Sage Sp 7100-3

Danielks

Reaction score
Hey guys, my name is Daniel. I recieved a Sage SP 7100-3 fly rod.. Here is its specs... 7100-3 #7 line 10'0" 4 3/8 oz and its a three piece.

The rod was paired with a Ross Reels Canyon BG-4 reel. the reel also says
Mark Luttenton on it.

I wanted to try fly fishing for Steel Head in Northern Michigan. Is this a good combo for this? I am new to Fly Fishing so I honestly have no idea what im doing and what gear to get.

p.s. I know this combo is slightly used but I am wondering what this combo might be worth and should I invest in something better if it is worthless.

I thank you guys for any info you might be able to give.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
. . . I recieved a Sage SP 7100-3 fly rod. . . should I invest in something better if it is worthless.
I'm not familiar with the reel, but I think Sage SP rods are generally considered some of the finest rods ever made. Since they're not made any more, about the only place you can find them is on eBay, and they generally go fast for a pretty good price.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Daniel,

You have a very nice setup for Michigan Steelhead. You have a good rod and a good reel, all you need is a good fly line. The 10' 7wt will be harder for you to learn to cast but it is doable. A few lessons would really cut down your learning curve and make it much easier to learn. A 10' rod works very well for Steelhead.

Danielks

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the info.... I took the gear out today and you were correct. It was a bit difficult to grasp it all. But I think I got the basics down. With practice I feel I will someday become very good at using it. Although I have heard that with fly fishing you never really stop learning. I look forward to the challenge.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
you are good for steelies. basically what I hear is all ya need is a 7 or 8 wt with a good adjustable drag. I have a 8wt $99 dollar cabelas setup for ohio steelies.

BigCliff

Reaction score
That's a great set-up and a really fine reel. The name is imprinted on there because Ross does this to prevent reselling of the reel. (the named person on the reel got quite a deal on it) I've got a couple Ross's with my name on it, and I sure wish I had that model as well.