Inflatable PDF's

oarfish

Reaction score
For members that use an inflatable PDF while fishing. A question came up this morning while having coffee with forum member Mikel as to how often to replace the CO2 arming cylinder, as for my self I install a new arming kit every year which is most likely incorrect, the question is how do you approach maintenance on this type of PDF's

Rick

vanceinak

Reaction score
I used to mechanic for a helicopter company here in AK & we had self inflating PFDs in the machine for offshore use. We were required to weigh the Co2 cylinders every year to confirm content.

mikel

Reaction score
For members that use an inflatable PDF while fishing. A question came up this morning while having coffee with forum member Mikel as to how often to replace the CO2 arming cylinder, as for my self I install a new arming kit every year which is most likely incorrect, the question is how do you approach maintenance on this type of PDF's

Rick
yeah, so after coffee with Rick I spent the whole week in my float tube wondering if my pfd would float my fat b*$% :)

rickf

Reaction score
I purchased one of those Cabela's auto pfd. They came out last year and used to have a big discount sale.

The first time I used it, I fell head first into the cold water! It works pretty good, but I had to send to Cabelas to get a new co2 with sensor ($25 and it took 2 weeks to get there) LOL

I'm pretty sure the CO2 can't leak out or "go bad" so I don't think you have to change it if you don't use it ....... for a long time! Maybe replace in 20 years ..... if they still make them?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I have a Stearns manual PFD that I bought in 2001. I have to pull a ripcord to get it to inflate.

After six or seven years of owning it, I decided to pull the ripcord. The PFD inflated flawlessly. I had a spare rearming kit to replace the spent cartridge.

Dennis

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
My Stearns is older than Dennis's and I've never had to set it off Rick. It has never been stored in heat nor has it been frozen. The vest has a manual inflate tube and I air it up every year in spring and let it sit on the kitchen table over night to be sure the seams are good. It holds its air and I wear it every trip to the cabin. I hope I never need it but figure it'll work if I do.