Boca Grande, Florida - "Tarpon Capital of the World"

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope you might enjoy this trip report on Fish&Fly of my recent visit to south west Florida and in particular covering the World's Richest Tarpon Tournament held in the famous Boca Grande Pass each year. It is not a fly fishing tournament but it is very interesting.

Please click here ->Boca Grande Tarpon Tournament Makes a Splash

Quite an experience being out in the midst of the action for the 2 afternoons on the press boat which was a 32' Boston Whaler with triple, yes triple Mercury outboards. About $1/4 million worth of boat we were told - yikes!

Managed to get a little beach and bay fishing in too while I was there for snook, spotted trout, redfish and ladyfish which were great fun. Very nice family holiday area too thanks to the great beaches.

Anyway, you will find all the details and information you need in the article.

Thanks,

Paul

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
I meant to add I would be interested to hear if any of you have fished tarpon either in the Pass itself or in the area? How was your experience? Any photos to share?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Paul: Great story! Maybe someday I will get down there to give Tarpon a try.
Davo's father lives in Florida and he tries to visit twice a year and they fish for Tarpon. I know that Davo has hooked into a few with a fly rod, not sure if he has ever landed one.

waterfordcreek

Reaction score
My first **** came from the pass....2002. The Capt. estimated the fish around 150.

The pass is a zoooo. Amazing job done by the Capt's that fish it.

From what i am hearing, the numbers have been down this year.

The PTTS is something i disagree with. Thats just me.

If your looking for toons on the fly..the Homosassa area and Crystal rivers are my choice. Miles and miles of gin clear flats.....and very spooky tarpon.

Jim

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
ditz - you will be glad to hear that the 'World's Richest' tourney is run to very strict rules about tackle strength, using only live bait and circle hooks on the drift and length of fight with quick releases at the boat. Conservation and education is very strong behind this tournament and they are allied with Save the Tarpon and the Bonefish and Tarpon Trust.

I read up on the PTTS arguments before I left and like most did not like what I saw, but it appears they are also making positive changes to their format in light of the criticisms and until I know more about it I won't comment any further for now.

But back to fly fishing. I have been lucky to land a fair few on the fly to date in Mexico and Belize but no real giants. I would really like the chance to sight fish for one sometime and see it up close. Watch this space.... :thmbup:

efbride

Reaction score
There are guides in Boca Grand that fish for Tarpon off the beaches with flies and do well. I guess they swim in circles going up and down the beach just off shore.

Boca is best for Red Fish and Snook in my opinion. Tarpon on a fly is better further south because of water clarity. Snook in the Mangroves can be explosive and big reds on the flats just off the pass can be huge.

Awesome place to take a Holiday.