High Mountain Lake Fun…

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
Just recently returned from a high Mountain Brook Trout Lake… The word that best describes this trip… Fun. I am mostly a river fly-fisher, but I do fish from a float tube every once in a while typically chasing very large fish. This trip was about lots of small beautifully colored hard fighting Brookies. My buddy Adam brought his sixteen year old son Anthony for his first float tube experience. While dressing and getting into our waders, we noticed some dark brown leeches about 3”-4” in length, this made our fly selection very easy. We were into fish within five minutes of getting to the right area of the lake ( the edge of lily pads ). Thankfully, the fish we eager to please. What these fish lack in size, they more than make up for it in color and vigor. I often thought I had a much larger fish on the line until I got the fish to the net. After netting maybe 25-30 fish from the depths of the lake, I decided to go for some top-water action. The fun of throwing big dry’s to eager Brook Trout had me laughing out loud. It seemed the larger the dry fly, the more aggressive the strike.
The hungry Brookies made our hope of teaching Anthony how to set the hook and get the fish onto the reel very easy. After a few missed strikes and a couple lessons of (too much line out and too short of net handle), Anthony quickly mastered the art of landing fish. We all know and appreciate how important it is to teach the younger generation the experiences of fly fishing, but every-time I actually partake in these teaching moments, I always’ get invigorated to do more teaching / educating.
It seems as the years pass, I garner more and more pleasure from teaching others our wonderful sport. Don’t get me wrong, my best moments are alone, on the river throwing small flies to big trout. But with each passing season, I do appreciate getting the younger generation involved more and more.
High Mountain lakes make the perfect classroom for the new fly fishers. Many hungry trout that are eager to please.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Mike: Congrats, on a great trip, it sure looks like fun!
I know what you mean about teaching, last year we did a horse pack trip into the Wind River Range and had two 16 year olds along that had never fly fished. I brought along two extra rods and reels, gave them a short demo on casting, then we all hit the lake for some small cutties. We never did get a chance to try nymphs or streamers, it was just too much fun watching those beautiful fish come up and grad those small dries we were offering up.