Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WAY to much time on my hands....

For the next couple months i will have a lot of extra time......

Looking for recommendations on good fly fishing reads.

Thanks.

Jim

Default Re: WAY to much time on my hands....

Try fishing, I heard it kills the time very quickly.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thumbs up Re: WAY to much time on my hands....

Easy call: "The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference" to Techniques and Dressing Styles.

Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer. Cover price is $100.00 but easy to find at half that price. They don't just show you 'one way' to do something, if there's a dozen they'll cover each and every.

A book you can open to any page and actually learn something.

Fred
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Jim:

Any serious fly fisher must read The Longest Silence by Tom McGuane. It's a collection of essays published about fly fishing in freshwater and salt and is simply some of the best writing about fly fishing ever. As a friend of mine put it, McGuane "gets it."

Anything by Roderick Haig-Brown is worth a look, especially A River Never Sleeps, The Western Angler, and the four volumes of Seasons of a Fisherman.

If it's steelhead you're interested in, take a look at Trey Combs' Fly Fishing for Steelhead.

Not about fly fishing per se, but Trout and Salmon of North America by Robert Behnke (illustrations by Joseph Tomellerri) is an amazing book, especially for anyone who fishes for trout or salmon. You'll learn a lot and the illustrations are breath-taking.

I just finished reading Ted Williams: Fishing the Big Three. For Williams, the "big three" were bonefish, tarpon, and Atlantic salmon. If you thought the guy was a great ballplayer, wait until you read what he has to say about fishing. Interesting stories about Williams fishing, and some really useful advice from him about going after each of the three species.

Scott

Taylor Streit - "Man vs. Fish" and "Instinctive Fly Fishing"

If you haven't read it then The River Why is a good read. No one mentioned it yet, perhaps because it is obvious but A River Runs Through It. In addition I'd say In Hemingway's Meadow which is a collection of stories, Splitting Cane which is about bamboo rod makers, stuff by Gierach, and An Entirely Synthetic Fish which is about Rainbow trout and planting fish, etc etc. I know I'm forgetting some.
    - William

Both books by Dave Ames: "A Good Life Wasted" and "True Love and the Wooley Bugger". He has a third novel out, "Dances with Sharks" that I haven't read yet. The first two are outstanding entertainment. Near the top of my favorites list.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

I am not sure if anyone has read this but I love it. I read a page every day and start again. Very good little book and I truly enjoy it, Its the little red book of fly fishing

Any of the books by John Gierach, they are very good books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast