the surface.

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

.... there's also a "greased line presentation" that has nothing to do with greasing your line
    It's a down stream mend to put your fly perpendicular to the current and show any fish the full profile of your streamer
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

Rip Tide nailed it...
    I often fish for large Browns that take tiny midge's. The fish tend to like going after the midges just before they reach the surface. I will sometimes grease my tippet (dry fly leader) within about 12-16" of the fly. This allows me to set the exact depth the fly will be at in the water column. This works great with small flies, not as well with heavy nymphs. For me, this system works good in very slow moving water...
    Hope that hepled.

I often grease my leader and even the connection between the leader and the fly line. I leave the end of the tippet free of grease because the greased part does make a big imprint on the water surface.

I fish in still water conditions. When dry fly fishing my fly can often float for a good 5 to 10 minutes before I recast it out. If the mono leader slips under the surface, it will eventually take the dry fly under too.

I just put some Gink's between my forefinger and thumb and pass the connection knot and mono leader between my fingers.

Blog Entries

I have always wiped my leaders with those little alcohol prep pads you can get at any drug store - drys or nymphs. (I fish strait mono leaders, maxima chamileon with maxima green tippet.)
    I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.

When I'm running a dry-dropper set up I will grease the tippet. Go to rig this time of year is a Parachute Adams (size 18), tied off of the bend about 18" of tippet is a Blue Wing emerger pattern (size 18-20) . Then grease the tippet to about 3" of the dropper.

Catches fish in two columns.

For dires I use regular mono tippet/leaders since it floats more than the fluorocarbon. I also "grease" my leaders/flies with a product called Aquel. I will only use Aquel once per fly no matter what. After that I will use Loon Moon Dust or Frog's Fanny to get some float. Also, I have been testing this new spray from Tiemco that is alcohol based. Spray it on your flies and it literally pulls water out of your fly. Swing by your fly shop and spray some on the back of your hand and it will pull moisture from your body in seconds.

Randy
    “Fishing for me, as funny as it sounds, is sorta my brand of praying almost. I’m never closer to my spirituality than when I’m in the act of fishing.” - JT Van Zandt