Fishing shirts ?

siege

Reaction score
Believe it or not, our local Walmart has a fly fishing shop in it. I got one of their Bimini Bay fishing shirts as a gift. It is cut roomy, has all the gadgets for adjusting the collar ,sleeves, etc. There is a yoke back with a mesh panel, a velcro rod holder tab, good pockets and accesories. I don't remember what the SPF rating is, but it seemed comparable to others on the market. It sells for under $25 . They come in 3 or 4 light colors. My tan one stays pretty cool in the sun. It is light and thin, and wicks away moisture. Not bad for the money. Probably available on line at Wally World.

Last edited:

long bow

Reaction score
I'd say you generally have two options. One, and my favorite, is to go to the nearest goodwill store and shop there. A mother whose son has just moved away from college is always overjoyed to get rid of all the athletic gear he has amassed over the years. Those long-sleeve highschool warm up shirts are the same material as most high-priced "performance fishing" shirts are. And hopefully the kid didn't play too much and the shirt is in decent shape. That way, you get to rep your local highschool while holding a permit/bonefish/tarpon/browntrout of a lifetime.

I'd also throw out a company called "Freefly". They have bamboo based long sleeve and short sleeve shirts, and buffs too. Comfortable as all get out, and part of your purchase price goes to helping a non-profit water organization in Africa. We all fish in it here in the U.S., waaaay lucky when you realize how far people walk just to get some to drink.

mudbug

Reaction score
I just went though this.

I had a couple long sleeved, loose, wicking workout shirts I bought from walmart for about $15 to wear to the gym in the winter. I tried one fishing one day and loved it, it's worked great.

So I went to walmart and they no longer had them because they had moved on to summer clothes.

So, I found a couple Redington shirts at a local fly shop for $34. THey are great also and better priced than any of the other brand name performance fishing shirts you will find.

A few weeks later I was at Target and found that they had similar shirts on close out (left over from winter) for $11.

So basically. for the best deal on good shirts you can either wait till winter, or buy some Redington Lost River shirts.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Lots of name brands (Columbia, Redington, REI, LL Bean, ExOfficio, Reel Legends) are available on EBay for $5-30 plus shipping.

jcw355

Reaction score
I just googled lightweight longsleeve t-shirts. Bought 3 to try out in khaki and sagestone green color. They were less than $7 a piece. Im hoping they are lighter than my camo longsleeve shirts. 90-100 degree here fishing in the summer

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
I am a HUGE fan of the Columbia PFG stuff for milder days and as an underlayer during the winter.

For really hot and muggy days, the Columbia Omni-Freeze is stellar! A slight breeze will give me the chills at times even on the warmest days

jaybo41

Reaction score
Brookfield, I have seen those and have considered one for hot muggy days since I'm warm natured but have yet to pull the trigger. Sounds like you are sold on the technology of them and my kinda shirt!

I wear Bean's Tropicwear shirts. I'm sold on the quality and they perform well. I've had Columbia as well and they also hold up really well. Add to that a short or long sleeve wicking shirt underneath and that's my setup. If it gets really hot, I'll remove the base layer and go with the Tropicwear solo.

itchmesir

Reaction score
I'd love to try one of those newer Columbia AirGill shirts... but at $100 it's pretty tough to want to try one... I really like Gander Mountain's Guidewear and Cabela's Guidewear... Both very light and keep you cool even in the hot muggy augusts here in Minnesota...

alt1001

Reaction score
I buy Cabelas and love them. The reason is their 'Legendary Guarantee' states "Cabela's brand clothing and footwear is guaranteed for the lifetime of the product under normal wear and tear and defects in workmanship" and I have used it! If it has a defect, or you rip it on a on branch, or you fall down a stream bank and it has came apart at the seams, they will replace it.

ditz

Reaction score
I have some Columbia shirts and shorts but mostly I have Magellan. I have one on now. I currently own very little cotton and it is all quite old and I have outgrown most of it. I like the stuff. Lots of pockets and vents. Some of my stuff is pushing 10 years old I recon.:eek:

riderfisher

Reaction score
Columbia PFG's and Simms Guide shirts are both awesome; I wait until they go on sale midsummer and buy them discounted for the next season. :) Also really like Simms Core3 technical long sleeve T's- really keep you comfortable in the heat and humidity.

romanl

Reaction score
all i know is that i just bought my first fishing shirt about 2 or 3 weeks ago.
and have used it in some 90+*F days, and wow they really work.
kept me cool, protected from the sun, dry, etc.
i like this shirt so much now that i will get few more in different colors when i catch them on sale. (sizing is slightly loose in this model)
i got COLUMBIA TAMIAMI II l/s shirt, got it from Backcountry.com on sale for 25% off so total was $36 (BassPro would not match the price after they made me wait 20 some minutes while they went to ask 3 different managers, dont think ill shop there again for a little while)