Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: these fishes suck...

Angry these fishes suck...

so i was on the lower kings river today here in fresno, trekking along the river fishing for rainbows when i notice huge pods of what i believe to be sacramento sucker fish. has anyone ever tried fishing for these things? they're HUGE!!! what do they hit on? i figured they'd be like carp so i tried nymphing for them but , alas to no avail.

Blog Entries

Default Re: these fishes suck...

Think it's the same challenge as our european"hotus"https://www.google.com/search?q=hotu&hl=fr&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa= X&ei=2na9UarqO8qChQfHj4FQ&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1280&bi h=899...you're right these fish suck to eat algae...so you may catch one on a nymph but it's very rare...these fish are a real brain teaser for flyfishermen.I tried lots of different nymph even algae looking ones without great success...I accidentally caught a couple big ones on an orange nymph

i will make it my life goal to catch one of these hideous badboys!!!

Blog Entries

I have had success on other Sucker species with a marabout leech fished slowly......very slowly.
    Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.

by suckers, do you mean white fish?

Looks like an ocean whitefish. Here in Idaho we have the Mountain whitefish
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_whitefish"]Mountain whitefish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

They will take the same nymphs as trout, but not dries.

Blog Entries

Here in Idaho, when we talk suckers they look like this and they take a well presented nymph most of the time. I caught my biggest sucker at the Box Canyon stretch of the Henry's Fork about 8 years ago - 6 pounds, and rust colored. He took a Prince nymph.

The following fish were caught at various times and in various places while nymphing. They put up a great fight:

There you have it. I guess beauty and sport is in the eye of the beholder, but these fish have provided some great action at times.

Kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

9. Likes mcnerney, Ard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by kayo View Post
    Looks like an ocean whitefish. Here in Idaho we have the Mountain whitefish

They will take the same nymphs as trout, but not dries.
    I hook them on dries.. usually very subtle takes.. drives me nuts when you finally hook one.. to see a whitey come in. lol
    Dave

@kglissmeyer1 i suppose ur right, but in my eyes the'yre hideous brutes but they look like they'd put up a good fight. regardless, im heading out sometime this week and giving the prince nymph a shot
    nice pics btw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast