Longevity of waders

86celtics

Reaction score
Being relatively new to the sport and never having purchased waders, I've been doing a lot of reading about the various types. I'm going to go with breathable stocking foot waders, but i can't decide on brand/model.

I see Simms' G3's are very highly regarded (and priced). I like the price of Orvis' Silver Sonic Convertibles but the reviews are mixed. I have many LL Bean products for Upland Hunting and have been very satisfied so I've looked into their new Kennebec Waders as well.

I have to say that I'm a little discouraged at the reviews I've been reading. I don't mind paying the higher premium for waders as long as I can get more than just a couple years out of them, but I read that you can only expect to get a couple years out of breathables. Is that accurate? Seems that if you only get a few years use, you might as well stay with the mid range...

I appreciate any comments or suggestions.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Waders are what they are, save for Simms. All made 'off shore' that I know of. If I had to make a pick I'd look at the Dan Baileys. I've used them for close to two decades and only had one 'failure' and that was almost right out of the box. Two sets I have now (chest and mid-highs) are close to 6 or 7 years old and still going strong.

The newer one's now (bloody took them long enough to figure this out ...:mad:) don't have inside the leg seams. Major ware point just because your walking.

alt1001

Reaction score
I am fairly new to fly fishing but not trout fishing. I own a pair of Simms G3's and have for 3 years. I bought them when I was in the Military for fall and winter coastal fishing and they have never leaked. Ever! Plus, Simms customer support is the best anywhere. Spend the money, you will not regret it!

djamtime

Reaction score
I wear a pair of reddington sonic pro waders. From what I hear they are very similar to the orvis. I am extremely happy with mine.

jaybo41

Reaction score
One of the things I've noticed over the years about waders and their longevity is that you really need to make sure you get a size that fits properly. If you get them and they are too big or too small, that can lead towards premature wear. Make sure you allow room for layers in the seasons and climate you're fishing in.

Also, consider what type of fishing you do and the things you need to go through to get to where you're fishing. If you're bushwhacking, you might want waders with more substantial layers on the legs. If you don't wade deep, you might even consider waist high waders.

When you're done with them, turn them inside out and hang them to try. Make sure the feet touch the floor so you're not stretching the seams. Then flip them and dry the outside.

Get waders from a company that you know will stand behind them. Simms, Bean, Patagonia, Orvis all seem to be pretty solid. I've used Orvis wader repair and they were excellent. Bean's Warranty is legendary, and Simms will do your first repair for free on the G3's.

Lots of guys that fish a lot own more than one pair of waders. If one pair needs to go back for service, there's another to use. Or you can alternate them to distribute wear and tear. I have Orvis Sonic Seams (not Sonic Silvers) that I use in warmer weather and they're not bad but nothing I've owned breathes better than my G3's. The Orvis Sonic Seams do pack down to next to nothing though so for travel waders they are excellent.

von behr

Reaction score
I started with a pair of Orvis Silver Labels. They were great for the blowout price of $100.

After a few years, I noticed a couple of leaks and have had to seal a few seams. I used them a lot, so I'm not complaining. Last year, I decided to go for it and got the G3 Guide from Simms. Let's just say there's a huge difference in quality and materials.

The Simms waders are pricey, but they are pure quality and made in Montana.

South Holston

Reaction score
jayboy said a very important thing:When you're done with them, turn them inside out and hang them to try. Make sure the feet touch the floor so you're not stretching the seams. Then flip them and dry the outside.

Yes sir Simms is very good. And we carry them and sell them more than anything else. The Big S sells. But look at the build of the redington pro Sonics
and craftmanship and explain the $300 difference in price. With the zippered ones there is $400 difference in price.
As the kids always say.. ...jus sayin

rickf

Reaction score
I've tried most of them, and they all leak after a year or so (I go fly fishing all the time, and I give them pretty heavy use).

All waders always leak at the seams, which you can glue to fix every so often.

Orvis just came out with "sonic seam" or welded (melted) plastic with no stinkin' seams. Really, no seam thread at all in the waders. They are melted together at the factory!

A little pricey at $259, but I think they are worth every penny.

I've had a pair of "convertible" sonic waders for a few months now, and I love them. Very comfy, easy to get on and off, and I really don't think they will leak for a awful long time!

Edit: When every company says "Sonic" it's just to copy Orvis and mix you up. They all have stitches and glue like every wader ever made ........ except Orvis! the new technology "sonic seam" means melted together with no stinkin' glue or thread. Even Orvis has "sonic" which is just a name? Only the sonic seam Convertible has melted plastic..... that's why all the old style stitched waders are on sale!

trout champ

Reaction score
I have a pair of old school Simms Guide waders and they are damn near bomb proof. I have worn them at least once a week for the last five years or so. I have worn them hiking into Cheeseman Canyon, easily 2 or 3 miles one way, I've worn them in drift boats floating the Arkansas, I even wore them hiking up a mountain to fish a little gem called Ptarmigin Lake. I have cooked in them at camp, slid down rocky hillsides (both intentional and unintentionally), worked countless hours doing stream side restorations, bushwhacked my way through thorny bushes and even slept in them one time.

They fit extremely well. They breathe great. Simms are made in Montana. I have never had to use their repair services, yet, but I know guys that have and they are out of this world. Simms really does stand behind their products.

Mine have just started to leak right around the bootie seams on both feet. Other than that there have been some pinholes easily fixed with some alcohol and Aquaseal. They have served me well. I will only use Simms waders!

Randy

86celtics

Reaction score
One of the things I've noticed over the years about waders and their longevity is that you really need to make sure you get a size that fits properly. If you get them and they are too big or too small, that can lead towards premature wear. Make sure you allow room for layers in the seasons and climate you're fishing in.

Also, consider what type of fishing you do and the things you need to go through to get to where you're fishing. If you're bushwhacking, you might want waders with more substantial layers on the legs. If you don't wade deep, you might even consider waist high waders.

When you're done with them, turn them inside out and hang them to try. Make sure the feet touch the floor so you're not stretching the seams. Then flip them and dry the outside.

Get waders from a company that you know will stand behind them. Simms, Bean, Patagonia, Orvis all seem to be pretty solid. I've used Orvis wader repair and they were excellent. Bean's Warranty is legendary, and Simms will do your first repair for free on the G3's.

Lots of guys that fish a lot own more than one pair of waders. If one pair needs to go back for service, there's another to use. Or you can alternate them to distribute wear and tear. I have Orvis Sonic Seams (not Sonic Silvers) that I use in warmer weather and they're not bad but nothing I've owned breathes better than my G3's. The Orvis Sonic Seams do pack down to next to nothing though so for travel waders they are excellent.
That was prefect - exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks.

kicker19

Reaction score
the longrvity depneds on several things; the quality of waders you invest in, how much they are used, what conditions you put them through, how well you maintain them. if your going to be using them alot, going to be rough with them, or going to be in harsh conditions then invest in a higher quality, you get what you pay for (leakes are going to happen no matter which you choose). ive known people to get a cheap pair and they didnt last long, others invested the money into a good pair, maintained them, and have lasted for years. i have a pair of Simms Freestones, 3 years of use, hiking, climbing over trees and rocks, have not had any issues. my best friend owns a pair of Orvis, 12 years of use, used to be a guide in Colorado and is pretty rough of them and they are still in working condition.

kicker19

Reaction score
very true ! when i purchased my first pair i thought it was odd when i was told to get a pair of wading boots a size larger. so glad i learned that before buying. the set fits like a glove now, i couldn't imagine how awful it would be if it fit tighter

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I switched from simms to cabelas 6 years ago after swearing I would never use another wader. I had been in simms since 1992. Cabelas had these guide waders on sale for 169...so I picked them up and man what a pair of waders they have been. I really don't know anyone harder on their wading gear than myself. I am not sure who I will go with next time but I just wanted to throw the Cabelas wader into the mix because they are a company that stands behind their stuff and it almost seems like simms may make that wader for them.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Simms are undoubtedly the best and most elegantly constructed...but just as easily punctured or degraded as Chinese breathables at a fraction of the cost. Get waders with the features you need; I like hand warmer pockets, belt loops and stretchy, built-in gravel cuffs that are full fitting enough to fit a fleece jacket into and allow good freedom of movement. I got new high end waders last Spring and got the better part of the season out of them before seam failure occurred and now I have a brand new replacement pair due to good customer service. At best, and I am not a guide but do go fishing a fair bit, I have gotten as many as three seasons out of lucky pairs of waders.

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
I wear a pair of reddington sonic pro waders. From what I hear they are very similar to the orvis. I am extremely happy with mine.

I am on my second pair, first one didn't last 6 months. The replacements although the same size are a tighter fit and seem to be showing signs of wear much quicker than the first pair. The first pair never showed any signs of wear but had a seam failure.