An excuse to buy more fly rods

enolaeagle

Reaction score
My wife mentioned that I should take my daughter fishing with me. After an evening at the Allenberry section of the Yellow Breeches, I saw some of the classes going on and looked like good stuff... A few years ago, my wife and I went to the Allenberry Playhouse to see a musical which was a pretty neat experience so even though I live less than 30 minutes away, I think I'm gonna buy 2 flyrods (for the daughter and wifey), purchase one of the Musical, Dinner, Room packages and do some fishing/lessons to make a weekend out of it.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how much this post is costing me...:banghead:

siege

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to find a teenage boy who wants to go along and learn to fly fish ! Better add the cost of some pizzas to this little project.:(

jaybo41

Reaction score
Fortunately with fly fishing she only needs to look at pictures of bugs so she knows which fly to tie on. Better yet, she'll have Dad with her to do that :D

The memories you'll create together will far outweigh the cost of outfitting the wife and daughter.

dhaynes

Reaction score
Great idea for a weekend... My wife and I fished the Breeches last Saturday though we fished above Allenbury in the late afternoon and over near Mt. Holly Springs earlier. Saturday saw a lot of fishers in the Allenbury section but the area off Pine Road was empty!

We're close enough for a day trip but we try to do the full Allenbury thing at least once during the Spring or Summer. For learning, there are a number of good guides in the area... Tom Baltz from Mount Holly Springs and Mike Heck from Chambersburg (and there are others). Contact info for both is on the Orvis web-site...or PM me and I can give you contact info....

The Boiling Springs Tavern is a good alternative for dinner or lunch!

troutnut4

Reaction score
Family is number one and that sounds like a great plan you have there. Quality time and you get to do what you like as well. If you are just looking for an excuse to buy a couple more rods (and reels), well.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

tbum2020

Reaction score
Ask them if they saw the Americas Top Model episode where they revealed that 90% of all models say their biggest kept fitness secret is fly fishing...

nick k

Reaction score
Ask them if they saw the Americas Top Model episode where they revealed that 90% of all models say their biggest kept fitness secret is fly fishing...
I really don't see how fly fishing is good for fitness, unless you jog from your house to the river/pond, at least not in a significant way. Yeah you probably build a little muscle casting a rod all day, but I've been fly fishing for a long time and haven't notice the slightest increase in my strength or fitness because of it. Most of the time, you are standing in the same spot.

Maybe it's because none of us want to leave the water to go get food, so it's really controlled starvation.

diamond rush

Reaction score
I really don't see how fly fishing is good for fitness, unless you jog from your house to the river/pond, at least not in a significant way. Yeah you probably build a little muscle casting a rod all day, but I've been fly fishing for a long time and haven't notice the slightest increase in my strength or fitness because of it. Most of the time, you are standing in the same spot.

Maybe it's because none of us want to leave the water to go get food, so it's really controlled starvation.
Not sure where you fish, but this is one of my favorite brook trout spots:

nick k

Reaction score
I think at that point, hiking is their best kept fitness secret. Occasionally, while hiking, they do a little fly fishing.

enolaeagle

Reaction score
Looks like Elkhorn makes the only true purple rod that I've seen. She better love me because they cost more than any rod I have...

silvertip8k

Reaction score
based on the title of this thread I will make this remark... since the advent of the shorter 4 pc rods...there has not really been a reason to get permission slips any more to bring in new fly rods...

Yes there was a time way back when we had to pretend we hurt ouselves playing softball etc (our leg was very straight) and sneak into the house a new two piece purchase...:D (actually shotguns fell into that category too...)

dont laugh too hard...I bet I hold the record...I worked my PT jobs in fly and hunting shops to acquire all my precious booty......but with new technology we have been set free...

my only advice to get to the next level is this...start to make your own rods...OMG...the possibilities are limitless...t:)

Last edited: