Fishing etiquette! Do people have any?

1move

Reaction score
Is there any? Apparently not where we go fishing. I read the post this morning http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/321092-why-do-people-have-knuckleheads.html and we had a similar thing happen. The wife and I went out fishing to a stocked pond as the rivers are high and very dirty in my opinion and its run-off. We came up to the pond at about 8:30 am and picked a nice quiet spot away from everyone. There were quite a few people around the entire pond. We started fishing next to one another and within minutes we were hooked into fish as others looked on 1,2,3, 4 fish and we were having a blast. Slowly people started merging towards us and set up shop next to us. There was not much room behind us to cast and now we had people walking in behind us trying to see what we were using and the fish that we were catching.

I ended up casting, trying to be careful and some lady walked right behind me and I hooked onto her scarf. We went from nobody around us to about 20 people right where we were fishing in a matter of minutes. The woman had the nerve to tell me to watch what I am doing. I responded back with a "you should watch where you walk" she did not like that too much. By now nobody has caught anything and my wife and I are the only ones fly fishing and catching fish and "in the way" of others as we are in the water with our waders on. Soon enough people started throwing their bait and spin reel lines on top of ours and getting us tangled up. We also released most of the fish we caught, we kept a few for us, the people were getting so mad and asking us to give them the fish instead of putting it back. I just smiled and said I guess you have to learn how to fish to get the prize and work for it. :eek:

By no means was it a snobby comment but a few people took offense and we just decided it was best to leave that area. By now everyone has set up in the same location as us and the rest of the pond was empty. We walked over to the other side and started fishing again and hooked into a few fish. By no means are we experts we have been fly fishing for about a year now and we had a heck of time. We ended up catching 52 fish and making just as many people mad by releasing them back. We did not let it get to us but people seemed to just flock to where we were. I ended up catching a large fish and one woman was trying to talk us down by saying she hates large fish and that they are no fun. Well I had a heck of a time and here is a few photos during the day. I had a wonderful time and I did not let any of it get to us as I was spending time with someone I love doing something we both love. :wiggle:

This rainbow was released from a hatchery I am guessing they used it for spawning. Either way it was a fun fish to catch it was 10lbs and 26.5"

Last edited:

chased

Reaction score
Exact thing seems to happen in the lakes and ponds I fish. It annoys the heck out of me. Anyways, that is a beast of a Bow. Look at the shoulders on that thing!!!

-Chase

plecain

Reaction score
This is a tough call.

Generally, when others show up I just leave. At my age (66), I don't need the aggravation. I know lots of places to fish. In most of those places, it's rare to see anyone else, ever.

I know it's tough to leave a favorite, or like this, great, spot. Each of us needs to make the call for himself.

When I read posts like this, I am just amazed at the ignorance of some of these so-called 'sportsman'. You couldn't hold a gun to my head and get me to horn in on someone's spot.

shimloom

Reaction score
People seem to want to get right on top of you when you catch fish. Seen it on streams, lakes and the ocean. I have told a number of people over the years that if they get on top of my spot I will keep snagging their lines until they leave.

I have thrown lures at other boats if they get to close as well, and that can start a conversation. It seems people who can't fish find those who can. I have had several people ask me for my fish when I release them, I simply tell them to learn to fish and they can catch there own, that sends them on their way, most times. I have grown tired of the buttheads of this world and the nonsense.

Craig

1move

Reaction score
What strikes me the most was the attitude and ignorance of not giving a **** about other people. 4 guys ran over when I caught the big one and while we were taking pictures they threw their lines right into the place where I pulled this guy from. I asked them to leave as my rod was right there and a bunch of other stuff and they shifted a bit and kept going into the same area. I was debating if I should start throwing rocks in there to scare the fish just because I was so mad. Honestly it was like a cartoon, they ran over with their little buckets and setup shop. It was ridicules to say the least and sad at the same time. You can see in one of the photos of the culprit with a chair, he was there within seconds of me catching that fish.

It is truly sad that some people have no connection to nature or humanity.

yonder

Reaction score
People seem to want to get right on top of you when you catch fish. Seen it on streams, lakes and the ocean. I have told a number of people over the years that if they get on top of my spot I will keep snagging their lines until they leave.

I have thrown lures at other boats if they get to close as well, and that can start a conversation. It seems people who can't fish find those who can. I have had several people ask me for my fish when I release them, I simply tell them to learn to fish and they can catch there own, that sends them on their way, most times. I have grown tired of the buttheads of this world and the nonsense.

Craig
We have these lures on the North Carolina coast called "Gotcha Plugs!!" I am sure you have them also.......I never really figured out the gotcha thing.......is it for the fish, or the boats???? Just saying........anyway.....I know how frustrating it can be........:)

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

How about the people who walk into your fishing line at the coast, and get mad, because they are so..........unobservant????:confused::confused::)

half fast

Reaction score
I've seen this sort of thing while fishing. Interestingly, when I go dove hunting at one of the state fields it's completely opposite. Everyone is courteous, everyone leaves plenty of room for the other folks, and everyone helps each other out when it comes to spotting a downed bird or whatever. Great camaraderie, all the shooters are friendly and pleasant.

Somehow loaded shotguns seem to make everyone much more polite. Maybe you could try toting a 12ga on your next fishing trip.....?

kevin2

Reaction score
I was fishing my favorite stretch of river last year, during a big spinner fall, 30 minutes before dark. The dream hour. Anyways, there were fisherman stretched out about every 50-100 yards, in this pretty small river, 15-25 feet wide, 1-3 feet deep tops. You had a spot & everyone seemed to be respecting where you set up shop. From up river some clod comes dregging down the middle of the river RIGHT THREW everyones fishing spots ON his way back to the lodge about 1/2 mile down river.

Now, when he got to me, I stopped him cold & directed him off the river & to the path that made its way TO HIS destination. He was like, "can't I just walk past you, I won't get in your way?" & I simply told him, "I'm fishing these fish, you come by me & those fish are leaving, please take the path." Some people, not all people, are disrespectful, clueless, & selfish.

williamhj

Reaction score
Is there any?
Yes there is. Many people have good etiquette. There are some who cross lines out of ignorance as well as others who don't seem to have any at all. The problem is, the latter group tends to be the most visible.

Engaging people like that is usually a waste of time. Very few rude people are teachable in the moment. It hard to change their behavior but easy to be brought down to their level. Tough remember when they are interfering with good fishing.

Nice fish by the way.

brucerducer

Reaction score
So true Guys, and at the core of it all, is that if we really start talking to people when we are there to fish, or try to educate, after they turn a private event into a media circus, we just aren't fishing anymore, but interacting with the crowd and coping with the intense emotions we fish to avoid.

noreaster

Reaction score
So true Guys, and at the core of it all, is that if we really start talking to people when we are there to fish, or try to educate, after they turn a private event into a media circus, we just aren't fishing anymore, but interacting with the crowd and coping with the intense emotions we fish to avoid.
You said it. I guess I am really spoiled here in Atlantic Canada. I only truly enjoy myself when I am by myself fishing. There are enough creeks, streams, ponds,and rivers here, where you can pretty much not see a soul all day. It really would turn to something else when the above occurs. I'd say time to move on. I'd rather fish nice waters alone with no bites then crowded rude waters with bites. Just me though. Lovely big bow there in the OP.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
If you can stand to have it stuck in your face, a good cigar is a wonderful thing for occasions like that.

Our streams here are mostly combat waters, where you are fishing shoulder to shoulder and the bait huckers dont like the fly fishermen much. So a simple cigar solves that problem. For one, most people dont want to be close to you from the smell, even though I think they are wonderful. Secondly, when they start to purposly cast across your line or tangle you up, you say i'll take care of it, pull the line in and when you are untangling it, just "accidently" bump there line with the end of the cigar. It will burn it right off and problem is solved for the next 5 minutes while they tie on a new hook and bait.

It sucks but thats just the way we have to do it here. Also very loss loops will generally get people out of the way.

Bonefishdick

Reaction score
I was fishing upstream and had NUMBER OF FISH RISING just below a small foot bridge hat crossed the creek when along comes a kid about 10 or 11 years old who starts to fish off the bridge and drifting his fly down stream towards me which means I got to stand there and stare at him and it did not seem to faze him.

The point of the story his his father was standing next to him on the bridge and did not seam to have enough common sense to tell the kid that what he was doing was exactly the wrong thing to do. The old man just watched the kid. I guess if you start training them young to be totally to be IGNORANT, then that is what you are going to get from them when they grow up. Obviously the father learned his lesson well from his father.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
There's the source of your problems. At least, that was my experience back in PA... where ever those white trucks go, "issues" soon follow.
Joe's right, I avoid "stocked ponds" due to the type of people it attracts and the issues you have described.

nick k

Reaction score
I've seen this sort of thing while fishing. Interestingly, when I go dove hunting at one of the state fields it's completely opposite. Everyone is courteous, everyone leaves plenty of room for the other folks, and everyone helps each other out when it comes to spotting a downed bird or whatever. Great camaraderie, all the shooters are friendly and pleasant.

Somehow loaded shotguns seem to make everyone much more polite. Maybe you could try toting a 12ga on your next fishing trip.....?
Haha didn't see your last line until I began typing. I was going to say, I think I'd be a little more courteous to someone holding a firearm than a fly rod.

I never give people the fish I catch, but I always just say something simple like: "I'm sorry, I try to release everything I catch." Most people get it. If they have something to say past that, than so do I.

plecain

Reaction score
Fishing etiquette! The positive side.

While I tend to avoid others when I'm fishing, sometimes that's not possible.

10 days ago, I took my 9-yr-old granddaughter back to a stream I had fished earlier in the day.

It's a stocked stream. There were a few fisherman there. They couldn't have been nicer. As we were leaving, one even asked if we minded if he took her spot (she had hooked 8 and landed 4 rainbows there).

So, yes, sometimes there is real fishing etiquette out there.