Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default What's your favorite caddis emerger pattern?

I'm looking for something I can tie and fish. Any links to recipes would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Randy

Default Re: What's your favorite caddis emerger pattern?

I will give 'ya two that, in my experience, have really produced well...for me:

John Barr's Graphic Caddis...

Materials for the Tan and Olive Graphic Caddis

Charlie Craven has an excellent SBS tutorial on this pattern at Charlie's Flybox. This little guy can be tied in just about every color (by switching threads and micro tubing colors), to match most Caddis Emergers. It may be fished from the bottom to the top of the water column...One may also use a TMC 2488 hook for this pattern

Once the bug hits the surface and is struggling in the film, I use a Caddis Cripple pattern, like this:

RETRO CRIPPLED CADDIS

This pattern is an old one that I have updated with new materials. I recently did an SBS on this fly which may be found by using a search engine with the above title. One may use a Graphic Caddis under this pattern to cover all the bases. There are a lot of other good emerger and some cripple patterns out there...these two have consistently worked for me...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

3. Likes dakotakid, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

PT has shown you two beauties. Give them a try. I would add one more to your arsenal and that would be Craig Mathews' X-Caddis or improved X-Caddis. Both work wonders in front of caddis-feeding fish and they will both carry on into any hatch.

X-Caddis:

Improved X-Caddis:

I also advocate using Matthew's Iris Caddis:

All three have proven their worth in my fly box.

Kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

5. Likes mcnerney, rickr liked this post

Since noone mentioned yet, I have a question.

What size hook are these on and do you normally have a combo of different sizes or one?
    ~Todd
    "...Nympin' ain't Easy"

Chief Thread Starter
    Mother Approved...

Blog Entries

+1 on Kelly's X Caddis. That one has been good for me over the years. I've also seen a variant of that tied on a scud type hook and with CDC used for the wing instead of deer hair. I find myself fishing the CDC & Elk more than any other caddis pattern these days. The CDC rides a little lower a hackled fly and the CDC fibers seems to give the fly an emerger like effect. I tie mine in natural dun and tan. Most of my caddis are tied in 14 and 16, but that's also going to depend on where you're fishing them.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Leisenring Spider

Hook: standard wet-fly 12-16
    Thread: Primrose Yellow (Light Yellow)
    Hackle: Brown Partridge
    Body: Hare's Ear Dubbing
    Rib: Fine Gold Wire

Nice little article here by Mark Libertone... dude's a soft hackle genius: The Road to Wingless Wets - Soft Hackles, Spiders, and Flymphs. - Global FlyFisher
    "Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

10. Likes mcnerney, jaybo41, jeepster II, mtdave liked this post

I like Rosenbauer's rabbit's foot emerger. I think he tied it to imitate some mayflies but I've found it effective for caddis. Without weight it tends to float nicely in the film. I'll also trail it behind weight or a weighted nymph and fish it deeper. The antron, rabbit foot, and CDC are a great combination and you can mix and match colors. I use rabbit foot and hare's ear, antron, squirrel and other types of dubbing for it and use different colors of rabbit foot.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb2gG44lzEs]Tying a Rabbit's Foot Emerger Fly - YouTube[/ame]
    - William

12. Likes mcnerney, jaybo41 liked this post

I like soft hackles too, and there's a caddis hatch right now in a local river where if you're not using one of these, then you're doing it wrong.

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

14. Likes mcnerney, jaybo41, stenacron, jeepster II liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post

I like soft hackles too, and there's a caddis hatch right now in a local river where if you're not using one of these, then you're doing it wrong.

Yeah buddy, that's a good one.

If ever there was a fly better designed for Grannom hatches (than this one)... I haven't seen it.
    "Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

16. Likes jaybo41 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I don't know how I could forget Soft Hackles! Over the past couple of years I've been fishing them more and more, for one reason. They're DEADLY!

stenacron,

I tied a pattern very similar to the Leisenring Spider you posted with a couple of differences. Mine was tied on a jig hook and with a bead (rides hook point up) and instead of Partridge, I used Starling and it had a tuft of Hares Ear for the tail. Basically a Soft Hackle Hairs Ear. Same Hare's Ear dubbing and wrap with gold wire. It did well for me. What's interesting is I just had the idea and tied it, but of course like so many other patterns, someone has already tied it.

FWIW, I agree, that pattern Rip posted would be an ideal grannom pattern.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast