10 pages anbd a project away from freedom!

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
I'm finishing a brutal semester of grad school and this is all that's left.--ten pages of essay to write and a small project. Due Friday and then it's leave for five days of camping/fishing with my dad the following Monday.

Strangely enough, the liberation has already begun. This is actually the first week in months that I'm not thinking "how am I gonna get all this done?" It's doable!

Largemouth bass, crappies, bluegills, channel cats, campfires, camp cooking, card games, cigars, loafing, maybe even a round of golf....oh, the anticipation!!!!

if there ever was a week to thank God, it's this one.

Last edited:

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
What's the topic?

Fred
Actually two essays (5 pages each)--one is on the American colonies and how they grew and matured into stable, proudly British societies before all hell broke loose with England. The second is the way the Revolution unfolded differently in each colonial region.

The project is basically how I would organize a course on 19th century America (one of my specialty fields). What texts and readings, how to teach it, what issues, etc.

I'm a doctoral student in American history, as you can probably guess. Kansas State University.

I'm at the statge that the more I write, the closer I am to being done (and to an extra chance to fish a local lake before the big trip:D).

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
For Jollies, look up (if you don't already know) the import and banning of the musket. Year'ish later you had a war on our hands.

Next is we won. 1/3 wanted/supported, 1/3 wanted nothing to do with it, 1/3 supported King George (rough number's here only). Those that supported KG (the 3rd?) were given a choice. Get out, and get out. Many went north to eastern Canada ... which was French.

Canada still lives (politically) with how that turned out. Ever buy a box/can of food 'up there?' Labels have to be printed in both languages. :rolleyes: Lot of us still refer to them as 'Frogs.'

Yes, I was born/raised in Canada.:D

fae

Didn't take the Colonial troupes too long to figure out 'pitched battles,' unless needed (you usually got your ass kicked) was not a good "Plan A." Every one knows about 'Gorilla Warfare,' actually invented here. In 'Europe' the fighting was long lines of troupes blasting away at each other at 50 or less yards and Officer's, or aiming at same, was a 'no-no.' The 'Kentucky Long Rifle' took care of that; you could pop one off his horse at 150-200 yards if you were a good shot. And if you owned one, you probably were. Not the invention of the 'Sniper,' but pretty close.

'Cut off the head and you kill the snake' was one description I remember reading.

But I ramble.

Last edited:

fredaevans

Reaction score
And something to think about is that while you are having fun next week your profs will be stuck grading all of your hard work!
Naaa, unless things have really changed, it was us 'Grad Students' that had to do the grading. Prof's went off to where ever they went. But you'd hit papers that were really exceptional and you'd fax same.

To get a 'I just really learned some thing' was a great moment. Back in the mid-60's so "fact checking" took a hell of a lot of work.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
For Jollies, look up (if you don't already know) the import and banning of the musket. Year'ish later you had a war on our hands.

Next is we won. 1/3 wanted/supported, 1/3 wanted nothing to do with it, 1/3 supported King George (rough number's here only). Those that supported KG (the 3rd?) were given a choice. Get out, and get out. Many went north to eastern Canada ... which was French.

Canada still lives (politically) with how that turned out. Ever buy a box/can of food 'up there?' Labels have to be printed in both languages. :rolleyes: Lot of us still refer to them as 'Frogs.'

Yes, I was born/raised in Canada.:D

fae

Didn't take the Colonial troupes too long to figure out 'pitched battles,' unless needed (you usually got your ass kicked) was not a good "Plan A." Every one knows about 'Gorilla Warfare,' actually invented here. In 'Europe' the fighting was long lines of troupes blasting away at each other at 50 or less yards and Officer's, or aiming at same, was a 'no-no.' The 'Kentucky Long Rifle' took care of that; you could pop one off his horse at 150-200 yards if you were a good shot. And if you owned one, you probably were. Not the invention of the 'Sniper,' but pretty close.

'Cut off the head and you kill the snake' was one description I remember reading.

But I ramble.

Oh, yes. Talked about alot of it in class. This course has had less emphasis on the military side than many course, though. It brought out more of the tensions between Catholic New France and Protestant New England. It drove a lot of events and does not get much press.

Incidentally, I am French-Canadian in heritage (last name is Charboneau). We hail from Michigan originally. My grandmother was a Canadian citizen who married an American after WWI. My grandfather was a Frenchmen from up around Duluth, MN and wound up in Detroit.

We have a cross-border family reunion each year. This year it is on the American side, though. Planning to be there this year if all works out. There's a good smallmouth bass stream near a place we'll be for a few days, and good camping, beach, and golf along Lake Huron for a few more.:thumbsupu

Well, back to work. I'm slogging through Pennsylvania and how the diversity in the colony produced conflict. Not as bad as it sounds, but would rather be fishing...

fredaevans

Reaction score
My God I knew it! 'He's a Frog!'

:D

Just kidding, but if you want to keep 'things going' toss in Religion. Good Episcopalian Boy here;); We're all Fuzzy Bunnies. Well, there are some of late who've left the Reservation.

The reunions sound like a huge amount of fun, especially if you can toss in some good fishing along the way.

Fred

Edit: If not an imposition, I'd love to read your papers;

Last edited:

coug

Reaction score
Naaa, unless things have really changed, it was us 'Grad Students' that had to do the grading. Prof's went off to where ever they went. .
I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you on that one, as I just spent the last two weeks grading grad student papers while looking out the window wishing I was fishing!

half fast

Reaction score
Those that supported KG (the 3rd?) were given a choice. Get out, and get out. Many went north to eastern Canada ... which was French.
Interestingly, when the war started quite a few British loyalists went to Florida. Florida came under British control in 1763 as part of the Peace of Paris, and remained British until 1783 and the Treaty of Versailles.

So at the time of the American Revolution, there were actually fourteen English colonies in what was to become the USA, but only thirteen rebelled.

fredaevans

Reaction score
Yup, go cougs!
Well I'm a "Husky." Save for the odd time, well' beat the crud out of your teams.' Two year gap from Greg to Julie (Greg, like me graduated from the U of W) and watching 'cross State' games.

Quaterback gets 'sacked' and SO YES.

Ever have your Daughter whack you on the side of your head with her hat?

OK, I'll just shut up and watch the game.

fae

waterfordcreek

Reaction score
Kansas State and UW...2 schools that have OWNED us.

I went to "The U".

Its looking like my daughter is either going to be a Gator or Seminole. That kinda stings.....Now if only i could get a fly-rod in her hands, i might forgive her!:)

Jim

fredaevans

Reaction score
Hear you Jim. The most amazing basketball game I ever saw was the Harlem Globetrotters against Seattle Pacific University. At that time, the GT's would set up a game against some local Uni. and have a fun time of it. Who ever set this one up made a real mistake.

SPU, small collage they may have been, had the best BB team on the west coast. There were two brothers on the team (point guards?) that were (maybe) 6' tall, but on the court they were total magic.

10 minutes into the game and the GT's were down 15'ish points and it was going to get worse. No more tricks, no more fluffing around. Thing turned into a full on Professional level match. From that point forward I don't think any of the spectators ever put their butts on their chairs.

GT's finally won the game, by a few, but they earned it.

fredaevans

Reaction score
Hear you Nate. Company I worked for 17+ years had 6 court side seats (Sonic's) right under the basket. You could almost count on getting a player in your/some one's lap.

These guys were big, but they were all 'big' so you didn't have a sense of scale. Out getting some water (what ever) at half time and they come back to the Court. I'm 6' and at 180 .... I was puny compared to these people!

The 'short guy' was probably 6-3 and 250 pounds and it went up from there. Only time I've seen anything like that was on a business trip to LA. Hotel I was staying at had some 'away' Pro foot ball team there (didn't know that). Elevator door opens and one guy fills the entire thing!

He had to turn sideways and duck to get out the door.:eek:

Another defining moment that 6'-180 was a 'shrimp.'

ontheflyguide

Reaction score
Hear you Nate. Company I worked for 17+ years had 6 court side seats (Sonic's) right under the basket. You could almost count on getting a player in your/some one's lap.

These guys were big, but they were all 'big' so you didn't have a sense of scale. Out getting some water (what ever) at half time and they come back to the Court. I'm 6' and at 180 .... I was puny compared to these people!

The 'short guy' was probably 6-3 and 250 pounds and it went up from there. Only time I've seen anything like that was on a business trip to LA. Hotel I was staying at had some 'away' Pro foot ball team there (didn't know that). Elevator door opens and one guy fills the entire thing!

He had to turn sideways and duck to get out the door.:eek:

Another defining moment that 6'-180 was a 'shrimp.'
I know what you mean, I had two OIT basketball players on a trip, the river was flowing at 2500 at the dam, talk about sore arms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:stretcher

fredaevans

Reaction score
I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you on that one, as I just spent the last two weeks grading grad student papers while looking out the window wishing I was fishing!
Good Grief! How did you get your grades out on a timely basis. Well, let me re-phrase that. A 400 - 800 level class isn't the same as something with lower numbers.

Do you folks still use that/those class level designation? 1995 was my last degree so really out of date save for hours of reading every day.

The most hated question started out with something like this: ''Discuss and compare ...." Once, only once, did I get an 'A' grade by turning in my 'Blue Book' and I just said 'There really is nothing to discuss and compare; the events were close to 125 years apart and 5,000 miles in different directions. History just repeats itself.'

Prof called me into his office and asked what do you really mean by that?

'Only way you get/hold Power is by beating the **** out of people who don't. You suppress, you steal, you tax the **** out of them, you don't give them a proper education, you do what ever, you pay well and on time to people who keep you there. The masses? You put on 'games' and throw them bread.'

Sound like 'our times?'

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
I know what you mean, I had two OIT basketball players on a trip, the river was flowing at 2500 at the dam, talk about sore arms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:stretcher
Dear God! I can just imagine! :eek:

:worthy: