Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question First dumb question ...

Hi all. Time for my first newbie question!

I was wondering if anyone could provide some links to lists of Fly fishing terminology/glossaries? I checked out the sticky in this section about terminology: it was humorous but not too helpful LOL.

I figured that I should at least know the names of various things before I jump in and try to hold a conversation. I have only been fly fishing once and that was in Scotland. My Ghillie handed me the pole and said he would show me how to cast. That's it!

I know you all like pictures so I will toss a couple in from Scotland ... including my big $700 Atlantic Salmon ...

Scary, eh?

Blog Entries

Default Re: First dumb question ...

Give this site a try: Beginner

Also take a look around the Orvis Learning Center, it has some great inoformation for beginners. How To Fly Fish For Trout, Bass & More | Learn Fly Fishing With Orvis
    Larry

3. Likes fredaevans liked this post

Thanks.

I had already seen some of the Orvis videos, but had completely missed the Glossary. It is short but will probably help a lot since I don't know a tippet from a leader or backing.

Warned ya I was a newbie!

Any other glossary links will be appreciated.

Blog Entries

OK, here is another one you might find useful:
    Glossary of Fly Fishing Terms

Also checkout a book written by Ed Quigley titled: Fly Fishing Advice from an Old Timer, the Kindle version is only $4.99.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Fishing-Advice-Old-Timer/dp/1440165513/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368124305&sr=1-3&keywords=ed+quigley"]Fly Fishing Advice from an Old Timer: A Practical Guide to the Sport and Its Language: Ed Quigley: 9781440165511: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qHkXLaqjL.@@AMEPARAM@@51qHkXLaqjL[/ame]
    Larry

Blog Entries

7. Likes fredaevans liked this post
  8. Default Re: First dumb question ...

Quote Originally Posted by loren_brothers View Post
    I figured that I should at least know the names of various things before I jump in and try to hold a conversation. I have only been fly fishing once and that was in Scotland. My Ghillie handed me the pole and said he would show me how to cast. That's it!
    Lesson #1:

NEVER refer to a fly rod as a "pole." The term "pole" describes the structure that is employed in displaying flags, and also describes the denizens of Warsaw and its surrounding environs, but (I repeat) NEVER a fly rod.

Taking heed of this advice will save you from an unexpected deluge of sneers, snickers, eye rolls, and derisive laughs that would surely send you scurrying back to your car in shame. This might seem like minor information, but you'll thank me some day.

9. Likes shimloom liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Great 'where to' info above, but I loved the two pictures. I've caught a very similar fish a day or so back (Steelhead smolt).
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Peterjay I had to laugh. For years I have told people a "pole" is for telephone wires and strippers, not something you fish with. Gets some funny looks when you correct people.

Craig
    "Never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Okay ... I promise never to use the "P" word again.

lol

Thanks for the links. I think that will get me started!

Quote Originally Posted by peterjay View Post
    Lesson #1:

NEVER refer to a fly rod as a "pole." The term "pole" describes the structure that is employed in displaying flags, and also describes the denizens of Warsaw and its surrounding environs, but (I repeat) NEVER a fly rod.

Taking heed of this advice will save you from an unexpected deluge of sneers, snickers, eye rolls, and derisive laughs that would surely send you scurrying back to your car in shame. This might seem like minor information, but you'll thank me some day.

+2 on the above. Calling a "rod" a "pole" will show that you are a newbie.

Some dictionaries define rods and poles as identical, but my understanding is that there is a difference between a fishing pole and a fishing rod.

A fishing "pole" has no line guides and no reel. The fishing line is tied to the end of the "pole" like the cane poles that Tom Sawyer used. This is the proper use of the term "pole."

A fishing "rod" has line guides and a reel seat. So we use fly rods and not fly poles. Technically a tenkara outfit is a "pole" and not a rod.

"fishing pole: noun: a long, slender rod of wood or other material with a line and hook fastened to one end for use in catching fish."

Fishing pole | Define Fishing pole at Dictionary.com

In England I don't think they make that distinction between rod and pole.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast