Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Raft.....Help Me Decide.....

If you keep them out in the sun and heat in AZ. the UV radiation is gonna be tough on the hull material. For outdoor down there I would have some sort of shade for sure, you'll also want to have a 2 stage hand pump........... The reason for the pump is that you'll have to watch how much air you have in during hot conditions there. When you go to a cooler area and put a raft into cool water the air will condense and you'll need to firm it up. When you are done fishing you'll have to release some air so that you don't pop the seams on the way home.

Rafts don't take a whole lot of air once you reach the critical mass stage of inflation. By that I mean the stage between soft tubes and really firm tubes. Being in a hot climate will just mean a little more caution and care. I really wouldn't leave a raft out in the sun year round but it will be your raft so....

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes waterfordcreek liked this post

Default Re: Raft.....Help Me Decide.....

Ard,

Thats helpful on the size. I was leaning towards the 13' but sounds like bigger is better eh? 90% of the time it's going to be wife, black lab, and me. Then occasional trips with 2-3 guys when buddies are in town. You think 13'6" would be the smarter buy? Probably won't do a lot of long haul trips but plan on quite a few 1-3 day floats. I thought a smaller boat would be more maneuverable but you got me leaning towards the bigger setup now.

4. Default Re: Raft.....Help Me Decide.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    If you keep them out in the sun and heat in AZ. the UV radiation is gonna be tough on the hull material. For outdoor down there I would have some sort of shade for sure, you'll also want to have a 2 stage hand pump........... The reason for the pump is that you'll have to watch how much air you have in during hot conditions there. When you go to a cooler area and put a raft into cool water the air will condense and you'll need to firm it up. When you are done fishing you'll have to release some air so that you don't pop the seams on the way home.

Rafts don't take a whole lot of air once you reach the critical mass stage of inflation. By that I mean the stage between soft tubes and really firm tubes. Being in a hot climate will just mean a little more caution and care. I really wouldn't leave a raft out in the sun year round but it will be your raft so....
    NO worries there, but I appreciate the heads up. She'll have a cover and be garage kept!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12